Poll

What's better for a team's future?

Make the playoffs Below .500.  Get swept in Round 1.  Pick #15
30 (34.5%)
Miss the Playoffs.  Have 9th best Draft odds.
57 (65.5%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: Better to be swept in Round 1 and pick #15... or have 9th best draft odds?  (Read 27352 times)

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
btw my beef with all the people that think making the playoffs will raise the value of our pieces....look at Brandon Bass or Hump. Keeping them only got us a late 2nd rounder and te, and the 2nd rounder may not be transferable this year.

Its a joke.

What raises the value of any player is becoming a better player. Not being on a "playoff" team..
Here's a question for you...

Say Indiana and Boston tied.  Say Boston won the tie-breaker and made the playoffs.  Say Atlanta wins easily.   Is anyone seriously going to suggest that Boston's players are significantly better than Indiana's players?    Does merely making the playoffs regardless of the playoff results somehow negate the fact that we're a below .500 team of role players?   

What if we made the playoffs and got blown out/swept?   Wouldn't our players, getting exposed as chumps in the National Spotlight, end up losing trade value compared to Indiana who avoids the embarrassing 4 games?  Could the playoffs actually hurt our player's trade value?

To be honest, if NBA GM's are judging individual player values by the collective performance of the team over a four-game stretch, they won't be NBA GM's for long.  No, it won't hurt players' trade values one iota.  The Celtics were 12-21 when the Green trade was initially agreed to, and that didn't stop us from getting essentially a 1st and a 2nd for him.  If Kelly olynyk shoots 35% from three in the playoffs and the C's get swept, it won't really matter in terms of trading him, insomuch as that's your goal.

Nor will it hurt the ability of the Celtics to attract free agents.  Most free agents, despite protestations to the contrary, are going to go where the money is first, and where they think they'll be happy second.  The Celtics aren't in the market for vets to fill a roster who might think differently.  They're looking for 25-29 year-olds entering their prime, who think they're good enough to win on their own.  That the Celtics are winning and Stevens is getting platitudes thrown his way might help slightly, but that's about it.  Losing in the playoffs, even decisively, will be quickly forgotten, and ancient history by the time free agents come along in July.

In truth, here's the choice: Do you want Stevens, and to a lesser extent his players, getting a taste of playoff basketball and learning about it for the future, and maybe getting lucky and winning a series or event two, or do you want a somewhat better draft pick and a chance to maybe get lucky and get a really good draft pick?  Some of us like watching the Celtics play, and others who don't really like the team's current constitution don't. That's it, and trying to convince people who enjoy different things to change their desires is really pointless, and beyond old on these forums.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
btw my beef with all the people that think making the playoffs will raise the value of our pieces....look at Brandon Bass or Hump. Keeping them only got us a late 2nd rounder and te, and the 2nd rounder may not be transferable this year.

Its a joke.

What raises the value of any player is becoming a better player. Not being on a "playoff" team..

Say Indiana and Boston tied.  Say Boston won the tie-breaker and made the playoffs.  Say Atlanta wins easily.   Is anyone seriously going to suggest that Boston's players are significantly better than Indiana's players?    Does merely making the playoffs regardless of the playoff results somehow negate the fact that we're a below .500 team of role players?   

What if we made the playoffs and got blown out/swept?   Wouldn't our players, getting exposed as chumps in the National Spotlight, end up losing trade value compared to Indiana who avoids the embarrassing 4 games?  Could the playoffs actually hurt our player's trade value?

Only if you believe that there is such a thing as negative publicity.

I suppose it would be a negative if Brad Stevens had a mental breakdown after the 3rd loss, where he ended up literally killing a referee at half court, and had to go to jail for aggravated manslaughter.

Has there been a live death on national TV since Oswald? I'm liking this hypothetical you've presented.

Bud Dwyer?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Its a joke.

I suppose it would be a negative if Brad Stevens had a mental breakdown after the 3rd loss, where he ended up literally killing a referee at half court, and had to go to jail for aggravated manslaughter.

Has there been a live death on national TV since Oswald? I'm liking this hypothetical you've presented.

Bud Dwyer?

Nice find, or memory! Though not really national TV, still televised. I had to Google it. TP.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Re: the aforementioned Stevens, looks like some of his peers are sitting up and paying attention:

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/12561718/boston-celtics-coach-brad-stevens-poise-patience-starting-pay-off
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Its a joke.

Bud Dwyer?

Nice find, or memory! Though not really national TV, still televised. I had to Google it. TP.

Pretty horrific stuff, but there's a photograph of him that's extraordinarily memorable - it's on his wikipedia page.

Also, the video is on youtube.  :-\
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
My order of preference is 8th seed, stay out of playoffs, 7th seed.
This is why yesterday's loss does not bother me that much  ;D
I very much prefer playing against Atlanta than against the Cavs.

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
My order of preference is 8th seed, stay out of playoffs, 7th seed.
This is why yesterday's loss does not bother me that much  ;D
I very much prefer playing against Atlanta than against the Cavs.

Not playing the Cavs I gather is a universal feeling. So much so that I wonder if at the end of the season depending how the records play out, we might see some odd 7th and 8th seed tanking.

And to D.o.s, I'm not even going there. I can barely stomach the Kevin Ware injury and Nicole Simpson/Ron Goldman crime scene photos.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Ive been on the playoff bandwagon all year, and I think a lot of good has come from not tanking. We got Isaiah Thomas, we got to see guys like Smart and Bradley play in meaningful games. We as fans got to watch some great basketball. I think Stevens probably grew more than anyone. However, now, I think it is for the best that we fade out of this race  and end up in the 9 spot. Ive been feeling this way for the past week or so.

At 9th in the draft, we have a 6% chance at the Lotto but more importantly it garuntees us that one of the 5, Winslow, Johnson, Hezonja, Porzingis, WCS will be available when we pick and if we want to move up we could probably secure the #7 pick. This would allow us to fill out hole at SF with do everything defenders like Stanley Johnson and Winslow, or grab potentially our next stud scorer in Hezonja or Porzingis, or finally get that rim protector.

For me the difference in talent between picks 2-5 and 6-10 are not worth the sucking required to wind up top 5. but the difference between 6-10 (the guys I mentioned) and 15-20 (Turner, Oubre, Poeltl, etc) is worth a little bit of sucking for these past 10 games.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
There is no question in my mind that I favor the 9th pick over making the playoffs and losing badly to Atlanta.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
the game tonight with the clips is one more nail in the coffin of this argument. no way is this team close to being a playoff ready team. more talent is needed. ONE ROUTE to more talent is better draft position.

i prefer this season that the celtics have the #11-12 pick, and then trade up to #8-9. there should be some good talent event that deep into this draft.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
the game tonight with the clips is one more nail in the coffin of this argument. no way is this team close to being a playoff ready team. more talent is needed. ONE ROUTE to more talent is better draft position.

i prefer this season that the celtics have the #11-12 pick, and then trade up to #8-9. there should be some good talent event that deep into this draft.

I wish we started tanking earlier..

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
The bottom line is Ainge needs to score big in free agency. Millsap, Jordan, Gasol, Monroe or whomever might be targeted.
If you have to over pay so be it. If you need Cap space you trade a future #1 with a Wallace expiring contract to clear space. Maybe that allows you to sign 2 big name Free Agents in 15.

Yes #9 in the 15 draft should net you a very good player so when u do make the playoffs you have a chance to win a series, not just show up..

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

And another is free agency, I'd say make the playoffs get some experience for the young players, draft at 15 or trade up and go strong for a free agent.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

i blame IT. if only he were injured more, he celtics would have lost more games.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

you'll always have Philly, kid. libertytballers.com
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo