Author Topic: Moving Up In The Draft?  (Read 9732 times)

Re: Moving Up In The Draft?
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2015, 12:33:07 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I wouldn't be against packaging the picks we get from the nets in 2017 and 2018 to move up. With the salary cap increasing, the Nets could easily rebuild quick. Those future draft picks from the Nets are not looking as good as they were. Might as well try to sell high before those picks lose value.

I would say it could be the opposite. The cap increase is going to give almost every team real cap room going forward. With so many places to pick from, why would anyone choose the Nets? Their not even NYCs flagship franchise, and with Phil and Melo in NY, you figure anyone seeking a glamour market goes there. It wouldn't surprise me if all three of those picks ended up being somewhere in the lottery, even if it's late. The east is getting better, Brooklyn's getting much worse, and they really don't have many assets coming their way in the next four years. I don't think they'll all be lottery, but it could happen.

And that's not even getting into the ownership mess there.
I think the small market teams are going to struggle with the new cap structure and probably be conservative initially. At the same time, I can see over aggressive owners like the Nets getting anyone and over spending to get those players.

I just don't see how you can be optimistic that the Nets will not land at least one top talent with the new cap structure.
Why would a top talent want to go there and play with past their prime players. I'm much more worried that the Knicks will land a top player than the nets.
We'll have to wait and see but it would be a surprise if the Nets did not at least over bid for players.

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2015, 02:27:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I wouldn't be against packaging the picks we get from the nets in 2017 and 2018 to move up. With the salary cap increasing, the Nets could easily rebuild quick. Those future draft picks from the Nets are not looking as good as they were. Might as well try to sell high before those picks lose value.

I would say it could be the opposite. The cap increase is going to give almost every team real cap room going forward. With so many places to pick from, why would anyone choose the Nets? Their not even NYCs flagship franchise, and with Phil and Melo in NY, you figure anyone seeking a glamour market goes there. It wouldn't surprise me if all three of those picks ended up being somewhere in the lottery, even if it's late. The east is getting better, Brooklyn's getting much worse, and they really don't have many assets coming their way in the next four years. I don't think they'll all be lottery, but it could happen.

I think the small market teams are going to struggle with the new cap structure and probably be conservative initially. At the same time, I can see over aggressive owners like the Nets getting anyone and over spending to get those players.

I just don't see how you can be optimistic that the Nets will not land at least one top talent with the new cap structure.
Why would a top talent want to go there and play with past their prime players. I'm much more worried that the Knicks will land a top player than the nets.
We'll have to wait and see but it would be a surprise if the Nets did not at least over bid for players.

Are you talking about post summer 2016? Because do they even have any room to sign anybody this coming summer? At least that'd give us one really good year with them potentially being super bad. I can definitely see this in the summer of 2016, though.

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2015, 09:17:06 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
This guy Lyles from Kentucky is having a nice start in this West Virginia Kentucky game.

If we end up with the 15th pick, I hope we take this guy.

He has a very similar game to KO.

Lyles is much quicker than KO especially on the defensive end

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2015, 09:21:57 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Quote from: tazzmaniac link=topic=77147.msg1852552#
[quote author=Quetzalcoatl link=topic=77147.msg1852090#msg1852090 date=1427323474
I really want to trade up for Hezonja.  I hope we can do Sully + our pick + Young for him.  It would be worth it
Yes it would but its very unlikely if we end up with the 15th or 16 pick.  I don't think Sully had much trade value coming into a contract year.  With his injury and the latest story on his weight issues, I think his value is about zero.  Young hasn't done anything to boost his value.

I don't think Sullinger's trade value is zero, he's still a pretty talented player.
[/quote

IF Sullinger commits himself to getting in shape this off season the player is a keeper. If not, cut bait!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:27:50 PM by flybono »

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 09:58:10 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

I can see it rather easily. Assume that by then Iso Joe is about to retire, Deron Williams will be two-three years older and a free agent. Lopez might still be around, but if he's your best player your a bottom 5 lottery team. If you were a top free agent, (of which there is probably ten-fifteen players who could actually make them a playoff team) why would you want to sign there? They can't just offer the most money because of bird rights and the fact that any "top" guy who's gonna make that big of a difference is going to get max offers elsewhere. They don't have very good players, they have no avenue to get better outside of free agency. They have a horrible GM. Sure they're in NYC, but the Knicks are far more attractive with Phil and Carmelo plus that top 5 pick. Besides, not everyone has LaLa for a wife and only cares about getting the most money in the biggest market.

Most players care more about being somewhere they will be happy, appreciated and have a real chance to win. And that's not even acknowledging the fact that Prokorov is looking to sell in the next couple years, and as long as he owns them they aren't going to spend like that again. No draft picks, no trade assets, no young core players, albatross contracts that won't be gone until 16-17.

I'm not expecting 3 lottery picks, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. They'll be lucky to get into the playoffs in the next few years.