Author Topic: Moving Up In The Draft?  (Read 9748 times)

Re: Moving Up In The Draft?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 03:16:13 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I really want to trade up for Hezonja.  I hope we can do Sully + our pick + Young for him.  It would be worth it
Yes it would but its very unlikely if we end up with the 15th or 16 pick.  I don't think Sully had much trade value coming into a contract year.  With his injury and the latest story on his weight issues, I think his value is about zero.  Young hasn't done anything to boost his value.
I would not include Young in the trade. He is a special prospect with possible all star written all over him. He's worth more than fodder if given more time.IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB1yIM7dhuk

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 04:25:13 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Not sure that WCS would be the target but I expect DA to move up in this draft. In my opinion this class has a tier break (made a fanposts about my tiers) after #1, #4, and #8 after that there is a huge group of prospects on a similar level. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked to see DA bring the Cs 2016 1sts (aside from nets) into play to make a move on a prospect he really likes at the top of this draft.

While they wont be super stars Herzonja or S Johnson could be this teams long term solution at SF and the same can be said for Prozingis or WCS in the post. I consider Winslow the #9 prospect and he has helped his stock in the tournament and could also be a long term starter. Outside of that 8th/9th spot the draft gets risky and the chances of landing a legit starter seem a lot slimmer.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 04:27:44 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I really want to trade up for Hezonja.  I hope we can do Sully + our pick + Young for him.  It would be worth it
Yes it would but its very unlikely if we end up with the 15th or 16 pick.  I don't think Sully had much trade value coming into a contract year.  With his injury and the latest story on his weight issues, I think his value is about zero.  Young hasn't done anything to boost his value.
I would not include Young in the trade. He is a special prospect with possible all star written all over him. He's worth more than fodder if given more time.IMO

I agree its tough to give up on Young but Herzonja is one guy I would trade him for. Where Young has shown glimpses of greatness in the D-League Mario is showing it in the much more competitive ACB. (not saying the talent level is much different but ACB is certainly higher intensity) 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 04:31:58 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Not sure that WCS would be the target but I expect DA to move up in this draft. In my opinion this class has a tier break (made a fanposts about my tiers) after #1, #4, and #8 after that there is a huge group of prospects on a similar level. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked to see DA bring the Cs 2016 1sts (aside from nets) into play to make a move on a prospect he really likes at the top of this draft.

While they wont be super stars Herzonja or S Johnson could be this teams long term solution at SF and the same can be said for Prozingis or WCS in the post. I consider Winslow the #9 prospect and he has helped his stock in the tournament and could also be a long term starter. Outside of that 8th/9th spot the draft gets risky and the chances of landing a legit starter seem a lot slimmer.

Hezonja has the pedigree of a star.  He even came out saying "I should be the #1 pick" a couple days ago and then recreated LeVine's 3 dunks "without problem."

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/baloncesto/otros/20150325/102676836934/mario-hezonja-deberia-ser-el-numero-uno-del-draft-de-la-nba.html

He's a competitor with a chip on his shoulder, elite size and great shooting.  If he goes 8th pick or later, I would think it's feasible to move up, although I have no clue what Danny is thinking.  He could go anywhere between 5th and 15th, who knows?

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 04:42:58 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I wouldn't be against packaging the picks we get from the nets in 2017 and 2018 to move up. With the salary cap increasing, the Nets could easily rebuild quick. Those future draft picks from the Nets are not looking as good as they were. Might as well try to sell high before those picks lose value.

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 04:53:10 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Hezonja has the pedigree of a star.  He even came out saying "I should be the #1 pick" a couple days ago and then recreated LeVine's 3 dunks "without problem."

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/baloncesto/otros/20150325/102676836934/mario-hezonja-deberia-ser-el-numero-uno-del-draft-de-la-nba.html

He's a competitor with a chip on his shoulder, elite size and great shooting.  If he goes 8th pick or later, I would think it's feasible to move up, although I have no clue what Danny is thinking.  He could go anywhere between 5th and 15th, who knows?
I didn't believe you until I watched this vid. This kid throws down with some nice power.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUcrZ4y_Ccg

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 05:40:46 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

If Hezonja is available I don't see why a team would trade down with us unless he intends to stay in Europe for a year or two. 

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 05:50:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Danny is going to move up packaging our 2 2015 1sts(or attempt). Or try to trade for a good young player

1st try to move up to grab porzingis, johnson, hezjonja
2nd try to pry away someone like Noel from 76ers
3rd go ahead and make the picks. 2 picks im guessing will be draft and stash
I laughed at your suggestion that "trying to pry away Noel" was Plan B.   As-if it would be easier to trade for a star big man prospect like Nerlens Noel than trade for a guy projected 8th in this draft. 

Maybe Plan C should be trying to trade #15 + #26 for Andrew Wiggins.

Noel is no star. Not yet anyways

My pt is Danny will try . 76ers gm might listen bc he is crazy about picks and throwing out prospects after a season or two

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 06:01:07 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

We all know he can shoot. He should use the D-League to develop other things - penetration, dribble, right-hand ball handing. He is wasting time shooting threes there.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 06:31:33 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Danny is going to move up packaging our 2 2015 1sts(or attempt). Or try to trade for a good young player

I laughed at your suggestion that "trying to pry away Noel" was Plan B.   As-if it would be easier to trade for a star big man prospect like Nerlens Noel than trade for a guy projected 8th in this draft. 

My pt is Danny will try . 76ers gm might listen bc he is crazy about picks and throwing out prospects after a season or two
Noel has worked himself into being a strong ROY candidate.  Hinkie isn't trading him unless he gets an offer too good to refuse.  Hinkie is making shrewd moves.  Getting a great pick for a very inefficient MCW.  Getting something for McDaniels rather than overpaying to keep him. 

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 10:01:16 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

::)

Hinkie's not throwing out a guy like Noel for a pupu platter of mid round picks. That's just stupid.

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 10:25:15 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
This guy Lyles from Kentucky is having a nice start in this West Virginia Kentucky game.

If we end up with the 15th pick, I hope we take this guy.

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 10:25:29 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Early list of teams who might be willing to move back
-Denver: their biggest position of need is shooting guard, I could see them trading back while adding a first and then drafting Booker.
-Sacramento: What George Karl really needs is a point guard to get his up tempo system running. Maybe he would take multiple lower picks so he can draft that PG and a stretch 4 to slide next to Cousins. They also will be giving up their first to Chicago when they fall outside of the top 10. Maybe they want to acquire another pick so they still have a draft pick when they do move up into the late lottery.
-New York, if they fall out of the top 3 maybe they entertain trading their pick for multiple future picks, since they don't have many future picks.

great summary TP.

I was thinking the same thing with New York.
They've got Carmelo just re-signed to a long term deal, they have cap space but no future first round picks.
Could we swap Sullinger+Isaiah Thomas+our 2015 pick + a Brooklyn pick for pick#2 or #3? It's a long shot but depending on Phil Jackson's long term thinking there could be hope.

I think scenarios like this are where Isaiah Thomas comes in as a great piece of trade bait.
If you're trying to build a contender he'd be an awesome piece off the bench to come in and provide scoring for his paltry salary.

Biggest reason I think something like this might be possible is because I question whether the Knicks will wait around for their top 3 pick to develop over 3 or 4 seasons while Carmelo's prime  rots away.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 10:58:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This guy Lyles from Kentucky is having a nice start in this West Virginia Kentucky game.

If we end up with the 15th pick, I hope we take this guy.

He has a very similar game to KO. 

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 11:35:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
It's a shame we are not drafting 6 in this draft. Would be able to pick up a really good big guy.  Last year's draft, in retrospect, was pretty pathetic, after the first 3 guys (assuming Embiid gets healthy and performs).