Author Topic: Moving Up In The Draft?  (Read 9755 times)

Moving Up In The Draft?
« on: March 25, 2015, 03:26:04 PM »

Offline dwoumn

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
If the C's make the playoffs as the 7th or 8th seed that would push them out of range to draft Willie Cauley-Stein, who seems as the best fit for the team.
Should DA and the C's move up to draft him? If so, what would you give up (players or draft picks) to move up?
 If the C's don't move up who would be the next best player to draft at 15 and 26(Clipps Pick)?

Re: Moving Up In The Draft?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 03:34:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
As of right now our picks would be #15 and #26. 

Charlotte, who is just a half game behind us, would pick #11.  So there's a 4 pick difference due to the Eastern Conference being garbage.

I think combining the picks will only let you move up a few spots.

With #11 + #26, I imagine we could maybe trade up to #9.

With #15 + #26, I imagine we could trade up to #12.

I'm pulling that out of my butt, though.   See this post for some historical examples of trading up:  http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77034.msg1850641#msg1850641

I think there's probably some loose tiers (Top 5, Top 10, Late Lotto, Mid-1st, late 1st), but it depends on the draft itself.  If you happen to be in a bizarre draft where consensus is that everyone between #6-20 is a crap-shoot, I imagine it would be relatively easy to trade up.  Generally, teams have some tiers in mind, though.  Doesn't seem to be any recent examples of teams trading "up" into the Top 8 with lesser picks. 

Draftexpress.com has Willie Cauley-Stein going 5th.  Out of range.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:40:48 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 03:40:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Danny is going to move up packaging our 2 2015 1sts(or attempt). Or try to trade for a good young player

1st try to move up to grab porzingis, johnson, hezjonja
2nd try to pry away someone like Noel from 76ers
3rd go ahead and make the picks. 2 picks im guessing will be draft and stash

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 03:40:47 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
If the C's make the playoffs as the 7th or 8th seed that would push them out of range to draft Willie Cauley-Stein, who seems as the best fit for the team.
Should DA and the C's move up to draft him? If so, what would you give up (players or draft picks) to move up?
 If the C's don't move up who would be the next best player to draft at 15 and 26(Clipps Pick)?

There's a thread about the second:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77051.msg1851982#new

As for the first, I don't think so.  Not that I don't like WCS, but I think teams would ask more than I was willing to pay to move up far enough to get him.  Sure, I'd give up both firsts and a couple of seconds to move up, but I'm very protective of those Nets picks. 

Mike

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 03:42:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Danny is going to move up packaging our 2 2015 1sts(or attempt). Or try to trade for a good young player

I laughed at your suggestion that "trying to pry away Noel" was Plan B.   As-if it would be easier to trade for a star big man prospect like Nerlens Noel than trade for a guy projected 8th in this draft. 

Maybe Plan C should be trying to trade #15 + #26 for Andrew Wiggins.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 03:52:17 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233

porzingis is so thin not only that,he  has no shoulders,i label him a bust,go get dwight powell back if you have visions of that kid--

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 03:55:55 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

It doesn't look like our clippers pick is going to be worth a heck of a lot; we'd probably have to offer a future pick as well. That is a lot to give up for this kind of move, but I do think it will be the price. I do not think aggressively trading up to a slot like that is going to be worth it for us.

So I'm spit-balling here, but I think that if the Knicks, Nuggets, or Kings end up in the range we're trying to trade up to (5-10), we might be able to do it for our two picks plus one of these kinda crappy ones we have like the deferred Mavs or Cavs picks.

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 04:14:20 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I wonder if Danny might trade Sully and our pick to move up in the range to get WCS

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 05:53:55 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I think that we need to realize that our most valuable asset aside from draft pick is Isaiah Thomas. He is on an incredibly cheap contract and is a borderline allstar.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 06:24:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I laughed at your suggestion that "trying to pry away Noel" was Plan B.   As-if it would be easier to trade for a star big man prospect like Nerlens Noel than trade for a guy projected 8th in this draft. 

Maybe Plan C should be trying to trade #15 + #26 for Andrew Wiggins.
I could be wrong but I would assume he knows that 15 and 26 or even 11 and 24 wouldnt be enough for Noel which is why it is plan two. As you have extensively covered, Noel will cost more than a mid and late first.
Lets say Philly is looking to move Noel (say they draft Okafor or Towns),  I think that probably costs you Young, KO, both firsts this year, the Philly 2 and Philly still could more than reasonably say no.
moving our top 2 or 3 picks this year to get into the top 10 is probably a more efficient deal than selling off half our assets for Noel, thus making that plan #2.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 06:43:42 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I think that we need to realize that our most valuable asset aside from draft pick is Isaiah Thomas. He is on an incredibly cheap contract and is a borderline allstar.

Agreed.

Awesome pickup .....Dragic will cost the Heat a huge contract to stay there.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 06:44:34 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I really want to trade up for Hezonja.  I hope we can do Sully + our pick + Young for him.  It would be worth it

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 12:08:02 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
I really want to trade up for Hezonja.  I hope we can do Sully + our pick + Young for him.  It would be worth it
Yes it would but its very unlikely if we end up with the 15th or 16 pick.  I don't think Sully had much trade value coming into a contract year.  With his injury and the latest story on his weight issues, I think his value is about zero.  Young hasn't done anything to boost his value. 

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 02:33:42 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

It doesn't look like our clippers pick is going to be worth a heck of a lot; we'd probably have to offer a future pick as well. That is a lot to give up for this kind of move, but I do think it will be the price. I do not think aggressively trading up to a slot like that is going to be worth it for us.

So I'm spit-balling here, but I think that if the Knicks, Nuggets, or Kings end up in the range we're trying to trade up to (5-10), we might be able to do it for our two picks plus one of these kinda crappy ones we have like the deferred Mavs or Cavs picks.

Do we still have the Cleveland pick?  I thought that went out the door for Thomas.  I'm not trading the Dallas pick, though.  I think that's a lottery pick.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:41:19 PM by mef730 »

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 03:00:47 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Early list of teams who might be willing to move back
-Denver: their biggest position of need is shooting guard, I could see them trading back while adding a first and then drafting Booker.
-Sacramento: What George Karl really needs is a point guard to get his up tempo system running. Maybe he would take multiple lower picks so he can draft that PG and a stretch 4 to slide next to Cousins. They also will be giving up their first to Chicago when they fall outside of the top 10. Maybe they want to acquire another pick so they still have a draft pick when they do move up into the late lottery.
-New York, if they fall out of the top 3 maybe they entertain trading their pick for multiple future picks, since they don't have many future picks.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19