Author Topic: in defense of KO  (Read 11327 times)

Re: in defense of KO
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2015, 04:11:33 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
Look at last night's game. A very look warm performance for the whole team, but again, KO with a +11 (second only to IT), 2 offensive boards and a block. The guy hustles. When his shot starts falling again (and there is no doubt the boy can shoot) he is a decent starter / very good bench player on a good team.

He is not going to be a 20/10 guy, but how many of those are drafted outside the top 3 ever?

Danny did better than 90% of the GMs in drafting KO. If you think you can do a better job - please send your CV to: iamdelusional@celticsmanagement.com

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2015, 09:11:11 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
hey kelly really dove for a ball -flat out-that was the most impressive moment i took away from game-and his steal only to have it bobble out of bounds---the knicks seemed to play the celtics game small ball with a 7footer shooting threes-another very gritty game-

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2015, 09:12:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
KO with a +11 (second only to IT), 2 offensive boards and a block. The guy hustles. 

He is not going to be a 20/10 guy, but how many of those are drafted outside the top 3 ever?

PER can make anyone look good and this is a prime example.  We made our final push when he was not in there.  Dieng drafted below him is a 9/9 guy right now KO is a 10/5 guy.

When his shot starts falling again (and there is no doubt the boy can shoot)
  Don't you think you lose credibilty with statements like this man?

If he could shoot wouldn't his shot fail more than once ever three to four games.    He is a confidence player, if his first few shots fall he is ok that night.  If not better sit him.   

he is a decent starter / very good bench player on a good team.
  He does not even always start on this team.  I think he will be a bench player ideally and someday he might be a good one.   

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2015, 09:31:03 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
He's shooting 47% from the field, 33% from 3PT. Not earth-shattering numbers, but perfectly good ones for a guy who plays a lot away from the basket, in his 2nd year.

Lose credibility by saying he can shoot??? He shot 60% in college and so far his TS% is about 54 as a pro. He was a lottery pick primarily for his scoring ability.

He's a work in progress, obviously... but does everything have to be hyperbole around here? KO is a bust who can't shoot, Smart has no hope of ever being a passable starter, and I think IT is 3 feet tall and runs away on defense? And Sully is slow, useless, bad 21st pick?

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2015, 10:00:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
He's shooting 47% from the field, 33% from 3PT. Not earth-shattering numbers, but perfectly good ones for a guy who plays a lot away from the basket, in his 2nd year.

He is very streaky, some games he is lights out and other ones he is not.  Still not bad numbers and probably the reason Brad played him.   But do you think he would play if we had more talent at the big spot.   I am thinking no, Jerebko is the guy trusted late in games all too often.   Last night he went with Bass.

Lose credibility by saying he can shoot??? He shot 60% in college and so far his TS% is about 54 as a pro. He was a lottery pick primarily for his scoring ability.

That is swell, and it is easier to get a shot off in college than in the pros, correct?  He falters a lot because he is afraid of being swatted.   Someone needs to tell the kid everyone gets blocked from time to time just shoot your shot.

Your comment was contradictory, you said:

Wouldn't his shot fall more if he can shoot?

He's a work in progress, obviously... but does everything have to be hyperbole around here? KO is a bust who can't shoot, Smart has no hope of ever being a passable starter, and I think IT is 3 feet tall and runs away on defense? And Sully is slow, useless, bad 21st pick?

hyperbole means exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.  I didn't use hyperbole at any point in my post.   Perhaps you should understand a word before you use it next time.  Sully is slow, I did not say KO could not shoot, I stated your credibility took a hit because you used a conflicting statement.   Some of those are facts and not hyperbole.

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2015, 11:17:51 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
KO with a +11 (second only to IT), 2 offensive boards and a block. The guy hustles. 

PER can make anyone look good and this is a prime example.  We made our final push when he was not in there.  Dieng drafted below him is a 9/9 guy right now KO is a 10/5 guy.

Don't you think you lose credibilty with statements like this man?

If he could shoot wouldn't his shot fail more than once ever three to four games.    He is a confidence player, if his first few shots fall he is ok that night.  If not better sit him.   

he is a decent starter / very good bench player on a good team.
  He does not even always start on this team.  I think he will be a bench player ideally and someday he might be a good one.

He was an elite shooter in college. Nothing wrong with his shooting mechanics. His numbers dipped in NBA as ALL ROOKIES DO. It has nothing to do with his shot - but everything to do with the faster, more physical nature of the game.

He is shooting a respectable clip, and again - look at his numbers in the 2nd half of last year, and the beginning of this one. He was shooting very well. Last year he was bordering on elite.

It is hard for NBA players to deal with revolving doors, changes in lineups and strategy as well as injuries. Harder for rookies.

Lastly, I see him as a very good bench player on our team, which is playing good ball - actually well above NBA average since ASB. Since this is essentially a new team compared to the one we started the year with I can call KO a good bench player on a good team (;

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2015, 07:16:38 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I changed my mind on Olynyk.

I really have.

Today in the 2nd quarter, after Jordan out rebounded and then dunked right on him, first thing he does is fixes his hair (lol.)

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2015, 01:39:07 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
Not trying to rub it in, but anybody feel a little better after Kelly's performance tonight. Big heart and big stats More please....

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2015, 06:15:12 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
50 yrs later ,i still remember the recovery of a really bad sprain and i was a very good shooter and had quick first step my shooting was severly effected along with  driving,and both marcus ans KO fit the pattern-so kelly comes back and plays tentative mostly passing up shots and setting screens,and goes through very awkard stage.He spent alot of time falling  and trying to score and looking horrible and his shot was off-everything is different and it takes time to adjust,which you do -then as you get stronger and more confident in ankle then your shot has to adjust again-look at isiah, and how it effects his game-a 7 ft 260 lb finesse player who has taken shots 1000 times is now out of snc with injury-ko is coming back down the stretch,so is isiah-

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2015, 07:55:10 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Not trying to rub it in, but anybody feel a little better after Kelly's performance tonight. Big heart and big stats More please....

His shot looked like a million bucks compared to before

higher arch. He also had a few dirk , leave my right arm hanging out there moments , making sure the shot was going in

If he can keep doing this , guys like Hibbert will have a hard time trying to guard him. Plus opens up  things under the basket. He tried hard boxing out guys on the defensive end

« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2015, 10:13:17 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens

His shot looked like a million bucks compared to before

higher arch. He also had a few dirk , leave my right arm hanging out there moments , making sure the shot was going in

If he can keep doing this , guys like Hibbert will have a hard time trying to guard him. Plus opens up  things under the basket. He tried hard boxing out guys on the defensive end

Kelly was not a 3pt shooter even in college - he was a deadly midrange shooter. Adjusting to the NBA 3pt line taker time so I agree his shot (which was built for shorter range) often looks flat.

That being said, he seems to be getting back to where he was towards the end of last season. Given his ability to drive, hitting from range makes him a perfect counter to bigs who park in the paint.

« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2015, 10:23:52 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The problem with evaluating KO as a player is that when he's playing well, he looks like a quality starter, and sometimes even better.  He's had (short) stretches of games in both seasons where he's been clearly the best player on the floor and repeatedly made plays on both offense and defense. 

But then, of course, when he's playing poorly he looks like a deer in the headlights and like a guy with no business even being in the league, let alone on the floor.  He still does make some contributions in those cases but usually of the subtler kind, like creating floor space and moving the ball along.  But man, on the obvious stuff he looks terrible.

Of course, he's not as good as the good games, and not as bad as the bad ones, but he really doesn't seem to wind up in the middle very often.  It almost reminds me a bit of Rondo's early seasons, when he'd look like a world-beater for 2 weeks then have a terrible slump for the next two.  KO's probably never going to peak as high as Rondo but he has that same maddening tendency.  Hope he smooths it out as he matures.

« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2015, 10:31:53 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Tommy said it the other night.

If Olynyk would just develop a short hook shot with either hand, he would score ten more points a game.

I know, I did it, and it worked for me.

« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2015, 10:35:51 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Tommy said it the other night.

If Olynyk would just develop a short hook shot with either hand, he would score ten more points a game.

I know, I did it, and it worked for me.
Were you playing against people who were bigger, stronger and more athletic than you and spent most of their lives getting better at playing basketball?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:42:03 AM by littleteapot »
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2015, 10:47:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
When his shot is falling he gets confidence, when it's not your better off benching him.   One can tell early what kind of game he will have.

Were you playing against people who were bigger, stronger and more athletic than you and spent most of their lives getting better at playing basketball.

Jump Hooks are harder to block and a straight hook shot is even harder.  But I think it is the shot of choice against someone bigger than you.  Both shots impose your body between your shot and your man.  You do have to worry about being stripped by help some from the help side but it helps immensely in the post.

He is wildly inconsistent.  Good game, one or two bad ones,  not a rookie anymore and he is 24 this month.  So it is of concern.

I thought last night, he showed some toughness, with the black eye, which I hope he can build upon.  We should hit him more often before games, JK.