Author Topic: in defense of KO  (Read 11344 times)

Re: in defense of KO
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2015, 04:15:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
KO has a great motor. He is always busy trying to help
Never mistake activity for achievement :P

Yeah why not applaud guys that stand around instead.
Im not talking about activity like a headless chicken. But instead a 7ft tall player closing lanes, running out to shooters to at least try to distract jump shots, run end to end to try to tip in missed opportunities. KO at times doesnt have to do these things like Sullinger and it would be ok. But he chooses to "try"
He's really not doing half of these. But you should read up on "necessary but not sufficient" conditions :P

Maybe its time for new glasses??

Stop drooling over flashy dunks, blocks into the stands and pickup on the details. 

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2015, 04:17:15 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I hereby present triboy16 with the unintended irony champion's cup in the year of this post, 2015.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2015, 04:19:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Im not talking about activity like a headless chicken. But instead a 7ft tall player closing lanes, running out to shooters to at least try to distract jump shots, run end to end to try to tip in missed opportunities. KO at times doesnt have to do these things like Sullinger and it would be ok. But he chooses to "try"
He's really not doing half of these. But you should read up on "necessary but not sufficient" conditions :P

Stop drooling over flashy dunks, blocks into the stands and pickup on the details.
My glasses were fine when I checked them last year. But the next time Kelly Olynyk is seen "closing lanes" may be his first.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2015, 04:38:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

My glasses were fine when I checked them last year. But the next time Kelly Olynyk is seen "closing lanes" may be his first.

He closes lanes and prevents opposing players from thinking about driving in(a 7ft tall player will do that).  Can he prevent the drive in all the time? No. But he makes the attempt most of the time.   Just like he runs out to shooters to try to distract jump shots(vs guys he is not responsible guarding)

Also if he isnt productive by "trying" ,how was he able to get the steals vs okc, nets to start transition plays?

Did he just get lucky? Somehow his trex arms was able to intercept passes?

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
KO does not need to be "defended". He is a mid 1st round pick on what many consider a very weak draft. He is averaging 10/5/2 at about 23 minutes while shooting 53% true shooting -  in a season which included a month long injury that took him out of his game.

He is leading the team in Net Rating, and if you take out a horrific post injury January his numbers are even better.

Lastly, in the month of Feb he is posting stellar net rating of 11.9 which would make him one of the league leaders. I don't know why - but we are one of the best defenses in the league when he is playing in Feb...
I agree. That was a pretty bad draft class. I think we did well with KO. At the worst, I can see him as a nice weapon off the bench.

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2015, 04:43:42 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

He closes lanes and prevents opposing players from thinking about driving in.  Can he prevent the drive in all the time? No. But he makes the attempt most of the time.   Just like he runs out to shooters to try to distract jump shots(vs guys he is not responsible guarding)

Also if he isnt productive by "trying" ,how was he able to get the steals vs okc, nets to start transition plays?

Triboy is right. Olynyk typically cuts off the driving lanes.

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2015, 04:47:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He closes lanes and prevents opposing players from thinking about driving in.
Yup. They all get vewy, vewy afraid when they see Kelly camping under the hoop. I guess his only chance is to prevent them from thinking about it, though, since if they do he usually doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of preventing them from scoring :D

I find it entertaining that you mention "flashy blocks and dunks" and then go ahead to cite steals as evidence for playing successful defense. It isn't, really.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2015, 05:11:50 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Yup. They all get vewy, vewy afraid when they see Kelly camping under the hoop. I guess his only chance is to prevent them from thinking about it, though, since if they do he usually doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of preventing them from scoring :D

I find it entertaining that you mention "flashy blocks and dunks" and then go ahead to cite steals as evidence for playing successful defense. It isn't, really.

Kozlodoev, you have generally gone toe-to-toe with anyone who suggests that Olynyk is a good player and a decent defender.

You cite anecdotal evidence, and so do those that think Olynyk is at least an average defender.

You cite stats, and so do those that think Olynyk is at least an average defender.

You cite advanced stats, and so do those who think Olynyk is at least an average defender.

Apparently, Ainge and CBS think that he was both worthy of a mid-first round pick and that he is worthy a lot of playing time. The fact that he continues to play even when he struggles with his shooting is a testament to his ability to help in other areas of the game.

The fact that he is only a second-year big man indicates that his rotational anticipation and ability to get perfectly vertical while defending the rim may still have room to improve. In fact, I have seen Olynyk's defense at the rim improve since he came back from injury. The game seems to have slowed down to him a little bit on that end of the court. He has gotten some great blocks and he is fouling less than he used to.

Just because we don't have a future Lebron on our roster, does not mean that the guys we do have don't have potential.

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2015, 05:26:18 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

You don't need to inspire fear and dread in the opponent to be able to play solid defense.  This isn't mortal combat, it's basketball.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2015, 08:15:58 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Sophomore jinx,a second year player who worked hard over off season and came back much stronger but walked into  revolving door of new players,turner,zeller a rookie and rondo on men and,you had all star point guard that ignored you, a new unpredictable turner playing multiple positions and a rookie and your buddy pressy.Oh yeh,green the magician ,who could just disappear.Thorton another light switch type of player.Now the merry go round really starts rondo the all star goes and in comes more unknowns,crowder ,wright and then green the high scorer go to guy, for prince and then prince for jerebko and datome in all this fogot thorton goes and then isiah comes--your a seven footer in your 2nd year trying to just hold traction in this enviornment-juggling line ups ,rookies ,new players-losing a control freak guard-if your a finess big what a nightmare-west coast trips ,travelling and christmas-who,what,where and when and isiah a total game changer and then a really bad sprain missing 18 games and sully- and then just getting on court and isiah is down and we are in thick of playoff race and his ankle and conditioning has slowed him down and altered everything-read and react they hardly no each others names-not a easy sophomore year -CRITICS
This is the longest sentence I've read in quite some time. TP and respect.

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2015, 09:03:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
KO free throw percentage .811 last year, .653 this year, and I bet about .500 after the first month of this year.  Something is off with him. 

Same with his 3 point shooting.  It has gotten flatter.

I don't think it is before and after ankle injury, either.

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2015, 09:04:22 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Never put defense and Nolynyk in the same sentence.  Or title.  Or anything, lol. ;D

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2015, 09:22:11 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I hereby present triboy16 with the unintended irony champion's cup in the year of this post, 2015.

Yea, I feel like I am now wrong about my opinion of Frank Kaminsky as Triboy16 agrees with me on him.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2015, 02:48:39 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
KO was drafted as a rotational/role player. If he had great defense, and was always confident in his shot, I'm pretty sure he would've gone further than #13.

I agree with this. And then I wonder why we traded up for him. Can't think of a single reason... what is worse is that he will net nothing in return on a trade, unless he is a part of a $50 pu pu platter
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2015, 02:55:48 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

You don't need to inspire fear and dread in the opponent to be able to play solid defense.  This isn't mortal combat, it's basketball.
But if you could wow what a basketball player you would be.