Author Topic: ESPN ranks the top 30 NBA PGs  (Read 3125 times)

ESPN ranks the top 30 NBA PGs
« on: March 24, 2015, 02:04:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=12546025&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Fhoopshype.com%2Frumors.htm%22%7D

The highlights are compelling, and so are the numbers. When trying to solve a riddle like "Who's the NBA's best point guard?" we use the data, and what our eyes tell us. But who better to educate us on that subject than the people forced to compete and strategize against those men every night?

We asked 25 NBA folks -- a combination of executives, coaches and players -- to rank the point guards in the NBA from 1 to 30. The results of that poll are below, along with a sampling of thoughts from those who answered our survey:

The top tier

The top tier of our survey included no fewer than eight 2015 NBA All-Stars, with Russell Westbrook edging Stephen Curry at the top of the list. Once an NBA question mark, Mike Conley had a solid showing in our survey, beating out the likes of Kyle Lowry and Tony Parker among those we polled.

1. Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder (732 points, 13 first-place votes)

"He might be an alien. I've never seen anyone like him before. His athleticism and antics are off the charts." -- NBA executive

2. Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors (727 points, 9 first-place votes)

"Maybe the best shooter we've ever seen in the NBA off the dribble. Probably the leading candidate for MVP this year." -- NBA executive

3. Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers (652 points, 3 first-place votes)

"Everything you could ever want from a point guard. Leads, scores and defends and knows exactly when to do each of those things." -- NBA executive

4. Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers (630 points)

"He's an unbelievable finisher and his 50-point performance shows he can score at an elite level. However, he hasn't played in a playoff game yet. Can he knock down big shots when people are loading up on LeBron and the stakes are high? Can he make big shots in the playoffs? That's the question." -- NBA assistant coach

5. Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers (614 points)

"He's as good as just about anyone on the list in terms of scoring the ball, especially in different ways. His biggest issue right now is on the defensive end. That's what could hold him back from getting into the top three." -- NBA point guard

6. John Wall, Washington Wizards (595 points)

"He has incredible speed, and is one of the top two or three in getting the ball up and down the floor. His big question mark is in the fourth quarter, game on the line -- whether he can get you a bucket when it's not a transition push. To his credit, he's shown he can get shots for others. That's an area he's really worked on." -- NBA assistant coach

7. Mike Conley, Memphis Grizzlies (570 points)

"He's so [dang] good and he gets better every year, He's pretty good defensively, and he's really improved his shot. He wasn't very good when he came into the league, but he has improved every year -- in every aspect of his game." -- NBA executive

8. Kyle Lowry, Toronto Raptors (550 points)

"He's tough, a complete pit bull, and he can both score and also set guys up. The question is whether he can take his team deep in the playoffs -- that's where you make your name. He gets a lot of steals, but doesn't always stay in front of guys on the defensive end." -- NBA executive

9. Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs (511 points)

"He's probably towards the end of his career, but he's still a winner who finds a way. He's really hard to guard because he's so fast, and his shot has improved. He's also a good defender." -- NBA point guard

10. Jeff Teague, Atlanta Hawks (499 points)

"Great scoring point guard who has slowly, but surely improved his playmaking, defense and consistency as he's gotten older." -- NBA executive

The middle tier

Some big names (Derrick Rose, Rajon Rondo) and fading ex-stars (Deron Williams, Rondo) graced the middle portion of our survey, which also included an appearance from the polarizing Goran Dragic.

11. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls (489 points)

"It's now been three years of him playing less than half the games. You have to factor that in. I just don't know how you take him over the guys above him. If he was 100 percent, obviously he'd be near the top. But he hasn't been for three years." -- NBA executive

12. Goran Dragic, Miami Heat (467 points)

"He's a great pick-and-roll defender, can get to the rim, can knock down 3s and what's underrated about him is how good a presence he is in the locker room. People may laugh about that with what happened in Phoenix, but guys love to play with him." -- NBA assistant

13. Eric Bledsoe, Phoenix Suns (456 points)

"Explosive scorer. When he gets out in transition, he's really good. His half-court offense is questionable. He can make 3s. I've wondered whether he plays that hard. He looks like he's in chill mode." -- NBA point guard

14. Ty Lawson, Denver Nuggets (450 points)

"He should be in the top tier in terms of natural ability. He has unguardable speed when he wants to. But he does bail you out sometimes by shooting jumpers. The mental makeup is one of his biggest issues. He needs to embrace who he is -- and drive it down their throats. Then they'd fear him. But sometimes he doesn't play with that intensity and settles." -- NBA assistant

15. Rajon Rondo, Dallas Mavericks (436 points)

"He used to be one of the better guys in the league, but he's been mediocre the last few years. I'm not sure if it's the injuries or the fact he's not playing with KG, Pierce and Ray Allen. He doesn't have much interest in defending, and no one guards him on the perimeter." -- NBA point guard

16. Kemba Walker, Charlotte Hornets (420 points)

"He's shown spurts where he gives you visions of a top-tier guy, but it's a matter of consistency of his shots. If you go under the screen on him, can he make you pay? He's proving he can make it at times, but people still get away with going under on him." -- NBA assistant

17. Ricky Rubio, Minnesota Timberwolves (401 points)

"He can pass all he wants, and his defense is very good. However, until he proves you don't have to go under screens on him, teams just go in and help 5 feet off him. He needs to be consistent with his shot, or he'll forever deal with that issue. When he doesn't have the ball, teams flat-out leave him. That prevents him from getting in the next tier. -- NBA assistant

18. Jrue Holiday, New Orleans Pelicans (396 points)

"He's one of the few guys that can guard the rest of this list. He's just OK offensively, but I really like him. He's got the feel and size, is a legitimate point guard and he can really defend." -- NBA executive

19. Reggie Jackson, Detroit Pistons (374 points)

"He's a solid point guard. I don't know if he'll ever be a great player, but can be a starter. He needs the pieces around him. Talented, good athlete and has improved his shot." -- NBA player

20. Deron Williams, Brooklyn Nets (356 points)

"To be honest, I'm not sure how he's even this high on the list. He's been pretty bad the last few years. He's slow, can't get by anyone -- and can't guard anyone on the other end of the floor. He's not even the best point guard on his own team right now." -- NBA executive

The bottom tier

Not all the players in the bottom third of the survey are starting point guards, as the Thunder's D.J. Augustin and the Nets' Jarrett Jack made an appearance, as did Brandon Knight (who plays in a two-point guard lineup in Phoenix) and the injured Brandon Jennings. The presence of those players means four teams did not have a point guard voted into the top 30: the Los Angeles Lakers, Orlando Magic, Philadelphia 76ers and New York Knicks.

21. Brandon Jennings, Detroit Pistons (340 points)

"He puts fear in a lot of guys. If he were to embrace who he is, and understand the importance of shot selection, he could move up on this list. He's a score-first guy who needs to make sure everyone else is doing OK before he takes care of himself." -- NBA assistant

22. George Hill, Indiana Pacers (315 points)

"He's an enigma. Sometimes I think he's really good, sometimes not. When he's making shots, he's really good. Sometimes he looks like he doesn't want to play." -- NBA player

23. Darren Collison, Sacramento Kings (300 points)

"He's lightning-quick and knows how to run a team. I think he's a really good backup. I don't know if he's a starter. If you can bring him off the bench, he can really be a change-of-pace guy. He's someone I'd like to play with." -- NBA player

24. Brandon Knight, Phoenix Suns (287 points)

"Has a chance. People keep talking about what he can't do, but it looks like his teammates like playing with him. He can make open shots, can pass and has good size. He has a chance to keep moving up this list." -- NBA assistant

25. Isaiah Thomas, Boston Celtics (125 points)

"Has ranked among one of the best point guards in the NBA in offensive efficiency. He can score out of pick-and-rolls. His size hurts him on the other end." -- NBA executive

26. Patrick Beverley, Houston Rockets (120 points)

"He's one of the top two or three pit bulls in the NBA. He's not afraid to take big-time 3s. His problem is the in-between game. But he's one of the top defenders at this spot and he gives you toughness." -- NBA assistant

27. D.J. Augustin, Oklahoma City Thunder (92 points)

"I really like his game. He's a great scoring point, especially off the bench. He can start. He comes off the bench with such firepower and can really score. He's a really good player." -- NBA player

28. Jarrett Jack, Brooklyn Nets (75 points)

"Tough, pick-and-roll scorer and not scared. Can have some really good games. He has nights where he fights with the top point guards. He just can't do it every night." -- NBA executive

29. Mo Williams, Charlotte Hornets (73 points)

"He's an explosive scorer. He can keep you in games by making shots or shoot you out of them. He won't make a whole bunch of passes. He'll run the show and take a whole bunch of shots doing it, if you can live with that." -- NBA player

30. Trey Burke, Utah Jazz (32 points)

"I don't think he's quick enough to get his own shot. I don't think he shoots it well enough. Really small, struggles with length. I don't know what he's going to be. He's really got to make shots to be good. So undersized." -- NBA player

Re: ESPN ranks the top 30 NBA PGs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 02:23:46 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I feel like even Derrick Rose would probably prefer we stop this...

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:33:11 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I don't think this is really fair to primarily off-the-bench players like IT, because if he got starters minutes consistently he'd definitely be in that middle tier of point guards.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
I have to say, the NBA is pretty stacked at the PG position.  Even those "bottom tier" guys are pretty [dang] good. 

But, where does our starting PG rank?

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 03:10:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The obvious thing that stands out is that there are a lot of really good point guards.  Ty Lawson 14th?  Jrue Holiday 18th?  Those guys are both guys I'd love to have run the Celtics point.

I've got quibbles about the order of the list, but the tiers seem about right.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 03:12:52 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Deron Williams seems really really ridiculous that high. I would question if he is even top 30. He was coming off the bench for a pretty bad team for long stretches of the season, and it was not because he was instant offense or stuck behind an all star...

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 03:13:16 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
The guy who I regard as the best player on our team is ranked the 25th best PG on this list. I don't understand how people can really think Stevens is a bad coach.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 03:13:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Rose and Rondo being that low on the list just shows how a couple of off years can affect how others view you.  Deron's just a shell of what he used to be.  I remember when he was considered second only to CP3

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 03:15:42 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
The NBA has changed over the years to really feature the scoring PGs. The drop in physicality has taken the focus away from the big guys and moved it to the point. Past players like the original Isiah Thomas or Iverson would dominate today. I think its also clear that DA has placed value on defending the point with AB and Smart. The league is set up so that high level primary ball-handlers are nearly unstoppable but players like AB and Smart can at least stay in front and contain guys. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 03:30:14 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
No Carter-Williams who the Sixers just got a valuable draft pick for. Also, no rookies cracked the list so fear not Smart fans he'll be there next year.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 03:37:02 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Rating Derek Rose #11 automatically made this list a joke.  He shouldn't even be in the top 20. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell