Author Topic: Real housewives of the NBA Cavs version  (Read 5357 times)

Re: Real housewives of the NBA Cavs version
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 07:23:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Since LeBron James returned to the lineup in mid-January, Cleveland is 27-7 while averaging 112.1 points per 100 possessions. That's tops in the league in both categories

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/year/2015/week/21

It is a nice stat but doesn't really amount to anything... the warriors and hawks have had similar stretches this year.

Sure.  It doesn't mean a lot, other than that the Cavs are playing extremely good basketball right now.  I think they're 39-9 in the last 48 games they've played with Lebron (and that includes losses in the game before his injury and a loss his first game back).  That's a 81%+ winning percentage, which would put the Cavs on pace for 67 wins.

Once the Cavs got through their initial gelling time, they've been absolutely elite.

What do you think the Cavs record would be if they played 70% of those games against teams in the West? They are 18-15 on the year against teams that are over .500. I am not saying they haven't been playing really good ball, but to say they are playing better than the teams out West seems like an unfair comparison.

Well, during that stretch they're 5-1 against the Clippers (twice), Spurs, Grizzlies, Rockets, and Warriors.  They haven't played a ton of games against the elite Western teams lately, but they've played well in those games (including crushing the Warriors).  Their only loss in those games was without Love.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 07:40:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Since LeBron James returned to the lineup in mid-January, Cleveland is 27-7 while averaging 112.1 points per 100 possessions. That's tops in the league in both categories

It is a nice stat but doesn't really amount to anything... the warriors and hawks have had similar stretches this year.

Sure.  It doesn't mean a lot, other than that the Cavs are playing extremely good basketball right now.  I think they're 39-9 in the last 48 games they've played with Lebron (and that includes losses in the game before his injury and a loss his first game back).  That's a 81%+ winning percentage, which would put the Cavs on pace for 67 wins.

Once the Cavs got through their initial gelling time, they've been absolutely elite.

What do you think the Cavs record would be if they played 70% of those games against teams in the West? They are 18-15 on the year against teams that are over .500. I am not saying they haven't been playing really good ball, but to say they are playing better than the teams out West seems like an unfair comparison.

Well, during that stretch they're 5-1 against the Clippers (twice), Spurs, Grizzlies, Rockets, and Warriors.  They haven't played a ton of games against the elite Western teams lately, but they've played well in those games (including crushing the Warriors).  Their only loss in those games was without Love.

I mean this is kind of cherry picking stats at its' finest. We don't include the beginning of the season cause it doesn't fit the narrative? We don't include the games Lebron didn't play cause that doesn't fit the narrative (not to mention other team's are all healthy). We don't count that they got crushed in golden state, but do get to count them crushing golden st at home cause it was later. Same thing with the Spurs. Not to mention its a 6 game sample size.   

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 08:01:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I mean this is kind of cherry picking stats at its' finest. We don't include the beginning of the season cause it doesn't fit the narrative? We don't include the games Lebron didn't play cause that doesn't fit the narrative (not to mention other team's are all healthy). We don't count that they got crushed in golden state, but do get to count them crushing golden st at home cause it was later. Same thing with the Spurs. Not to mention its a 6 game sample size.

The point is that for the last several months, the Cavs have been an elite team with Lebron in the lineup.  How is that cherry-picking?  You mentioned that the Cavs would be worse if they played the Western Conference, and I pointed out the games they've played against the elite teams in the West.

Early in the season, the Cavs were definitely a work in progress.  Without Lebron, they're a mediocre team.  With Lebron, though, the Cavs are an excellent team.  There's no real way to deny that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 09:01:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

The point is that for the last several months, the Cavs have been an elite team with Lebron in the lineup.  How is that cherry-picking?  You mentioned that the Cavs would be worse if they played the Western Conference, and I pointed out the games they've played against the elite teams in the West.

Early in the season, the Cavs were definitely a work in progress.  Without Lebron, they're a mediocre team.  With Lebron, though, the Cavs are an excellent team.  There's no real way to deny that.

Obviously the fact that you mentioned Love missing the game they lost but didn't bother to discuss injuries on any of the other teams is one form of bias. It is also a little weird that they have split with the spurs and the warriors, but you are choosing a date cut off that doesn't include their losses to either team, but does include their win.

I get they are playing really good ball for this last 50 game period that LeBron has played and definitely think they have gotten immensely better since adding mosgov and smith in particular (and losing waiters). However, I don't get how we would anoint them over the Warriors who have been playing this good all season long in a much tougher conference or over the defending champion Spurs who would have beaten Cleveland a week ago if not for last second three pointer heroics from Irving (they were up most of the game).

I don't think we really have a huge disagreement here, it just seems that people are in a bit of a rush to crown the Cavs when they haven't played a playoff series yet. In general this is a pet peeve of mine, similar to how it grinds my gears when people declare Embiid the next greatest thing based of 20 college games. If the Cavs breeze through the playoffs and knock off a western team I will definitely be surprised and will definitely give them their due. That would be an incredible accomplishment for their first year together as a team. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:06:55 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 09:11:55 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Obviously the fact that you mentioned Love missing the game they lost but didn't bother to discuss injuries on any of the other teams is one form of bias. It is also a little weird that they have split with the spurs and the warriors, but you are choosing a date cut off that doesn't include their losses to either team, but does include their win.

I get they are playing really good ball for this last 50 game period that LeBron has played and definitely think they have gotten immensely better since adding mosgov and smith in particular (and losing waiters). However, I don't get how we would anoint them over the Warriors who have been playing this good all season long in a much tougher conference or over the defending champion Spurs who would have beaten Cleveland a week ago if not for last second three pointer heroics from Irving (they were up most of the game).

I don't think we really have a huge disagreement here, it just seems that people are in a bit of a rush to crown the Cavs when they haven't played a playoff series yet. In general this is a pet peeve of mine, similar to how it grinds my gears when people declare Embiid the next greatest thing based of 20 college games. If the Cavs breeze through the playoffs and knock off a western team I will definitely be surprised and will definitely give them their due. That would be an incredible accomplishment for their first year together as a team.

TP. Took the words out of my mouth.. How many times did ESPN anoint them champions despite a single game played? All I know is Love/Irving haven't ever experienced the grind of a playoff game.. Lets see if Lebron James can will that team into the Finals. GSW/Grizz/Hawks/Spurs, and Bulls could all give them fits.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 09:23:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Obviously the fact that you mentioned Love missing the game they lost but didn't bother to discuss injuries on any of the other teams is one form of bias.

I also didn't include a win over the Blazers, which fell during that time frame, because Lebron wasn't playing.  I also included that loss to Houston, both in the 5-1 record and the 37-7 record.  The Love injury is relevant information, but it's still counted as a loss.

It is also a little weird that they have split with the spurs and the warriors, but you are choosing a date cut off that doesn't include their losses to either team, but does include their win.

How relevant is the Warriors loss?  Lebron wasn't playing.  The Cavs without Lebron are pretty mediocre, and I think that we can all concede that.

The Spurs game was the 10th game of the Cavs season.  Yes, I'm giving them a pass for the first month of the season, when they were clearly figuring things out as a team.

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 09:28:15 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So this is the picture that the NY Post is reporting might "break up the Cavs" and that Mike and Mike made a big deal about?

"Clique up"

Do we just ignore this one from two weeks ago?

"My crew"

The media just loves to stir the pot.

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 09:43:29 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
All kidding aside, the GM for the Cavs did real nice job rebuilding the team within the season.  They will regret the Love trade because I think he leaves and Wiggins becomes a star but this year they have a legitimate shot at a title.  They will have a cake walk through the East...

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 10:53:34 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
All kidding aside, the GM for the Cavs did real nice job rebuilding the team within the season.  They will regret the Love trade because I think he leaves and Wiggins becomes a star but this year they have a legitimate shot at a title.  They will have a cake walk through the East...
It looks like the East is for them at the moment. Maybe Rose can come back and give them a fight and Atlanta can regroup as well. Hopefully they get the Heat in round one and Wade torches them to Make it 4-2.  I am in a way hoping they win for the city of Cleveland. The fans there have been Heartbroken enough.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 11:14:27 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
If anything, I'm more upset about the fact that Perk is now part of LeBron's clique/crew.

I mean it's like when Virgil/Vincent joined the NWO.  Sure he was pretty much irrelevant, didn't do much or contribute to their success at all, and was never much of a face to begin with anyway, but you still didn't like him joining up with the heels.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 11:38:47 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Do people actually watch "professional wrestling??"
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 11:47:31 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

The company is worth over a billion dollars with decent weekly ratings and Wrestlemania pulling in ridiculous amount of money.  And it's been around for generations.  I would say yes yes and yes. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2015, 11:48:45 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
No accounting for taste, I suppose.  :P
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Does anyone really still want Love on a max deal?
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2015, 11:57:32 AM »

Offline C-Green

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
I was hoping for Love to join the C's via trade over the Summer but am really not sure I want him on a max deal, which I think he will command. He just doesn't seem to have a good attitude in general. I recall Rubio and others saying he is not a leader etc once he was traded and now we are seeing some issues with the Cavs. It is certainly hard to know from the outside but there seems to be some smoke with him which makes me think there may be fire.

Not for nothing, I have never heard much of any negativity about LeBron as a leader or teammate. Like him or not, he's a champion and one of the best to play the game. It is concerning that his resume/leadership isn't enough to convince Love to buy in (having never been anywhere near a championship contender until now).

We seem to have a great locker room and play with grit and energy. I am not convinced he would fit in and we would need a quality rim protector to compensate for his shameful defense (which often seems like a general lack of effort vs lack of skill).

For those reason, I would prefer to pass on Love should he opt out.

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 12:13:53 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

A lot.