Author Topic: Draft Express Scouting Videos  (Read 9784 times)

Re: Draft Express Scouting Videos
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 06:32:39 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Hey all, the Draft Express scouting videos for the 2015 draft are starting to come out today. Wanted to start this thread to post them and discuss what you see in the videos. (also if someone could help me out with how to post youtube videos I would appreciate it)

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Myles-Turner-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-and-Video-Breakdown-4845

On Myles Turner I think his upside is high because of his length and shooting potential. Sure he is awkward and might have trouble playing certain defenses against the pick and roll (if you sit him in the paint and let him wait for the ball to come to him I think he can block a lot of shots). His rim protection potential is probably better than anyone in the draft besides Towns and WCS, so I think he would be a good pick for us.

The draftexpress videos won't work outside of their website/youtube anymore.

Turner got rocked against Kentucky's frontcourt.   Even Jarrell Martin who is a 6'10, with 6'10 wingspan did better. 

Turner has ways to go. He might not even declare
He certainly has a ways to go, but where he goes once he gets there will be a better place than a lot of people drafted before him.

I like him because he has high upside and with the amount of firsts we have, we can afford to gamble on high upside players.

I don't know. You just don't risk 10-14 pick on Turner imo.  We need that 10-14 to be a solid pick

I rather draft Poetl (not a big fan) or Moussa Diagne later.
How is Poetl any more of a solid pick than Turner?  They both are young raw potential guys.  Their 1st years stats are reasonably close but Turner's the better shooter and has 3pt range.

He's just really high on Kaminsky this year, just like he was hyping up Gordon to be a better version of Blake last season. So he's dismissing all other bigs, with the exception of Towns, while boosting up Kaminsky. I like Triboy, but like last year, he'll be proved wrong pretty soon.

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hey all, the Draft Express scouting videos for the 2015 draft are starting to come out today. Wanted to start this thread to post them and discuss what you see in the videos. (also if someone could help me out with how to post youtube videos I would appreciate it)

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Myles-Turner-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-and-Video-Breakdown-4845

On Myles Turner I think his upside is high because of his length and shooting potential. Sure he is awkward and might have trouble playing certain defenses against the pick and roll (if you sit him in the paint and let him wait for the ball to come to him I think he can block a lot of shots). His rim protection potential is probably better than anyone in the draft besides Towns and WCS, so I think he would be a good pick for us.

Turner got rocked against Kentucky's frontcourt.   Even Jarrell Martin who is a 6'10, with 6'10 wingspan did better. 

He certainly has a ways to go, but where he goes once he gets there will be a better place than a lot of people drafted before him.

I like him because he has high upside and with the amount of firsts we have, we can afford to gamble on high upside players.

I don't know. You just don't risk 10-14 pick on Turner imo.  We need that 10-14 to be a solid pick

How is Poetl any more of a solid pick than Turner?  They both are young raw potential guys.  Their 1st years stats are reasonably close but Turner's the better shooter and has 3pt range.

He's just really high on Kaminsky this year, just like he was hyping up Gordon to be a better version of Blake last season. So he's dismissing all other bigs, with the exception of Towns, while boosting up Kaminsky. I like Triboy, but like last year, he'll be proved wrong pretty soon.

I never said Gordon will be a better version of Blake.   Smarter version but Gordon still needs time to develop other aspects of his game (If the Magic will give him the opportunity).

In addition , yes Kaminsky is good.  Better than Turner currently/and will be drafted higher.  Watch carefully what he does the next game he plays.   

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 06:51:06 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Im really happy these are coming out. Most of my evaluations of guys are based off a few things Ive heard and the handful of games Ive seen (Ive seen a bunch of Duke, ND, and Kansas games but not really much else). They tend to give a fair evaluation of strengths and weaknesses and the video helps you get a feel for the player.

Cant wait for the rest of the videos. Whenever I hear about a player in draft talks the first thing I do is get his DraftExpress vid up.

On the Kaminsky vs. Turner debate I think people see Frank as Kelly Olynyk pt 2. white 7 footer on a good college team who isnt great at D and can hit 3s. I dont think Kellly was a bad pick but I understand people not signing up for another Kelly O. Now that projection isnt entirely valid as Kelly biggest weaknesses are probably length, strength, slow foot speed, and the fact that he is super soft. Frank has a good wingspan and has toughness so he could well be better than Kelly but you have to admit it would be quite frustrating to find another stretch 4 who is good offensively but weak defender. These are not hard players to find. Rim Protectors who can also step out and hit jumpers and rebound the ball? Those are rare players.

If we draft Turner his best case scenario is much better than Frank's which is why people want Turner over Frank myself included (and I dont want Turner either).

Lastly have to disagree on the Griffin Gordon comp. Griffin is an elite offensive big man and I see Gordon as an elite defensive 3/4. I think the comp came mostly out of the fact that they look pretty similar and can both jump out of the gym.

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 07:12:07 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I never said Gordon will be a better version of Blake.   Smarter version but Gordon still needs time to develop other aspects of his game (If the Magic will give him the opportunity).

In addition , yes Kaminsky is good.  Better than Turner currently/and will be drafted higher.  Watch carefully what he does the next game he plays.

Gordon is under his second coach in Orlando and both of them rarely play him because he's just not very good. He has a 3's body, with a 5's shooting ability (form that is fundamentally broken), while attempting to handle the ball like a 1 instead of giving up the ball early and trying to fill the lane and score in transition.

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 07:59:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Gordon is under his second coach in Orlando and both of them rarely play him because he's just not very good. He has a 3's body, with a 5's shooting ability (form that is fundamentally broken), while attempting to handle the ball like a 1 instead of giving up the ball early and trying to fill the lane and score in transition.
You need to wait Eddie.  1st year and your throwing him under the bus already. 

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 12:42:40 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
He looks like a good prospect, but I wouldn't call him a high-upside pick. Best case scenario he's a stretch 5 who can provide solid rim protection and decent offensive versatility. But a guy with his physical limitations-- both athleticisim and strength-- is not going to dominate on either end.

That isn't to say that he wouldn't be a solid pick in the late lotto, and a good fit on our team.

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 02:48:35 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

You need to wait Eddie.  1st year and your throwing him under the bus already.

I didn't like him at all and thought he had huge bust potential. So far, he's done little to dissuade that.

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 01:55:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
D'Angelo Russell Split into two videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEgMvIQ4uw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5BtA2JdOBY

Obviously this kid is going to go way before we pick, I just hope that he doesn't get drafted by a team in the division

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jarell-Martin-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-and-Video-Breakdown--4848

I like Martin with our second round pick. He already has great altheticism and could get in better shape which would make his natural ability even greater. I'm tired of guys who are clearly face up bigs getting knocked for their post game. Bigs who have a face up game are rarely going to post up into today's NBA so what is a big weakness in the college game is barely noticed in the NBA. He
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 08:19:06 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I'm watching carefully and Kaminsky is not a 5 at all. He'll get pounded in the nba at the center spot. He's too weak and gives up position way too easy. Offensively he floats along the perimeter and likes to put the ball on the floor, going left and spinning back right. That might work in college, but at the next level he's going to have to adjust or he's going to get stripped all the time.

He's a serviceable rotational big, no more than that.

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 08:51:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Kaminsky' first half vs NC is painful to watch. Not fair to judge him on this alone, but must say I hope we don't draft him, even if he is BPA, so to speak. I'd rather swing for fences with our 1st pick, whether that is Turner or someone else.  Or try to trade up and grab Porzingis, especially if he drops toward 8-9.  Packaging our own and Clip pick may be enough to get him.

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 08:53:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
D'Angelo Russell Split into two videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEgMvIQ4uw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5BtA2JdOBY

Obviously this kid is going to go way before we pick, I just hope that he doesn't get drafted by a team in the division

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jarell-Martin-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-and-Video-Breakdown--4848

I like Martin with our second round pick. He already has great altheticism and could get in better shape which would make his natural ability even greater. I'm tired of guys who are clearly face up bigs getting knocked for their post game. Bigs who have a face up game are rarely going to post up into today's NBA so what is a big weakness in the college game is barely noticed in the NBA. He

how did you post the videos here?

Just copy and paste the link? I thought the owner disabled outside postings

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 09:25:49 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40

I don't like turner
At the beginning of the season I was high on him
But now that I have seen more of him, he seems inconsistent, falls in love with the jump shot rather than bang low in the post, doesn't look mobile and runs awkwardly and has had some injuries

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 01:02:06 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

I don't like turner
At the beginning of the season I was high on him
But now that I have seen more of him, he seems inconsistent, falls in love with the jump shot rather than bang low in the post, doesn't look mobile and runs awkwardly and has had some injuries
Turner doesn't have a lot of lift and is not very explosive. He does have a very soft touch. Maybe he can develop a similar game to Lamarcus Aldridge.

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 03:40:26 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
People did not need to wait until the condensed draftexpress videos were released.  Nothing was stopping anyone from watching videos of prospects and keeping up to date.

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 04:04:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
People did not need to wait until the condensed draftexpress videos were released.  Nothing was stopping anyone from watching videos of prospects and keeping up to date.
Except for the fact that the only way I can think to do this would be to watch all the games. Correct? most videos on prospects are simply highlight videos which just show all the made buckets and maybe a highlight pass or two.

And I dont know about anyone else but I dont have time to watch the probably 300+ college basketball games it would take to analyze the top 50 or so prospects. I watch as many of the matchup videos as I can but I much prefer the comprehensive reports. Schmitz does a tremendous job.

I dont need draftexpress for the teams I watch a lot, but for guys like Kris Dunn and Kevon Looney and Frank Kaminsky the videos are really valuable.

Without their videos in front of me I would say the following:
Dunn: very quick, good passer, good athlete, long, struggles with shot/ turnovers
Looney: good rebounder, good length and athleticism, tweener (3/4) Offense is work in progress
Frank: Good shooter, 7 footer, good passer, needs to improve strength, bad on D

Those I think are OK scout reports but, a lot of it was based on stuff Id heard and some I pulled out of my ass (it just seems like Frank is probably a good passer so boom! I put it down) I think the DX videos allow me to much better understand the strengths and weaknesses of these guys.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.