Author Topic: Is Khris Middleton the Celtics most likely attainable free agent this o/season?  (Read 43660 times)

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Depends on who we draft as well.   Middleton is not a sure thing either, you can bet other teams will be gunning for him.

It would seem that Ainge is less than optimistic we can sign a big name player or he does not want to commit to what is out there.

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I'll admit that I don't know a lot about Middleton but I'd much rather target other players instead (Love, Monroe, Butler, Leonard, etc.)
None of them including green will come here. Love if he leaves goes to the Lakers. Monroe will go to Knicks if he leaves. Kenneth Faried is are best option to trade for with Rondo TPE and some picks if the Nuggets want to rebuild next year. We do have a shot at Middleton but The Bucks will not want to look bad with the ARENA Issue facing them.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Note - if Middleton keeps up his pace  and continues to show growth I'd be tempted to give him max money this year

Thankful, your not the GM, here.

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Note - if Middleton keeps up his pace  and continues to show growth I'd be tempted to give him max money this year

Love coming here for some mid day laughs. TP
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Re: Bucks loaded at SF
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2015, 01:11:55 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Isn't he a real target for sign and trade cause Bucks have Greek Freak and Jabari Parker.

I thought that, but those 3 are a great rotation at the 2 and 3. And they can go small and play Parker at the 4.

Offline Megalodon

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4

Well, there is nothing wrong with giving him the max - under this year's salary cap. It would mean a starting salary of 14700000, and it is a reasonable amount of money to pay for Middleton. Look at Chandler Parsons - his stats are (almost) a mirror replica of Middelton's, but without the defense. He got ~14700000 in the first year with player options. I would do the same with Middleton - 3x15000000, 15% trade kicker, player option on year 3. I would be very surprised to see Bucks match that. (additional note: 15M per year is 18% of the salary cap - exactly the same as initially hated and then lauded Rondo's 12M/year contract)

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Well, there is nothing wrong with giving him the max - under this year's salary cap. It would mean a starting salary of 14700000, and it is a reasonable amount of money to pay for Middleton. Look at Chandler Parsons - his stats are (almost) a mirror replica of Middelton's, but without the defense. He got ~14700000 in the first year with player options. I would do the same with Middleton - 3x15000000, 15% trade kicker, player option on year 3. I would be very surprised to see Bucks match that. (additional note: 15M per year is 18% of the salary cap - exactly the same as initially hated and then lauded Rondo's 12M/year contract)
The Bucks have plenty of cap space to match the offer and no one else they need to re-sign.  If they think of Middleton as a core player, they'll match the offer. 

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Depends if he's going to command a ton of money.

We can easily sell him the starting SF spot but if he's going to ask max money, that may not be a good idea.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I have been saying something similar (although I'm not really saying we should offer him the max), but the starting salary is probably closer to $17 million.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I have been saying something similar (although I'm not really saying we should offer him the max), but the starting salary is probably closer to $17 million.

I don't think it will be quite that high; a strict 25% of a $66 million cap would be $16.5 million, but the league doesn't use a strict 25% of the cap figure.  See footnote #2 here:  http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q16

But, going by your number...

Year 1:  $17 million; Year 2:  $17.765m; Year 3: $18.53m; Year 4: $19.295 million

For a good roleplayer who has been a good starter for one season?  Doesn't that seem crazy to anybody else?

Hell, paying Middleton a flat $15 million per season for three seasons is flat out crazy in my mind, and I really like Middleton.  People are going crazy trying to gamble on "the next big thing".  Watch some Shark Tank, fellas:  paying full price based upon potential future value is a sucker's bargain, because it doesn't take risk into account.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think it all revolves around what Danny sees as the larger picture. He can't possibly think that Kawhi is a real option, even if he does make an offer sheet. The Spurs will resign him for sure.

If Danny thinks that there is a real chance to be in a position to play meaningful basketball games (and I don't count probable 8th seed slaughter as really meaningful, I'm talking about top-3 seed with a chance at the Finals) in the next 3 years, and sees a probable hole developing at the 3, I could see why he would do it.

But if he sees different way to fill that hole, or doesn't think there is a real concern there at all, he'll pass, or make a lower offer.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd pass on Khris unless we score a bigger FA to build up team. Also Khris seems like a 4th or 3rd option not a max player so think 7-10million per. New cap maybe 10-13.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'd pass on Khris unless we score a bigger FA to build up team. Also Khris seems like a 4th or 3rd option not a max player so think 7-10million per. New cap maybe 10-13.

Agreed. Wasn't that impressed with him tonight

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I don't think it will be quite that high; a strict 25% of a $66 million cap would be $16.5 million, but the league doesn't use a strict 25% of the cap figure.  See footnote #2 here:  http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q16

But, going by your number...

Year 1:  $17 million; Year 2:  $17.765m; Year 3: $18.53m; Year 4: $19.295 million

For a good roleplayer who has been a good starter for one season?  Doesn't that seem crazy to anybody else?

Hell, paying Middleton a flat $15 million per season for three seasons is flat out crazy in my mind, and I really like Middleton.  People are going crazy trying to gamble on "the next big thing".  Watch some Shark Tank, fellas:  paying full price based upon potential future value is a sucker's bargain, because it doesn't take risk into account.

Stop. ;D

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I think we should offer him a fair offer but not the max.  He does not deserve to be a max guy.   We don't want to hamper up the rebuild by hamstringing ourselves by paying the max to that kind of guy.