Author Topic: Is Khris Middleton the Celtics most likely attainable free agent this o/season?  (Read 43849 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Unless it is a player that draws others to the Celtics, do not overpay to that level. 

I agree.  You need to save your max contract slots for #1 and #2 options.  Khris Middleton has been one of the best role players in the NBA this season, but he's still more of a really, really good glue guy than a guy you commit huge dollars to.

If Middleton was seen as a "finishing piece" type of guy, then I'd have no problem paying him whatever it took.  However, we're not close to that.

I further agree that the increasing cap is a bit overblown.  Sure, committing 25% of our cap now is like committing 18% - 20% in  couple of years.  However, I don't think spending 18% - 20% of our cap on a single role player is a good use of our resources right now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A lot depends on who we draft, I do not see going for him if we go after Stanley Johnson in the draft.   If we went after WCS, yes, he makes sense.  I am sure Ainge will not offer the guy the keys to the city.  He won't hamstring with a mid level free agent.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Unless it is a player that draws others to the Celtics, do not overpay to that level. 

I agree.  You need to save your max contract slots for #1 and #2 options.  Khris Middleton has been one of the best role players in the NBA this season, but he's still more of a really, really good glue guy than a guy you commit huge dollars to.

If Middleton was seen as a "finishing piece" type of guy, then I'd have no problem paying him whatever it took.  However, we're not close to that.

I further agree that the increasing cap is a bit overblown.  Sure, committing 25% of our cap now is like committing 18% - 20% in  couple of years.  However, I don't think spending 18% - 20% of our cap on a single role player is a good use of our resources right now.
I think those 1 and 2 guys will come from the draft and trades. Why not add a quality piece like Middleton at a high salary who could fit around the #1 and #2 guys while they develop? If our future star players are coming through the draft, we will be able to go over the cap to sign them, so adding a complimentary piece to improve the talent base of the team isn't a bad idea.

With shorter NBA contracts than in the previous CBA and the cap exploding I think it does the Celtics more good to increase their talent base, than save the cap space until a star player wants to play here.

Ainge has always been about acquiring assets and I think 23 year old Khris Middleton even at the max is quality asset. He is a guy who can shoot the lights out and improves his team dramatically on defense (his on/off numbers are crazy).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I wouldn't either, but then again lately Middleton looks a lot more like that #1 or #2 option and a lot less than a role player.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I think those 1 and 2 guys will come from the draft and trades. Why not add a quality piece like Middleton at a high salary who could fit around the #1 and #2 guys while they develop? If our future star players are coming through the draft, we will be able to go over the cap to sign them, so adding a complimentary piece to improve the talent base of the team isn't a bad idea.

With shorter NBA contracts than in the previous CBA and the cap exploding I think it does the Celtics more good to increase their talent base, than save the cap space until a star player wants to play here.

Ainge has always been about acquiring assets and I think 23 year old Khris Middleton even at the max is quality asset. He is a guy who can shoot the lights out and improves his team dramatically on defense (his on/off numbers are crazy).

I am not against getting him.

I would be against the major overpayment of a max (or near max) for a guy that has been great for part of a season heading into a new contract on a weak team. 

I think a reasonably sign and trade would make sense considering the Bucks have other SFs they likely want to develop over him.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I would be against the major overpayment of a max (or near max) for a guy that has been great for part of a season heading into a new contract on a weak team. 

I think a reasonably sign and trade would make sense considering the Bucks have other SFs they likely want to develop over him.
What is the most per year that you would feel comfortable signing him at?

I think the Bucks might want him to be their long term option at the 2 so I'm not sure they deal him.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I wouldn't either, but then again lately Middleton looks a lot more like that #1 or #2 option and a lot less than a role player.

I probably catch more Bucks games than most members of the blog, due to having Middleton on my "DKC" team.

I love the guy, but he's not a top-2 option.  He thrives because opposing defenses aren't focusing on him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I think the Bucks might want him to be their long term option at the 2 so I'm not sure they deal him.

Maybe 7 to 8 million on a short contract.  (protection for both the Celtics if his play is a mirage and protection for him if he continues to improve)

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Maybe 7 to 8 million on a short contract.  (protection for both the Celtics if his play is a mirage and protection for him if he continues to improve)
That is the most you would pay for him? or just the ideal amount?

I don't think that is a reasonable amount for what is going to be the climate in free agency. I don't see him signing for anything less than 12 and if I had to guess it'll be closer to 14 a year. However, I do think the idea of him signing a deal for short years (like two with a player or a team option for the 3rd) makes sense.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

That is the most you would pay for him? or just the ideal amount?

I don't think that is a reasonable amount for what is going to be the climate in free agency. I don't see him signing for anything less than 12 and if I had to guess it'll be closer to 14 a year. However, I do think the idea of him signing a deal for short years (like two with a player or a team option for the 3rd) makes sense.

I think that is reasonable and close to what he should get unless some GM (looking at you NY and Lakers) who will decide to play crazy money just to get someone to come to their team. 

At 12 million, you better be bringing in someone that better players will come to Boston to play with. 

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I feel like I would give him a four year max offer. I think Milwaukee would match unless it was that high. I think he's a great fit here and is a great opportunity. Free agents are hard to get and he is restricted so I would make the offer.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I probably catch more Bucks games than most members of the blog, due to having Middleton on my "DKC" team.

I love the guy, but he's not a top-2 option.  He thrives because opposing defenses aren't focusing on him.

I do watch a decent amount of Bucks games too, and I do agree with your assessment, but also disagree at times. With the Bucks being short handed, Middleton is forced to strive or thrive around the perimeter, and while Khris is a great spot up shooter, he can also finish inside which I like. With his large and lengthy wingspan, it helps him make up by being able to take a body or shot inside the paint, and contesting shots from far away.

I think Khris on a very good team, could be a 2nd option. He definitely is in the running for Most Improved player.

If we brought in someone like Cousins, would you give a near to close max contract to Middleton?

I also think hes better suited at SF, while hes only at 215, he does really well defending. I would say though on help defense, Middleton does seem to struggle, but hes only 23. I think his offensive game will flourish in the right system.

Do you think Jason Kidd is using Middleton the right way too? I just don't see it. He just seems to wait around the 3 point line.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'll admit that I don't know a lot about Middleton but I'd much rather target other players instead (Love, Monroe, Butler, Leonard, etc.)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'll admit that I don't know a lot about Middleton but I'd much rather target other players instead (Love, Monroe, Butler, Leonard, etc.)

Definitely not leaving their prospective teams, and Love seems like he would stay especially if the Cavs get to ECF, which I presume they will.

Our best bet is Monroe, and I'm not exactly that convinced he'd be a huge benefit to our team. I would rather trade the farm for Cousins honestly at this point. Cousins doesn't seem like hes happy in Karl's system, and even though he has stated many times he want to stay, I just don't see him having the same exact mindset a few months from now.

The Kings are also bound for the lottery once again. Getting rid of Mike Malone, who Cousins explicitly has said time and time again, how comfortable he is, will only serve to prove how foolish the Kings FO/Organization is.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
One NBA assistant general manager estimated Middleton will receive a multi-year contract that will average around $7 million annually; another NBA official predicted Middleton will be paid $8M per year.

http://journaltimes.com/sports/basketball/bucks-beat-big-payday-awaits-middleton/article_1994a5dd-9cae-58ca-b8e1-cdc416378e5c.html

I think that's a bit on the low side (thank you, Detroit Pistons with Jodie Meeks) but the I think that it's insanity to suggest paying Middleton $14 million, or even $17 million, per year.

$14 million per year would make Middleton roughly the 30th highest paid player in the league; $17 million (a four year max) would put him about 15th.  I don't care what the cap does; if you pay Khris Middleton like a #1 option, your team is going to be screwed.