Author Topic: Is Khris Middleton the Celtics most likely attainable free agent this o/season?  (Read 43854 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So I personally love this kid. He was a 2nd round pick that was originally a lottery prospect years ago, but he hurt his ankle before the draft. (similarly to Caris Levert this year).
I believe considering how much Danny and Brad Stevens are obsessed with numbers guys, this guy is target numero uno for us this offseason.

6'7" shooting guard/small forward
215 pounds
Just turned 23 years old (younger than Kelly Olynyk)

Seems like the PERFECT guy for this team, with a no fuss attitude, doesn't care about the bright lights and is very happy in Milwaukee. He says as long as there's a gym around, he's set.
His attitude is all about working hard and he'd be a great fit for Stevens and our style of play too. Ok so his attitude is great, but check out his numbers post All Star break.

Post All Star break:

17.5 points
4.7 rebounds
2.9 assists
3 point FG% 44% attempting 4 shots per game (shot 40.7% for entire season-better than anyone we currently have)
total FG % 45.2% on 14.5 attempts a game
Free throw percentage 86% for season

As many know from previous posts he is top 10 in NBA real +/- for the season.

Great article on Middleton here and his success since the All Star Break. Explains how he's improved on isolation plays and utiziling his ability to break down defenders off the dribble. (something we need badly considering all we have is IT off the bench, and Evan Turner).

http://www.milwaukeemag.com/2015/03/19/quick-bucks-new-khris-middleton/

He's got size, length and is a great defender.

In a recent interview with Zach Lowe, he said he wants to utilize his skills in the post so that teams are forced to double him so he can kick out to passers.
You get some insight into his personality. In his off time he likes to play FIFA on the playstation rather than go out to clubs- but he had to cut down on FIFA ha.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/qa-with-milwaukees-khris-middleton-on-impending-free-agency-cereal-and-more/

Seems like a great target to throw a large offer at because of his age/potential and what he's already proven. I also think the Bucks will try and match almost any offer, but with the Salary cap going up to 108 million, this guy should get an offer from us of something like 4 years x $15 million in the Chandler Parsons area of money, considering Parsons is 3 years older.

Segment on NBA TV
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2015/03/30/20150330-gametime-middleton.nba/

lastly, a highlight video of the kid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuwT27wTYOw
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:17:03 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I love the kid, but Milwaukee will match any reasonable offer. We could probably get him for a max offer, but I have no interest in that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I love the kid, but Milwaukee will match any reasonable offer. We could probably get him for a max offer, but I have no interest in that.

Yeah, unfortunately the secret is out with Middleton. I am definitely a fan, but question his effectiveness as a shot creator off the dribble, which is something we are going to need from our SF position moving forward (our current back court doesn't exactly excel at this, although IT is crazy-good off the bench). It's possible teams will shy away from him - including the Bucks who have a number of very good young forwards on their roster, but I imagine somebody will see the potential to be something greater.

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I like him too but we already have Crowder. At worst he's a hustle 3+D guy but he can do similar things to Middleton and will not cost as much (assuming we extend him after next season).
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think it's more likely we get Greg Monroe, because he is unrestricted. Middleton is restricted and the Bucks have the money to sign him.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I like him too but we already have Crowder. At worst he's a hustle 3+D guy but he can do similar things to Middleton and will not cost as much (assuming we extend him after next season).

Not a bad comparison, but I think it is a reach to say that Crowder's absolute top upside is even close to where Middleton is now. Middleton is significantly better in every aspect of the game except rebounding (and that's close). Jae's put together a nice run for the Celtics the last couple of months, averaging 11/6 vs his 9/4 on the season as a whole with the Cs (I'm not taking into account his dismal time at Dallas).

Middleton, on the other hand, is averaging 13/4/4 this season but has the look of a guy who has just made it to the next level. He's scored in double digits in 26 of his last 28 games and is averaging 17/5/3 in the last two months and that's not due to an overly hot shooting streak. He just looks like a guy who is "getting it", much in the way we've seen Crowder play better with extended time.

But here's the thing - I think both of these guys would be awesome in the same lineup. Middleton's best position is SG - that's where he's started most of the year. Crowder is the same height but 25 pounds heavier and therefore is a natural SF. While neither is a perfect creator, both can put the ball on the floor when needed. Imagine playing Smart (6-4), and these two on defense? Opposing teams would have a fit trying to score. The positional flexibility and minutes would be there even to give IT his 25-30 minutes per game.

Note - if Middleton keeps up his pace  and continues to show growth I'd be tempted to give him max money this year. Max money won't mean as much when the cap jumps anyway and to get a 24 year old kid (he turns 24 in August) who can average 18/4/4 and play lockdown defense is worthy of a max deal.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I like Middleton and he has alot of the same things going for him as Jimmy Butler. He would be a great addition. As Jackie Mac said the Cs will likely be going after a 2nd tier FA like D Green or Middleton. Neither are #1 or #2 option but are great system fit type players who will continue to excel with BS. The problem is both will be really tough to pull away from their current teams.

I know there was already a thread on this but I would be really interesting to see how the following team would perform.

1. Sign Middleton
2. Trade Sully, Turner, clip 2015, 2 2015 2nds for Faried (using big TPE)
3. Draft Poeltl with Cs 2015 1st
4. Resign Crowder and Jerebko

2015-16

C  Zeller
PF Faried
SF Middleton
SG AB
PG Smart
6th IT4
7th KO
8th Crowder
9th Jerebko
10th Young
11th Pressey
12th Wallace
13th Poetlt (d-league season)

Through defense, hustle and depth I think this is a sold 6th-7th seed that still has assets and flexibility. This is also a roster that may be able to attract a bigger name FA.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah even with the cap increase the fact that guys like Green/Middleton are going to get such huge offers is going to make my head spin.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Max money won't mean as much when the cap jumps anyway and to get a 24 year old kid (he turns 24 in August) who can average 18/4/4 and play lockdown defense is worthy of a max deal.

I really dislike this thought process.  It is a great way to destroy any of the new flexibility the new expanded cap is going to give teams for a season or two.  Teams that get guys on contracts that fit properly in terms of the current cap will have the advantage for a few years when the new cap hits, 

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Max money won't mean as much when the cap jumps anyway and to get a 24 year old kid (he turns 24 in August) who can average 18/4/4 and play lockdown defense is worthy of a max deal.

I really dislike this thought process.  It is a great way to destroy any of the new flexibility the new expanded cap is going to give teams for a season or two.  Teams that get guys on contracts that fit properly in terms of the current cap will have the advantage for a few years when the new cap hits,
I agree. We have not made smart moves all this time to just hand max deals out justbecause we can.

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I'd be happy with the max going to Middleton (obviously provided we can't land Kawhi or Butler). If the cap rises as projected he will be a steal.

Smart/IT
Bradley/ET/James Young
Khris Middleton/Jae Crowder/Caris LeVert
Sullinger/Olynyk
Myles Turner/Zeller

That's fun to think about.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:10:31 AM by TheFlex »

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

The Flexibility becomes significantly less of an asset when the cap spike will allow almost every team to have the same flexibility.

I don't see free agents wanting to come here unless we pay top dollar, so I'd rather pay top dollar for a guy like Middleton, than either keep the cap space or spend it on several lesser players. However, we should only pay top dollar for Middleton if other higher value targets like Love and Monroe have passed on us.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

The Flexibility becomes significantly less of an asset when the cap spike will allow almost every team to have the same flexibility.

I don't see free agents wanting to come here unless we pay top dollar, so I'd rather pay top dollar for a guy like Middleton, than either keep the cap space or spend it on several lesser players. However, we should only pay top dollar for Middleton if other higher value targets like Love and Monroe have passed on us.

Disagree.

Unless it is a player that draws others to the Celtics, do not overpay to that level. 

And not everyone is going to have as much cap space as others.  Some teams are going to overpay players now because of the jump only to find out those players are still overpayed in the new NBA cap reality.  If the Celtics have a young promising team delivering on that promise, then that cap space could be use to add more then one top level piece. 

Bucks loaded at SF
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 11:25:38 AM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Isn't he a real target for sign and trade cause Bucks have Greek Freak and Jabari Parker.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Disagree.

Unless it is a player that draws others to the Celtics, do not overpay to that level. 

And not everyone is going to have as much cap space as others.  Some teams are going to overpay players now because of the jump only to find out those players are still overpayed in the new NBA cap reality.  If the Celtics have a young promising team delivering on that promise, then that cap space could be use to add more then one top level piece.

Depending on how Khris does this year, I would possibly give him a max. A guy who can defend 4 positions, and can shoot so well from deep is a perfect fit for Brad Systems system.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different