Author Topic: C's Season Tickets - 2016-2017: updated  (Read 27722 times)

Re: C's Season Tickets - 2016-2017: updated
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 04:06:26 PM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
I just re-upped today.  I've been an STHr since the 04-05 season.  I always suggest being an STHr if you're a Celtics fan in the area. 

Don't worry about not being able to make every game.  If you're interested in re-selling them, honestly if you have balcony seats, you'll have little trouble "getting your money back" even through the NBA Ticket Exchange which I use here and there.  Let alone when they could be very, very good - as soon as next year.

I also think they make a great gift.  I like to give away a lot of my seats to listeners of Celtics Beat as a thank you for listening.

I'm listening to that as we speak (but I already have tickets. ;) )!

Love the Ticket Exchange site when I need it, but hate the 21.5% fee that they add to resold tickets (versus the flat $5 fee if you buy directly from the Celts).

Mike

Thanks so much for listening ;) Appreciate it!

Got no problem with the fee.  Haven't done much this year on the re-sale site, I have in the past, like I said - I enjoy giving them away on Twitter/Facebook.  But of course they need to make a little money for the service.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 05:11:41 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
On the fence about renewing my tickets. Did a half season this year, loge tickets $80 each face value.
This year I'm up to the 22 game plan with more desirable west coast games. They raised the price from $80-$82 if I renew and pay right away and $85 if I wait it out. They also have an incentive to get 20% off playoff tickets for this year if I renew right away.

Here is my one beef with season tickets, or at least my season tickets. Selling tickets to most games and recouping face value is very difficult, especially during the first half of the season. It is safe to say that the majority of Celtics "fans" don't tune in until football season is over.
Comparable tickets for the majority of games in my package this year were $60-$70 on average face value on ticketmaster. Granted there are a handful where face value surpassed $80 but those games were few and far between, and finding loge tickets for $80 or less for any game is relatively easy if you want to wait closer to game time. I got Cavs tickets a few hours before tip off for $50 each ($110 face value).
I know the Celtics use a dynamic pricing model, but in my mind there should never be an instance where season ticket holders are paying more than face value than prices listed on ticketmaster. Why do I need to pay $80 for the same game somebody else is paying $60 for on ticketmaster for comparable seats? Why should I pay more for committing to 21 or 22 games vs. somebody who goes to one a year? It just doesn't seem fair to me. similarly throughout the season the Celtics offer smaller game promotions like 6 or 10 game packages. Often the promotions are the same price or a few dollars more then what I am paying as a half season holder. Again where is the incentive?
I know the response is "well you get playoff rights" or "well you get those in demand games."
My response, I also have to pay full price for pre season games that nobody wants, and I can get playoff tickets on one of the 10 presale opportunities that come my way.
I agree that the Celtics treat their fans right with perks like others have mentioned (although most perks I can take or leave), they just have their season ticket pricing all wrong in my opinion.. face value for season ticket holders for any game should never be higher then face value on ticketmaster. Why punish those who are committed?

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 05:25:28 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I've never heard of the face value of the ticket being higher than a STH pays themself. I've never seen it in my four years, anyway.

But STH are allowed to resell on the Ticketmaster partner site, and I can price below face if I want.

Mike

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 08:27:43 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
I've never heard of the face value of the ticket being higher than a STH pays themself. I've never seen it in my four years, anyway.

But STH are allowed to resell on the Ticketmaster partner site, and I can price below face if I want.

Mike
This is face value through ticketmaster, not resale prices.
Maybe I just picked a bad price point, but as an example my next game is this Thursday. My seats are in row 23 of section 20. My cost is $80 per.
Ticketmaster cost for this game in this section/similar row is 66.50, the following game against the Jazz, same story 66.50 each. This has been pretty much the story for the entire season with the exception of a select group of games. Full season pays $70 each per game, so technically this is applicable to full season ticket holders also (just not as badly).
How is this fair to somebody who is willing to purchase 20+ games up front? If ticketmaster is going to charge $60-70 on average for this section, the celtics should be charging season ticket holders $60 per ticket not $80.
To make matters worse if I can't make a game and want to sell the tickets through the ticket exchange I already have to price below ticketmasters face value(which is already under mine) and get charged an additional 20% on top of it. When its all said and done i'm lucky if I get half of my cost back.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/boston-celtics-vs-milwaukee-bucks-boston-massachusetts-02-25-2016/event/01004F23235591EE?artistid=805903&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=7&tm_link=artist_msg-0_01004F23235591EE

http://www.ticketmaster.com/boston-celtics-vs-utah-jazz-boston-massachusetts-02-29-2016/event/01004F231B948EE9?artistid=805903&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=7&tm_link=artist_msg-0_01004F231B948EE9
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 08:33:25 PM by jbpats »

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 10:03:26 PM »

Offline Mike

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18

Mike
Maybe I just picked a bad price point, but as an example my next game is this Thursday. My seats are in row 23 of section 20. My cost is $80 per.
Ticketmaster cost for this game in this section/similar row is 66.50, the following game against the Jazz, same story 66.50 each. This has been pretty much the story for the entire season with the exception of a select group of games. Full season pays $70 each per game, so technically this is applicable to full season ticket holders also (just not as badly).
How is this fair to somebody who is willing to purchase 20+ games up front? If ticketmaster is going to charge $60-70 on average for this section, the celtics should be charging season ticket holders $60 per ticket not $80.
To make matters worse if I can't make a game and want to sell the tickets through the ticket exchange I already have to price below ticketmasters face value(which is already under mine) and get charged an additional 20% on top of it. When its all said and done i'm lucky if I get half of my cost back.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/boston-celtics-vs-milwaukee-bucks-boston-massachusetts-02-25-2016/event/01004F23235591EE?artistid=805903&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=7&tm_link=artist_msg-0_01004F23235591EE

http://www.ticketmaster.com/boston-celtics-vs-utah-jazz-boston-massachusetts-02-29-2016/event/01004F231B948EE9?artistid=805903&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=7&tm_link=artist_msg-0_01004F231B948EE9

It sounds to me like you aren't getting a great value out of your half-season package.  Row 23 is pretty high up for seats that aren't too close to the sideline.  At $80 per, I can see how it can be tough to get good value back when you resell.

I disagree, however, with the notion that half-season packages should cost the same as full-season packages.  Shouldn't a higher bulk purchase be given a greater discount?  That being said, I would look for a better value.  Seat selection obviously goes by seniority, but be persistent in upgrading every year.  Not necessarily to a higher price point, but at least to a lower row/aisle seats within a price point.

FWIW, I became a STH before the 2008 playoffs, and I have a pair in section 5 row J for $76/seat.  Reselling was tough the past two seasons (my seats were also different), but this year I've had great success when I resell, considering that we don't have a superstar to draw fans.

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 11:21:31 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So is there a price list for season tickets in each section?

If I buy these and on sell them (going to a few games myself, friends etc), what is the % vig from stubhub or wherever you sell them?

I don't mind losing like $20-40 a game on each ticket, I just want to be a season member.

Anyone got experience doing this over multiple years?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 05:57:26 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney

Mike

It sounds to me like you aren't getting a great value out of your half-season package.  Row 23 is pretty high up for seats that aren't too close to the sideline.  At $80 per, I can see how it can be tough to get good value back when you resell.

I disagree, however, with the notion that half-season packages should cost the same as full-season packages.  Shouldn't a higher bulk purchase be given a greater discount?  That being said, I would look for a better value.  Seat selection obviously goes by seniority, but be persistent in upgrading every year.  Not necessarily to a higher price point, but at least to a lower row/aisle seats within a price point.

FWIW, I became a STH before the 2008 playoffs, and I have a pair in section 5 row J for $76/seat.  Reselling was tough the past two seasons (my seats were also different), but this year I've had great success when I resell, considering that we don't have a superstar to draw fans.

I never said that a half season ticket holder should pay the same as a full. I said neither should ever pay more than face value to the general public. My examples were just to prove we were more often than not.

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 08:28:31 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

Mike

I see what you're saying. Yup, that's really annoying. I use the dynamic pricing model to set a cost basis for my tickets when I'm giving them away and, without exception, the games that I give away are less than or equal to my average value, so it's a net negative. I looked through my tickets and couldn't find any where the price was lower after adjusting for the flex pricing, but I'm sure there are some where there are lower prices.

Mike

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 09:53:14 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

If I buy these and on sell them (going to a few games myself, friends etc), what is the % vig from stubhub or wherever you sell them?

I don't mind losing like $20-40 a game on each ticket, I just want to be a season member.

Tl;dr: Go for it.

Long: I've been doing this for four years and, being the anal !$%& that I am, have actually kept a spreadsheet of my "wins/losses."

I sell mine on the Ticketmaster resale site:

http://www.ticketsnow.com/nba/boston-celtics-tickets/

Pull up any game. You'll see seats in blue and seats in red. The tickets in blue are coming directly from the Celtics. There is a $5 TM surcharge to the buyer on these tickets. The seats in red are seats from a reseller, almost always from season ticket holders. Those seats come with a 21.5% surcharge to the buyer, as well as a 5% fee to the seller. My tickets are $85 each, so it becomes very uncompetitive for me, particularly when seats are going for hundreds of dollars. I don't mind TM or the Celtics making a few bucks from me, but that seems excessive. I've had numerous conversations with my Celtics rep (who is fantastic) about it. It's unlikely to change. The Celtics also place a floor on what you can resell your tickets for on TM. No such limit on StubHub.

The resales are important to me. I used to go to games with my brother, but he moved out of town. Now, I'm reselling more tickets than I used to.

Pricing:

A few years ago, the Celtics started a dynamic pricing model. Prior to that, every ticket would cost the same amount. STHs began complaining that, when they donate their tickets to the Celtics' charity (an option if you aren't going to the game and don't resell them), that they should get more for a Cleveland game than they should for a Phoenix game. That theory makes sense, although I don't like it, because I have no problem selling Cleveland tickets but have a hard time giving away Phoenix. I'd rather have the fixed price.

In any case, they have divided the games into five different categories. If you want, shoot me a PM and I'll scan and email you the chart from this year, but they look pretty much like you'd expect. The price of the ticket is based on what category it is in but, over the whole season, your average ticket price doesn't change. For example, my tickets are $85 each. The entire season costs me $85*43, or $3,655. But, within that package, my Cleveland tickets are valued at $110.5 each, while the preseason games are $59.50.

It's unlikely that you'd lose $20-40 per game if, for no other reason, than it's hard to get tickets that are much higher than $100 or so. If they're available, you may not want them (e.g., The corner seats on the folding chairs in front of the loge are expensive, but it's hard to see from them.). Worst case scenario is that you'd donate them and take a tax deduction.

Each year, you have the opportunity to change your seats. Your move-up date is based on your seniority, i.e., people who have been around 20 years get a shot at available tickets before I do.

Returns

Here are my returns for the past four years, including where I've sat and what I got. These returns represent my unused tickets (ones where I didn't go to the games) sales as a percent of what I paid for them. In a year in which there was a dynamic pricing model, the cost is represented by that dynamic price, not the average ticket price. For seats that I donated, my return is calculated as the tax deduction that I was able to take:

2012-13: Last year of the Big 3. Section 9, Row 14. Avg ticket price was ~$105. Including resold playoffs tickets, I made 100.1% of what I paid for them. In other words, I got full value for my unused tickets.

2013-14: They sucked. Section 9, Row 7. Avg ticket price ~$105. No playoff tickets to resell. I only made back about 75% of what I paid for them.

2014-15: Section 9, Row 1. Avg. ticket price ~$95. In the 2014 off-season, the Celtics made a lot of really sweet offers, one of which was to get put into the next "move-up class" if you renewed early. They also gave me a 10% discount on the tickets. Because I was in a more senior move-up class, I snagged some great first row tickets in my section. I'm in the corner but have nobody directly in front of me and a great view of the game. The railing in front of me also makes a nice place to leave trays of food. Added bonus: There is a single seat next to me that often goes unused, so I have a place to store jackets. They once tried to sell me that seat at a 50% discount. I laughed. About halfway through the season, I was getting so bored that I thought about not renewing. They became a lot more fun after the trades and I ended up with 85-90% returns on the tickets I wasn't using.

2015-16: Section 9, Row 1. Avg. Ticket Price ~$85. They lowered my ticket price again, just as the Celtics started to get good. Unlike the previous few years, when I had priced my tickets too high and lowered them throughout the year, this year, I priced them too low and started to raise them. The season isn't over, but I will easily clear 100% of the value of my unused tickets and, with any luck, will make enough to pay for the entire season.

2016-17: Price went up to $90 per ticket, not a bad increase, given the level of play and interest.

Other stuff: They throw in a lot of extras for STHs. I have a 7-year old son, and he loves all the benefits. He gets to be a "courtside kid" and high-5 the players as they came out one game per year. We also get one game each year when we get to shoot on the parquet after the game. In two of the three years I've done it, they've had a player come out to take photos (Hint: It's easier for them to get a player after a win than a loss. Pick Phoenix as your game, not San Antonio.). I have a nice picture of him with James Young. They also open up the practice facility once per year and have an open practice at the Garden. And technically, while I'm not entitled to use the premium entrance, no one has ever stopped me. It saves a lot of time entering the stadium.

I also have a personal rep who looks out for me. He likely has several hundred clients, but he remembers my names and my kids' names whenever we see him. One time, they messed something up on the day we were supposed to be going onto the floor that night. They fixed it and, to make up for it, he got me a couple of seats to the AT&T deck (private room, open buffet). Your rep (and STH benefits) may vary.

A couple of hints:

Go to a couple of games in the area you want to buy tickets, either loge or balcony. Take a walk around and see which sections you like and which you don't. Before the game, they'll practically let you onto the court.

We send my rep a thank you note whenever we use one of our benefits. I've also sent a note to his boss saying what a great job he does (Fortunately, it's true.). It can't hurt.

Sometimes, you get lucky. I just happened to luck into seats where Jo Jo White walks right in front of me on the way to his seats. Never gets old. Also, Scal has tickets on the floor diagonal to my section. As you can imagine, he's not that hard to pick out.

Feel free to add any questions or PM me.

Mike

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 10:03:47 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Tl;dr: Go for it.

Long: I've been doing this for four years and, being the anal !$%& that I am, have actually kept a spreadsheet of my "wins/losses."

I sell mine on the Ticketmaster resale site:

http://www.ticketsnow.com/nba/boston-celtics-tickets/

Pull up any game. You'll see seats in blue and seats in red. The tickets in blue are coming directly from the Celtics. There is a $5 TM surcharge to the buyer on these tickets. The seats in red are seats from a reseller, almost always from season ticket holders. Those seats come with a 21.5% surcharge to the buyer, as well as a 5% fee to the seller. My tickets are $85 each, so it becomes very uncompetitive for me, particularly when seats are going for hundreds of dollars. I don't mind TM or the Celtics making a few bucks from me, but that seems excessive. I've had numerous conversations with my Celtics rep (who is fantastic) about it. It's unlikely to change. The Celtics also place a floor on what you can resell your tickets for on TM. No such limit on StubHub.

The resales are important to me. I used to go to games with my brother, but he moved out of town. Now, I'm reselling more tickets than I used to.

Pricing:

A few years ago, the Celtics started a dynamic pricing model. Prior to that, every ticket would cost the same amount. STHs began complaining that, when they donate their tickets to the Celtics' charity (an option if you aren't going to the game and don't resell them), that they should get more for a Cleveland game than they should for a Phoenix game. That theory makes sense, although I don't like it, because I have no problem selling Cleveland tickets but have a hard time giving away Phoenix. I'd rather have the fixed price.

In any case, they have divided the games into five different categories. If you want, shoot me a PM and I'll scan and email you the chart from this year, but they look pretty much like you'd expect. The price of the ticket is based on what category it is in but, over the whole season, your average ticket price doesn't change. For example, my tickets are $85 each. The entire season costs me $85*43, or $3,655. But, within that package, my Cleveland tickets are valued at $110.5 each, while the preseason games are $59.50.

It's unlikely that you'd lose $20-40 per game if, for no other reason, than it's hard to get tickets that are much higher than $100 or so. If they're available, you may not want them (e.g., The corner seats on the folding chairs in front of the loge are expensive, but it's hard to see from them.). Worst case scenario is that you'd donate them and take a tax deduction.

Each year, you have the opportunity to change your seats. Your move-up date is based on your seniority, i.e., people who have been around 20 years get a shot at available tickets before I do.

Returns

Here are my returns for the past four years, including where I've sat and what I got. These returns represent my unused tickets (ones where I didn't go to the games) sales as a percent of what I paid for them. In a year in which there was a dynamic pricing model, the cost is represented by that dynamic price, not the average ticket price. For seats that I donated, my return is calculated as the tax deduction that I was able to take:

2012-13: Last year of the Big 3. Section 9, Row 14. Avg ticket price was ~$105. Including resold playoffs tickets, I made 100.1% of what I paid for them. In other words, I got full value for my unused tickets.

2013-14: They sucked. Section 9, Row 7. Avg ticket price ~$105. No playoff tickets to resell. I only made back about 75% of what I paid for them.

2014-15: Section 9, Row 1. Avg. ticket price ~$95. In the 2014 off-season, the Celtics made a lot of really sweet offers, one of which was to get put into the next "move-up class" if you renewed early. They also gave me a 10% discount on the tickets. Because I was in a more senior move-up class, I snagged some great first row tickets in my section. I'm in the corner but have nobody directly in front of me and a great view of the game. The railing in front of me also makes a nice place to leave trays of food. Added bonus: There is a single seat next to me that often goes unused, so I have a place to store jackets. They once tried to sell me that seat at a 50% discount. I laughed. About halfway through the season, I was getting so bored that I thought about not renewing. They became a lot more fun after the trades and I ended up with 85-90% returns on the tickets I wasn't using.

2015-16: Section 9, Row 1. Avg. Ticket Price ~$85. They lowered my ticket price again, just as the Celtics started to get good. Unlike the previous few years, when I had priced my tickets too high and lowered them throughout the year, this year, I priced them too low and started to raise them. The season isn't over, but I will easily clear 100% of the value of my unused tickets and, with any luck, will make enough to pay for the entire season.

2016-17: Price went up to $90 per ticket, not a bad increase, given the level of play and interest.

Other stuff: They throw in a lot of extras for STHs. I have a 7-year old son, and he loves all the benefits. He gets to be a "courtside kid" and high-5 the players as they came out one game per year. We also get one game each year when we get to shoot on the parquet after the game. In two of the three years I've done it, they've had a player come out to take photos (Hint: It's easier for them to get a player after a win than a loss. Pick Phoenix as your game, not San Antonio.). I have a nice picture of him with James Young. They also open up the practice facility once per year and have an open practice at the Garden. And technically, while I'm not entitled to use the premium entrance, no one has ever stopped me. It saves a lot of time entering the stadium.

I also have a personal rep who looks out for me. He likely has several hundred clients, but he remembers my names and my kids' names whenever we see him. One time, they messed something up on the day we were supposed to be going onto the floor that night. They fixed it and, to make up for it, he got me a couple of seats to the AT&T deck (private room, open buffet). Your rep (and STH benefits) may vary.

A couple of hints:

Go to a couple of games in the area you want to buy tickets, either loge or balcony. Take a walk around and see which sections you like and which you don't. Before the game, they'll practically let you onto the court.

We send my rep a thank you note whenever we use one of our benefits. I've also sent a note to his boss saying what a great job he does (Fortunately, it's true.). It can't hurt.

Sometimes, you get lucky. I just happened to luck into seats where Jo Jo White walks right in front of me on the way to his seats. Never gets old. Also, Scal has tickets on the floor diagonal to my section. As you can imagine, he's not that hard to pick out.

Feel free to add any questions or PM me.

Mike

You are the man. I just briefly went over what you wrote but I'll take a closer look later today when I have time and will probably ask you a few Q's. Very much appreciated, TP. TP .TP
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 10:37:38 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
Glad to help.

Mike

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016, 11:54:02 AM »

Offline kmannhl1

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I ended up renewing yesterday, just love the outlook for this team going forward, Go C's!!!   8)

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2016, 06:47:17 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
Got my playoff tickets offer yesterday. My normal price per ticket is $85.

Round 1: $95
Round 2: $125
Round 3: $165
Round 4: $240

Several payment options, including pay-as-you-go or pay all up front. If you do pay up front, you are buying tickets for 16 games, with the difference to go as a credit if we don't use them all. That method doesn't make sense to me. I'll be left over with a lot of tickets after we sweep the first three rounds in four and beat GS in five. Well, maybe six.

Overall, I'm very happy with the pricing. Given what they could charge for those tickets, I think it is very fair. Granted, Round 4 would probably be more if management believed we could go that far, but I'm not complaining.

Mike

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2016, 05:35:18 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
Got my playoff tickets offer yesterday. My normal price per ticket is $85.

Round 1: $95
Round 2: $125
Round 3: $165
Round 4: $240

Several payment options, including pay-as-you-go or pay all up front. If you do pay up front, you are buying tickets for 16 games, with the difference to go as a credit if we don't use them all. That method doesn't make sense to me. I'll be left over with a lot of tickets after we sweep the first three rounds in four and beat GS in five. Well, maybe six.

Overall, I'm very happy with the pricing. Given what they could charge for those tickets, I think it is very fair. Granted, Round 4 would probably be more if management believed we could go that far, but I'm not complaining.

Mike

Those are the prices with the 20% additional discount applied? Do you have a full or half season package?

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2016, 05:36:32 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
Decided to re-up my tickets for next year. Team is just looking too promising to not have.
Kick a brother a TP!!