Author Topic: Jeff Green asks to be taken out of Grizzlies starting lineup  (Read 4825 times)

Re: Jeff Green asks to be taken out of Grizzlies starting lineup
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 12:08:20 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
He really seems to be on a mission to prove true all of the cliche labels he's been branded with since entering the league.

Like that he's trying to be more aggressive scoring and not have to worry about throwing into the low post so much to start the game?

Like that after the Rondo trade he coasted up until we dealt him. Like that with all his talent he's at 40% FG(with Mem). Like that he has asked out of the starting lineup like the beta that he is.

So it's beta if you sacrifice if you think it'll make the team better?

Sounds to me like he wanted it more for himself. This wasn't the coaches idea.
Joerger:
“It can be relieving mentally for him. It's a little harder for me. I had the rotation kind of nice in a coach's mind. I could start him at small forward, take him out and bring him back at power forward. It was a nice little dance. It's going to take me a little while to figure out some things on this deal.”

Green:
“The flow was there,” Green said after the Dallas win. “I'm going to end up playing with those guys in the starting unit anyway. But it's good for myself because now I can be more aggressive. I don't have to worry about getting Marc and Zach involved. By the time I get in they've already been involved. It's on me to just go in be aggressive and try to score."

Green admitted he was pressing.

“I did,” Green said. “When you have those All Stars on the team, you want to get them the ball. Now, I don't have to think about it. I can just do what I do and try to score.”

Doesn't sound quite as selfless as you want to portray it. Sounds like he felt stifled being in the starting 5. It sounds like he's saying he feels he can get his offense more effectively coming off the bench. He asked the coach to cater the sub patterns to his(Green's) preferences, specifically removing him from the starting unit. Yes, beta. Uncommon request for a player of his caliber.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 12:13:49 AM by Nerf DPOY »

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 12:40:30 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
But still it gave Marc and Zach more shots and Green can give the bench a scoring punch. Something that was lacking from the Grizzlies. It was a good decision from Green's part and It may make the Grizzilies even better going forward.

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 02:02:27 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
i seem to recall in the Bad Boys 30 for 30 that Aguire asked to be taken out of the starting lineup for Rodman because he thought it was what the team needing to win, and guess what he was right.

Yes, although I'm sure that, like this, is a little bit more invested in personal glory than it's often portrayed. Good relationship though, this does feel similar.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 11:53:15 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Read all the posts after mine and still don't think this was some altruistic move on Green's part. That's a good starting lineup when healthy without him. Why not come off the bench if you could be a starter and face lesser competition?
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 12:24:41 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
He really seems to be on a mission to prove true all of the cliche labels he's been branded with since entering the league.

Like that he's trying to be more aggressive scoring and not have to worry about throwing into the low post so much to start the game?

Like that after the Rondo trade he coasted up until we dealt him. Like that with all his talent he's at 40% FG(with Mem). Like that he has asked out of the starting lineup like the beta that he is.

Nice beta insult.

Sorry Jeff isn't the player you think he should be.  He isn't an All Star and he knows he isn't as good as ZBo or Gasol.  What a tragedy!  You have no business in the league if you're not like Dion Waiters and think you're the best player on the court at all times.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford