Author Topic: Jeff Green asks to be taken out of Grizzlies starting lineup  (Read 4824 times)

Re: Jeff Green asks to be taken out of Grizzlies starting lineup
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 06:07:22 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
He really seems to be on a mission to prove true all of the cliche labels he's been branded with since entering the league.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 06:10:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Well honestly he played his best ball with us when he came off of the bench behind Pierce. Though, this won't look good for him if he's trying to get paid this summer.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 06:31:44 PM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I didn't read too much into this when I saw it.

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't he only placed into the starting lineup when TA was injured? I'm assuming he subsequently stayed in the starting lineup for the majority of games because Memphis was resting players.

As always though, it doesn't matter who starts the game. Only matters who finishes it. It doesn't seem Manu has ever been nickle and dimed just because he comes off the bench. Any "cheaper" contract he takes is his own sacrifice.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 06:35:56 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I don't know, I think the move makes sense. Glad he was bold enough to ask for it. If it works out then the Grizzlies are really really ridiculously good looking.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 07:47:04 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
It's a good move, the Grizz have plenty of scoring in the starting line up, this will help the bench out a lot, and he will score a bunch of points against the other teams second unit, which numbers wise will look good for a new contract., which most likely will be with the Grizz.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 08:51:55 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
He really seems to be on a mission to prove true all of the cliche labels he's been branded with since entering the league.

Like that he's trying to be more aggressive scoring and not have to worry about throwing into the low post so much to start the game?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 09:05:51 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

It's odd to me that this is how his career has turned out. When he came out, he was perceived as a versatile, well-rounded player - good playmaker, decent defender at multiple positions, capable of scoring in different ways, good at letting the game flow dictate what he did, etc. At the time he was viewed as the perfect glue guy to play with stars (like Westbrook and Durant).

At this point the consensus view from people including him is that his best role is as an inefficient chucker who does little else on the floor.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 09:09:40 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Does Jeff need a nap?

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 09:11:28 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff

Like that he's trying to be more aggressive scoring and not have to worry about throwing into the low post so much to start the game?

Like that after the Rondo trade he coasted up until we dealt him. Like that with all his talent he's at 40% FG(with Mem). Like that he has asked out of the starting lineup like the beta that he is.

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 10:04:17 PM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
He has 19 w/ 7 assists with time left in this game against Portland. Bench is doing wonders for him.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 10:22:14 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

What kind of labels are you talking about?  I'm not aware of any other than "inconsistent."

And I'm pretty sure the ship sailed a longggg time ago when it comes to proving that label false.

Tony Allen is simply the type of guy who deserves to start.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 10:52:02 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
i seem to recall in the Bad Boys 30 for 30 that Aguire asked to be taken out of the starting lineup for Rodman because he thought it was what the team needing to win, and guess what he was right.

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 11:25:14 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff

What kind of labels are you talking about?  I'm not aware of any other than "inconsistent."

And I'm pretty sure the ship sailed a longggg time ago when it comes to proving that label false.

Tony Allen is simply the type of guy who deserves to start.

I guess it goes hand in hand with the inconsistency, but he seemed to play hard infrequently. I mean, what does it tell you that Ainge pushed for a clause in his contract involving how many rebounds he grabbed? That signals to me that he also questioned Green's effort and intensity. I don't like how he seemed to go into a funk and mentally check out after the Rondo trade. I guess another label I'd say was put on him was the production not matching the ability. He seemed to have all the tools of an all star, but was generally too passive. We'll see how this bench thing plays out. His shot was falling from 3 tonight, and 9 rebounds was uncharacteristic for him( he had no assists, not 9 like someone said). That he had 23 and 9 is about as surprising as him being invisible next game.

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 11:42:51 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Like that after the Rondo trade he coasted up until we dealt him. Like that with all his talent he's at 40% FG(with Mem). Like that he has asked out of the starting lineup like the beta that he is.

So it's beta if you sacrifice if you think it'll make the team better?