Author Topic: Steve Nash retires  (Read 2651 times)

Steve Nash retires
« on: March 21, 2015, 05:14:58 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2066735-steve-nash-retires-latest-details-comments-and-reaction

Steve Nash retires. Hats off to this man. Two time MVP that didn´t win a ring, but he will be remembered as one of the greats.

Re: Steve Nash retires
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 05:17:43 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
One of the greatest PGs of all time.

I wish him well.

Loved those PHX teams...Nash, Amare and The Matrix. Those were fun to watch.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 05:33:03 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
Loved those PHX teams...Nash, Amare and The Matrix. Those were fun to watch.

They were entertaining for sure, but when that team was dismantled though.. All of them fell off, coach included.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 06:33:43 PM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
About time. I just can't look past his time on the Lakers or his plain admission that he kept his contract going just for the money. I don't blame his decision but I'd rather he be like many other athletes and just lie about his intentions, as screwed up as that sounds.

Look, I don't want to turn this into some Nash debate but I'll personally never be able to really enjoy him as a retired player knowing how he spent his last couple years.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 07:00:17 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
no disrespect to the man, he had a great career, but I still cant wrap my head around him being a 2-time league mvp.
Greg

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 07:05:50 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
About time. I just can't look past his time on the Lakers or his plain admission that he kept his contract going just for the money. I don't blame his decision but I'd rather he be like many other athletes and just lie about his intentions, as screwed up as that sounds.

Look, I don't want to turn this into some Nash debate but I'll personally never be able to really enjoy him as a retired player knowing how he spent his last couple years.

Just for the money? He kept his contract going just for the money? He made around 100 million dollars with his NBA-contracts alone. He wanted that ring, just like Karl Malone (the only other two time MVP to never win a ring). They didn´t win.. Bad luck. To say that Nash was in it for the money with the Lakers is just stupid.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 07:15:55 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Just for the money? He kept his contract going just for the money? He made around 100 million dollars with his NBA-contracts alone. He wanted that ring, just like Karl Malone (the only other two time MVP to never win a ring). They didn´t win.. Bad luck. To say that Nash was in it for the money with the Lakers is just stupid.

His own words:

I’m not going to retire because I want the money. It’s honest. We want honest athletes, but at the same time, you’re going to have people out there saying ‘He’s so greedy. He’s made x amount of money and he has to take this last little bit.’ Yes, I do, have to take that last little bit. I’m sorry if that is frustrating to some but if they were in my shoes they would do exactly the same thing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1992494-steve-nash-says-he-wont-retire-because-he-wants-the-money

Now, this may make for an interesting wrinkle in the argument over the Larry Sanders buyout from a month back or so. Nash did try and return and his body betrayed him, where as it's hard to separate Sanders' internal struggles from simply choosing to not play and collect money for it anyway. No one can really say for sure, I guess.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:21:59 PM by Nerf DPOY »

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 07:30:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Every athlete is in it for the money. It doesn't make for good shoe commercials, but come on.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 07:32:39 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum

His own words:

I’m not going to retire because I want the money. It’s honest. We want honest athletes, but at the same time, you’re going to have people out there saying ‘He’s so greedy. He’s made x amount of money and he has to take this last little bit.’ Yes, I do, have to take that last little bit. I’m sorry if that is frustrating to some but if they were in my shoes they would do exactly the same thing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1992494-steve-nash-says-he-wont-retire-because-he-wants-the-money

Now, this may make for an interesting wrinkle in the argument over the Larry Sanders buyout from a month back or so. Nash did try and return and his body betrayed him, where as it's hard to separate Sanders' internal struggles from simply choosing to not play and collect money for it anyway. No one can really say for sure, I guess.

Ok, I´ll admit it. Steve Nash wanted to make his money, I was wrong with my arguments.

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 07:33:55 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

His own words:

Ok, I´ll admit it. Steve Nash wanted to make his money, I was wrong with my arguments.

Haha I know the feeling, and Nash is right I probably would take the money. ;D

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 09:47:42 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

I can enjoy the fact that he made money off the Lakers and gave them nothing. Actually I'd like to thank him for that.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 10:26:47 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Hats off to this man for his past accomplishments.

Glad he just sat in the Lakers bench collecting his paycheck throughout his tenure there.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 11:57:36 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18

His own words:

Lol, thanks.

I don't get enjoyment from calling out players. I've been following the Nash story line ever since he became a Laker. I only made my statements because I saw him sit in front of a camera and admit that he wanted to collect every cent possible...okay paraphrasing here but you get the picture.

Listen, can't hate the guy for doing what many of us would. But he makes it sound like he hadn't made a cent in his earlier career and he absolutely needed this money to survive. It's his choice to live the lifestyle he does and spend money the way he does, he has never "had to".

And I guess I understand other poster's comments about being happy that he took money away from the Lakers but I guess I would care more if they were relevant and they haven't been for a very long time.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 12:22:07 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Nash's one Suns team was robbed of a shot at a title, thanks to the NBA being completely robotic about its rules. Not saying they would have won (or even beaten the Spurs), but yeah, they were wronged. Happy trails to Nash, one of the all-time great PGs. Yes, he was a little overrated (and definitely didn't deserve at least one, if not both, of his MVPs), but he was a great one, and also used his fame to speak out on serious issues. Lastly, he hurt the Lakers with that contract, which is always a plus to us! If you're going to get injured with a big contract, have it happen on the Lakers' payroll! Haha.

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 01:37:22 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
RE: Steve Nash Retires

LOL...This thread should have been posted at the end of the 2011-2012 season...When los Nash decided that showing up was optional.

Good riddance.