Author Topic: Zach Lowe: Cap could jump from $90 million in 16-17 to $105 million in 17-18  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The cap could jump from $90 million in 2016-17 to as much as $105 million the year after, per league sources.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/we-need-to-talk-about-kevin-on-life-without-durant-for-the-oklahoma-city-thunder/

The article was purely about Durant's uncertain future with OKC, but the cap comment was interesting.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Owners better raise cap next year to 75 million with no provisions beyond 2017 or FA is going to be messy this off season with everyone wanting opt outs.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If anything, this should help the competitiveness of the NBA - since each player will have the opportunity to make much more in basketball than football, baseball, etc, every young athlete will most likely make basketball his first choice...of course, height will also have to play a role in all of this, but I suppose you could have a bunch of Marcus Smarts (someone who could have probably chosen football).

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If anything, this should help the competitiveness of the NBA - since each player will have the opportunity to make much more in basketball than football, baseball, etc, every young athlete will most likely make basketball his first choice...of course, height will also have to play a role in all of this, but I suppose you could have a bunch of Marcus Smarts (someone who could have probably chosen football).
Young athletes do that already from what I have seen with the exception of the big football states such as Florida, Texas and the likes.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Jonathan Givony at DraftExpress is reporting the following:

Jonathan Givony ?@DraftExpress

New salary cap projections sent out to NBA teams: 2015-16: 67.1 million, tax 81.6, 2016-17: 89 million, tax 108. 2017-18: 108, 127 tax

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/589169246455869440

Looks like those estimates by Zach Lowe were spot-on.

And, yes, you're reading that right: a salary cap of $108 million in 2017-18.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm curious what the salary floor is going to be. I would be shocked if more than 1/4 of the teams are close to the cap
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Jonathan Givony at DraftExpress is reporting the following:

Jonathan Givony ?@DraftExpress

New salary cap projections sent out to NBA teams: 2015-16: 67.1 million, tax 81.6, 2016-17: 89 million, tax 108. 2017-18: 108, 127 tax

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/589169246455869440

Looks like those estimates by Zach Lowe were spot-on.

And, yes, you're reading that right: a salary cap of $108 million in 2017-18.

And Isaiah Thomas will be making a whopping $6.2 mil that year....Steal of the Century...
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
That's why it's imperative to strike this summer, while the contracts are under the lower CBA and before all teams have cap space.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Move Wallace and Turner, sign Crowder, Draymond Green, Danny Green and Greg Monroe... all guys who had be had outright for the right offer (forget about Kawhi, Love or Butler unless something happens).

Imagine this lineup with another year under CBS? That team runs 14 deep, would win a lot of games, and would be able to shed 3-4 players in another big move.

Thomas / Tyus Jones (#28 + move up a few spots)
Smart / Bradley
Danny Green / Jae Crowder
Draymond Green / Jared Sullinger
Greg Monroe / Tyler Zeller

Deep Bench: Olynyk, Young, Datome, Jacob Poetl (#16)

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I'm curious what the salary floor is going to be. I would be shocked if more than 1/4 of the teams are close to the cap
Minimum team salary is 90% of the salary cap.   

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Is this setting us up for an insane offseason where someone like Bismack Biyombo gets 5 years/60 million just because teams with cap space want to use it while they have an advantage?

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
That's why it's imperative to strike this summer, while the contracts are under the lower CBA and before all teams have cap space.
I agree but there has to be some player of value to go after.  Most of those with player options will opt in.  Top free agents may end up re-signing on 2 year deals with a player option after the 1st year.  This year's free agency will probably end up being rather uneventful.  It will be interesting to see what the Lakers and Knicks do.     

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Is this setting us up for an insane offseason where someone like Bismack Biyombo gets 5 years/60 million just because teams with cap space want to use it while they have an advantage?
Zach Lowe said in a previous article that people around the league don't think Charlotte will pick up his qualifying offer, so I don't think he will get that big of an offer but your general idea about huge contracts is correct imo.

I think you will see a lot of players that don't deserve it get max contracts, and a lot of teams holding onto all their free agents.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
This higher cap probably makes it easier for the Nets to field a more competitive team...
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

It's more likely you'll see some really bizarre 1 year/1 year + team option high-dollar deals.  Kinda like Jordan Hill getting 9 million per, or the Bogans contract.