Author Topic: Bill Simmons' Podcast (Bill Don't Lie) w/ Ryen Russillo  (Read 16809 times)

Re: Bill Simmons' Podcast (Bill Don't Lie) w/ Ryen Russillo
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 02:51:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think a team featuring Love and Turner would test my resolve as a fan in ways I haven't had to resort to in quite some time.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 02:59:47 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
I think a team featuring Love and Turner would test my resolve as a fan in ways I haven't had to resort to in quite some time.

I understand the Turner worries, because his style of play sometimes is rage-inducing. But why Love, too? His defense? I can understand the defensive criticisms of Love, but we put up with KO and Sully's horrible defense for several seasons now. Love would probably put up twice the offensive numbers that Sully and/or KO do, so I'd rather have his lack of defense and his much greater offense than Sully and KO's similar defensive ability and lackluster offense.

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 03:01:32 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Yeah, I hope Simmons is just having fun with this whole Love thing.

Love is notorious brand-conscious. If he decides being #3 in Cleveland isn't his best move, it's an absolute lock that he teams up with Rondo in LA-- joining the Cs won't be as good for his career or endorsements as catching Rondo passes and scoring 30 in front of Jack Nicholson every night.
I don't think it's a lock they sign both because they don't have the cap space to sign both unless Rondo is taking less than $8 MM a year

They could waive Kobe and use the stretch provision to free up $16M... <ducks>

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 03:07:36 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I understand the Turner worries, because his style of play sometimes is rage-inducing. But why Love, too? His defense? I can understand the defensive criticisms of Love, but we put up with KO and Sully's horrible defense for several seasons now. Love would probably put up twice the offensive numbers that Sully and/or KO do, so I'd rather have his lack of defense and his much greater offense than Sully and KO's similar defensive ability and lackluster offense.

Love, to me, is one of those players that is tremendous at getting his numbers when he's the best player on the team -- the problem is that if he's the best player on the team, the team is likely going to be awful. Turner's mostly the same way.

Factoring in the cost of having to pay him the sort of money he'll be looking for, and coupling that with a personal belief that scoring is the most easily replicated facet of a basketball player, sprinkled atop the subjective fact that as a public figure he annoys me, and I'm not super stoked on seeing him with the Celtics. His 30/30 game was tremendous, but Mo Williams dropped 50+ this year, too.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 03:10:21 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Yeah, I hope Simmons is just having fun with this whole Love thing.

Love is notorious brand-conscious. If he decides being #3 in Cleveland isn't his best move, it's an absolute lock that he teams up with Rondo in LA-- joining the Cs won't be as good for his career or endorsements as catching Rondo passes and scoring 30 in front of Jack Nicholson every night.
I don't think it's a lock they sign both because they don't have the cap space to sign both unless Rondo is taking less than $8 MM a year

Furthermore, it would definitely be better for his endorsements, but how in the world would it be better for his career? Western Conference, Virtually 0 Assets, Aging/Overpaid Kobe, Mediocre Coach, etc. I think his career would be better served coming here in terms of chances of winning (better roster, assets, ownership, coach, and conference).

And I'm not so sure that Love stays in Cleveland, especially if he wants the BIG raise in 2016. Pretty much everyone assumes he'll either opt in to his final year or take a one year deal elsewhere in order to hit the big money in 2016. If this year has shown him anything, it's that he'll never look like a max money player in Cleveland as the third option behind Lebron and Irving. This doesn't mean he's coming to the C's, but I really wouldn't be surprised at all if Love tests free agency for another team willing to give him a one year deal where he can be "the man" and have a fairly decent chance of winning now or in the near future. That's why I think it's extremely important for us to make the playoffs and put up a decent fight to try and persuade him that he can be "the man" here and have a good shot at winning with another star.

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 03:12:44 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Love, to me, is one of those players that is tremendous at getting his numbers when he's the best player on the team -- the problem is that if he's the best player on the team, the team is likely going to be awful. Turner's mostly the same way.

Factoring in the cost of having to pay him the sort of money he'll be looking for, and coupling that with a personal belief that scoring is the most easily replicated facet of a basketball player, sprinkled atop the subjective fact that as a public figure he annoys me, and I'm not super stoked on seeing him with the Celtics. His 30/30 game was tremendous, but Mo Williams dropped 50+ this year, too.

Gotcha. Honestly, there's no real evidence to back up that he's not just a bad team/big numbers guy. I don't necessarily subscirbe to that theory, but I do think he has to have a specific set of talent around him for him to be a 1A or 1B type of player. It's similar to, dare I say it... Rondo's skill set ( or lack of particular skills, that is).

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 03:16:54 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't think Love is likely to sign here, but if he wants to I have no idea how you could pass him up.

Danny has always about collecting assets. Signing Love without having to give up an asset would be a huge move for the C's. Regardless of how you feel about him personally I don't think it's a stretch to say he would immediately become the best asset (and player) on the team.

He is a scorer plain and simple, this team desperately needs scoring. I think if you add him and other players develop the C's could win the Atlantic and still keep all of their future assets. What isn't to like?

Who would be a better use of the cap space than Love AND could likely sign here?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 03:20:51 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Unneccessary discution. We actually have a great team with great coach. I am sure Ainge will push things to sign some big names, but primary to keep most of this team together. They are all young an talented. They play together how much? 2 months at most?! And they're in a playoffs hunt. Think what would have been if Stevens had them from October last year. Big names comin or not, we need to keep this team and coach.  A lots of teams would sign to be in our situation. We are underestimating what we have now.

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 03:26:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Gotcha. Honestly, there's no real evidence to back up that he's not just a bad team/big numbers guy. I don't necessarily subscirbe to that theory, but I do think he has to have a specific set of talent around him for him to be a 1A or 1B type of player. It's similar to, dare I say it... Rondo's skill set ( or lack of particular skills, that is).

Agreed -- I think a Rondo/Love pairing could've gone well (presuming Rondo could return to form) for us had they started the season here, but we've already seen how Kevin Love and assorted other meh players works out in Minny.

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 06:18:29 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
"How do you have a gambling problem and still have all this money?"  Russillo to Simmons

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 06:44:41 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Amazing isn't it? Love gets criticized for his D yet Olynyk for whatever reason is adored by many.

Don't get it.

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 06:57:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He's right in that our team is winning games despite being filled entirely with 7th-11th men.  It's a team full of role players.  Credit to Stevens for getting something out of that group.  Should be interesting what Stevens can do if we ever get him a legit star or two.

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 07:12:23 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
He's right in that our team is winning games despite being filled entirely with 7th-11th men.  It's a team full of role players.  Credit to Stevens for getting something out of that group.  Should be interesting what Stevens can do if we ever get him a legit star or two.

Yeah getting some stars to buy in and we could be in great shape

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 08:12:51 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Kevin Love is quickly becoming underrated. Yes, he's average defensively. He's also capable of putting up an efficient 26-13-5 when you run the offense through him, giving you elite rebounding AND scoring. Last year he averaged 7x3PA and 8xFTA (37% and 82%).

I suppose we wouldn't want James Harden either?

Add Love to this team and we're top-10 offensively. With Smart, Bradley and a defensive-minded center (and hopefully a long-term plus defender at SF), we could still be top-10 defensively as well. The combination of the two is contender territory.

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 08:14:05 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
If Danny pulls off the improbable and signs Love, I'd sure like to see Ainge trade up for Will Cauley-Stein.  It seems Love and WCS's strengths and weaknesses almost perfectly offset which could make them a very good pairing.  I wonder how many spots we could move up in the draft if we paired Sully with the 15th pick.  Of course we have other picks we could use to move up as well.