Author Topic: Bill Simmons' Podcast (Bill Don't Lie) w/ Ryen Russillo  (Read 16807 times)

Bill Simmons' Podcast (Bill Don't Lie) w/ Ryen Russillo
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:18:43 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Good podcast. A lot of Celtics talk, which included thoughts on Stevens, playoff chances, roster makeup, and upcoming free agency where Simmons said they'll go hard after Love.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bill-dont-lie-podcast-bill-simmons-and-ryen-russillo/

ESPN’s Ryen Russillo sits down with Bill Simmons to talk about the Boston Celtics’ playoff run, the drama in Cleveland, and who will be in the NBA Finals.

Re: Bill Simmons' Podcast (Bill Don't Lie) w/ Ryen Russillo
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 11:35:15 AM »

Offline kevingamble83

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
"Stevens is a Jedi".....Yoda hopefully he will be  8)

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 12:29:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Good podcast. A lot of Celtics talk, which included thoughts on Stevens, playoff chances, roster makeup, and upcoming free agency where Simmons said they'll go hard after Love.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bill-dont-lie-podcast-bill-simmons-and-ryen-russillo/

ESPN?€™s Ryen Russillo sits down with Bill Simmons to talk about the Boston Celtics?€™ playoff run, the drama in Cleveland, and who will be in the NBA Finals.

can't listen to it at work -- any chance of a recap of the highpoints?

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 12:30:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Simmons is really pushing this Love thing. I won't believe that he is interested in coming here until it actually happens, because I don't think it's likely. It would sure be great though.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I'm extremely worried about Love coming here. I know we're not a "real contender" and I know in order to become such you sometimes have to deal away the fan favorites and blah blah blah, gotta choose between liking players or liking a team but I just want no part of Love. I'm being too much of a prisoner of the moment I guess but at the same time I've never seen him in the playoffs and I've rarely seen him engaged this year with CLE.

Maybe I'm holding onto how much fun this team is right now...of course it's because they're winning, but still.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 12:36:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Simmons is really pushing this Love thing. I won't believe that he is interested in coming here until it actually happens, because I don't think it's likely. It would sure be great though.
I think he's right though. The C's are going to make the full court press on the big FAs, even if they're rather unlikely to succeed.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I think he's right though. The C's are going to make the full court press on the big FAs, even if they're rather unlikely to succeed.

Exactly right about the hard push for FA's.  This is one of the reasons I want the Celtics to make the playoffs.  It should be easier to show a FA a team that is making the playoffs, has a ton of assets to trade to bring in another star and/or quality players, and an opportunity to dominate in the weak East.  Not to mention a player-friendly Coach, etc.

I guess I've become so used to top Free Agents avoiding Boston all together, but I'm trying to be optimistic.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 01:55:24 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Exactly right about the hard push for FA's.  This is one of the reasons I want the Celtics to make the playoffs.  It should be easier to show a FA a team that is making the playoffs, has a ton of assets to trade to bring in another star and/or quality players, and an opportunity to dominate in the weak East.  Not to mention a player-friendly Coach, etc.

I guess I've become so used to top Free Agents avoiding Boston all together, but I'm trying to be optimistic.

Of course Boston will make the full-court press. Danny pitched LeBron to come to Boston, he'll try to pitch everyone.

I wish him luck, but there's plenty of other good situations for guys to join. We have tradition and all that, but taxes are a killer and we don't have any freaking stars to attract people. With Ray and KG, we already had PP here so we could make the case for a new "Big Three".

Love is our best shot, but leaving a team with LeBron and Kyrie? Not seeing it..

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 01:57:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
What an original title. Decidedly underused in the basketball blogging universe.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Yeah, I hope Simmons is just having fun with this whole Love thing.

Love is notorious brand-conscious. If he decides being #3 in Cleveland isn't his best move, it's an absolute lock that he teams up with Rondo in LA-- joining the Cs won't be as good for his career or endorsements as catching Rondo passes and scoring 30 in front of Jack Nicholson every night.

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 02:06:27 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
What an original title. Decidedly underused in the basketball blogging universe.

Well, he almost went with NBA holes.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 02:28:21 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 02:11:13 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Yeah, I hope Simmons is just having fun with this whole Love thing.

Love is notorious brand-conscious. If he decides being #3 in Cleveland isn't his best move, it's an absolute lock that he teams up with Rondo in LA-- joining the Cs won't be as good for his career or endorsements as catching Rondo passes and scoring 30 in front of Jack Nicholson every night.
I don't think it's a lock they sign both because they don't have the cap space to sign both unless Rondo is taking less than $8 MM a year
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 02:24:06 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Love is more of an issue of Cleveland leaving him than the other way around.  Love is underused in Cleveland and they can get a 3 pt shooting big that doesn't play defense for a lot less than what Love will want.  Meanwhile, Love can absolutely be a #1 option on offense, so why would he want to stay in a reduced role?  It makes sense for both sides for him to leave, but teams would obviously rather have a marketable star than a role player and a star would rather be on a team with LeBron than a team with no stars whatsoever. 

Dan Gilbert though is a cheap [expletives referring to him being shortsighted] who made all his money on predatory loans and is easily the weak link here.  If he gets cold feet about spending, then Love is out.  I don't know, I could see it going either way.  I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I could honestly see Love walking.  Now, whether he comes to Boston or not is a different story....

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Gilbert never shyed from spending the first time LeBron was with the Cavs, he won't now.

If Love leaves it will be his choice, not because Cleveland doesn't offer him the max.

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 02:42:51 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'm extremely worried about Love coming here. I know we're not a "real contender" and I know in order to become such you sometimes have to deal away the fan favorites and blah blah blah, gotta choose between liking players or liking a team but I just want no part of Love. I'm being too much of a prisoner of the moment I guess but at the same time I've never seen him in the playoffs and I've rarely seen him engaged this year with CLE.

Maybe I'm holding onto how much fun this team is right now...of course it's because they're winning, but still.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Having a talent like Love can only improve the team exponentially.