Author Topic: Can we steal Draymond Green with a max offer?  (Read 4494 times)

Can we steal Draymond Green with a max offer?
« on: March 15, 2015, 10:20:03 AM »

Offline celtsfanforlife

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Can or would GS match?  My dream off-season (realistic) is signing Green and trading up in the draft (perhaps using Sully) for WCS or simply getting Justise Winslow.  This team is an immediate threat in the East.

Thomas/Smart
AB/Turner
Crowder/Young
Green/Olynyk
WCS/Zellar

You could go small with Thomas, Bradley, Crowder, Olynyk, and Green.  All shooters.

Re: Can we steal Draymond Green with a max offer?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 10:23:11 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Golden State seems pretty ready to give Green the max.  They will either trade David Lee to avoid the luxury tax, or eat the luxury tax for a year if the cost of trading Lee is too expensive.

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm wary of Green being a one-year wonder, and I'm further wary of paying a very good role player like a superstar.

$16.5+ million (with around $19 million in the fourth year) for Green just seems like too much to me, regardless of the future cap going up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 10:48:16 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'm wary of Green being a one-year wonder, and I'm further wary of paying a very good role player like a superstar.

$16.5+ million (with around $19 million in the fourth year) for Green just seems like too much to me, regardless of the future cap going up.

I worry about him being best suited for the 4, which we're deep at. I also wonder how effective he'll be when instead of an afterthought for the D, he'll be the guy they'll key on. So gone will be all those wide open looks, his shooting from the top of the key is especially effective, and it'll be replaced by hard traps, doubles, and a lot more contested shots.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 10:54:10 AM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
Antawn Jamison 2.0 and he's not even doing as well as Antawn did by this point in his career. 

Could he explode and be like James Harden getting his own team?  I don't think he has that in him.  Danny knows borderline talent, he had Jeff Green here.  Maybe he'll put it together but Draymond isn't 19 or 20 either.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 11:05:28 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
In what world is Draymond Green "Antawn Jamison 2.0"? Since when did Antawn play defense?

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 11:13:43 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Can we steal him? Maybe.... do I want to? HECK NO!

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 11:19:30 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
He will be too expensive. I'd rather try to trade for Barnes, better fit with Brad's system.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 11:22:23 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Antawn Jamison 2.0 and he's not even doing as well as Antawn did by this point in his career. 

Could he explode and be like James Harden getting his own team?  I don't think he has that in him.  Danny knows borderline talent, he had Jeff Green here.  Maybe he'll put it together but Draymond isn't 19 or 20 either.

Jeff Green is about the most absurd comparison you can make for Draymond Green. JG has oodles of talent and atheticism, but just can't bring it consistently night in and night out.  Draymond Green has gotten where he is because he always leaves it on the court.  It's been like that since college, and it's why three years removed from being a second-round pick he's viewed as an indispensable starter on the best team in the NBA.  If you want to make a Celtics comparison, he's a bigger, more talented Jae Crowder -- and no offense to Crowder, but I'm not sure why he was picked one spot earlier.  But they both play with that same fearless drive

Here's what I said about Green a month before the draft -- while I'm surprised he's been largely a 4 in the NBA, I'm not at all surprised about his success.

What if he were called a 3/4?  Then would you like him?  In reality, that's likely to be his role.  A 3 who sometimes plays the 4 depending upon who's on the floor.  The kid has everything else you could want -- passing skills, shooting, rebounding, defense, great work ethic, and that leadership rare enough that you don't find it in every draft.  As a Michigan fan, I hated him in college, but he'll be a great pro with a long career.

Now would I prefer it if DA were able to trade down 5 spots to pick him up?  Absolutely.  But he will make some team very happy for the next decade, and I hope it's us.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 11:32:50 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Well .....not sure steal ....is the word .....he ll be mega bucks .

But ....GS ...surely is pushing the limits on max contracts they can support .

If I were DA ...Green iis one of the few guys I d try and lure away with a max deal.

Gasol and Green would be an awesome pair with Smart and IT.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 11:44:43 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Plenty of guys are going to be worth an old salary cap max deal under the new salary cap.  The question for a guy like Draymond is that to get him away from GS, you'll have to offer him a current max deal with a player option so he can opt out after a year or two and sign an even bigger deal under a much higher cap.

Honestly, it might be smarter to take David Lee off their hands for some of our excess 2nd round picks.

Mike

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 11:52:31 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Antawn Jamison has never played defense at the level Green does.  Green can guard 3's well in addition to 4's.  He was playing center against us when they came back too (in a small lineup).
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 11:55:59 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
We can't.

The Warriors will match any offer Draymond gets, and that includes the max.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 12:07:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Honestly, it might be smarter to take David Lee off their hands for some of our excess 2nd round picks.

Picks would be going the other way in any Lee deal.

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 12:09:53 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Absolutely not, the Warriors will match any and all offers as other have stated.  If the Celtics wanted to wait a year in free agency and pursue multiple max contracts in 2016 they could acquire David Lee for next to nothing. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby