Author Topic: Summer Prediction: Cs sign Biyombo to two year, approx $12mil deal  (Read 45930 times)

Re: Summer Prediction: Cs sign Biyombo to two year, approx $12mil deal
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2015, 08:14:25 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Below avg iq.

Hornets head coach Steve Clifford praised Biyombo in January, speaking to ProBasketballTalk’s Dan Feldman: “He’s very bright. The reason why his plus-minus is so good is he does what we do. He knows what’s supposed to happen, and he actually helps other guys play, too.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2487399-bismack-biyombo-is-the-most-underrated-free-agent-for-celtics-this-offseason

Ok. But this signing should be worse case scenerio imo.

agreed
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2015, 08:36:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Below avg iq.

Hornets head coach Steve Clifford praised Biyombo in January, speaking to ProBasketballTalk’s Dan Feldman: “He’s very bright. The reason why his plus-minus is so good is he does what we do. He knows what’s supposed to happen, and he actually helps other guys play, too.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2487399-bismack-biyombo-is-the-most-underrated-free-agent-for-celtics-this-offseason

agreed
I'd be happy to get someone better.  I'm prepared to get nothing.   No guarantee we could even get Biyombo.

What happens if we strike out on all the top tier free agents AND Biyombo? 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:42:51 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2015, 08:51:29 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
Below avg iq.

agreed
I'd be happy to get someone better.  I'm prepared to get nothing.   No guarantee we could even get Biyombo.

I think that BB will wait if the Celts told his agent they might have a 4/$40 offer coming his way, he is restricted anyway and could just return to Charlotte on a one year deal to hit it big next offseason if he improves this next season. 

Do you see a lot of demand for him at that price?  I think that is what the OP is saying, that he has it on good authority they will sign him if they miss out on others, so a wink wink deal. 

Im not opposed to BB, but do you think 4/$40 is a good deal based on his skill level or because he is a restricted free agent and we have to give an offer Charlotte won't match?

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2015, 08:56:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Below avg iq.

agreed

I think that BB will wait if the Celts told his agent they might have a 4/$40 offer coming his way, he is restricted anyway and could just return to Charlotte on a one year deal to hit it big next offseason if he improves this next season. 

Do you see a lot of demand for him at that price?  I think that is what the OP is saying, that he has it on good authority they will sign him if they miss out on others, so a wink wink deal. 

Im not opposed to BB, but do you think 4/$40 is a good deal based on his skill level or because he is a restricted free agent and we have to give an offer Charlotte won't match?
At the very least, Biyombo has proven to be a really effective defensive big off the bench.  He's 22 and didn't play College ball so his transition was a little different.  If we're giving WCS a pass after he spent 3 years of college ball without much improvement, I'm willing to give Biyombo a pass after 4 years of back-up NBA basketball with minimal improvement. 

Normally I'd hate giving 4 years 40 mil to a risk like that.  I'm certainly more comfortable with 2 year/12 mil as ssspence predicted.  I was saying that you'd probably have to overpay to land him.  Hornets probably match 2 year/12 mil pretty quickly.  At the time of the original post in this thread (back in March), Biyombo was buried on the bench behind guys who minutes were a higher priority.  It seemed plausible that he could just fly under the radar entirely until the offseason and the Hornets would just let him walk.  After closing out the season proving to be an effective starter, I think stealing him for nothing is probably no longer on the table.  Changing salary situation makes a huge difference, though.  We could blow all 23 mil of our cap on Biyombo-esque talent and still have 30 mil in cap space next summer.... then blow all that and still have 20 mil in cap space the next summer after that.   Rolling the dice on a Biyombo is something you can afford to do in this rare situation. 

Everyone wants us to roll the dice on WCS (by giving up a ton of assets).   I still haven't seen someone present evidence for why WCS is a dramatically better prospect than Biyombo.

« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Below avg iq.

agreed

You draft one of mickey, holmes , christmas at the draft first.  To start adding guys that can provide rim protection

« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2015, 09:30:19 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
@LarBrd33  I agree with what you are saying, I am against moving up to draft WCS for the same reason that 4/$40 scares me for BB, their limited offense.  I gave you a TP because I agree with the comparison and think both have the same upside (defensive rim protector limited on offense). 

As I said though, I would give BB the 4/$40 if we miss out on others as its just money and as you pointed out the cap is rising significantly the next 2 off seasons ($40 million total). 

« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2015, 09:37:36 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I would definitely be on board to sign Biyombo for 12/2. I think he'd do well in this team and would help out our perimeter defenders a ton.

- LilRip

« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2015, 09:37:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Based on CBS's interviews the last few weeks discussing the celtics biggest needs, he consistently says we need 'scoring' and 'versatility'. Biyombo provides neither, and I would never see him fitting into CBS's system anyways.

« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2015, 09:43:22 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
I would definitely be on board to sign Biyombo for 12/2. I think he'd do well in this team and would help out our perimeter defenders a ton.

So would everyone

« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2015, 09:50:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Based on CBS's interviews the last few weeks discussing the celtics biggest needs, he consistently says we need 'scoring' and 'versatility'. Biyombo provides neither, and I would never see him fitting into CBS's system anyways.
Too lazy to find the quote you are referring to but I'm pretty sure he acknowledged that our obvious most pressing need was interior defense and that very few of those guys were available in the league. So he listed off some of the other things we need to improve to get out of mediocrity.

« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2015, 09:50:58 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Below avg iq.

agreed

A top ten destination with plenty of cap space won't be able to sign a single free agent of any degree of appeal?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2015, 09:54:34 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Below avg iq.

agreed

A top ten destination with plenty of cap space won't be able to sign a single free agent of any degree of appeal?

I'd rather sign nobody than waste our money on Biyombo. If in the unlikely scenario we don't get any of the guys we want, save the cap space for next year.

« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Too lazy to find the quote you are referring to but I'm pretty sure he acknowledged that our obvious most pressing need was interior defense and that very few of those guys were available in the league. So he listed off some of the other things we need to improve to get out of mediocrity.

There is nothing to indicate Stevens would want players with such limited skill sets in his system. He has shown us in his two seasons that he heavily favors versatile players, out there on the floor, and shooters. Biyombo would just not work in this system, or in most systems actually.

« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2015, 10:00:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Below avg iq.

agreed

I'd rather sign nobody than waste our money on Biyombo. If in the unlikely scenario we don't get any of the guys we want, save the cap space for next year.
I'd rather spend almost no money on Colton Iverson than any money on Biyombo. I'd rather have a 2nd rounder or possibly a college free agent. Here's a question. Biyombo for money or Ekpe Udoh for almost no money?

« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2015, 11:22:56 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
As HP points out, Biyombo may well have plateaued already.
How do you compare 21 year old WCS to 22 year old Biyombo?  They are a year apart in age.  I said in another thread... if your options are giving up Olynyk + #16 + #28 to trade up for WCS... or just sign Biyombo outright, which is a better gamble?

Forget about the assets it will take to trade up for a shot at WCS... Would you rather have WCS... who spent last season as a JUNIOR in College averaging 9 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.7 blocks in 26 minutes with 57% shooting (62% from the line)... or Biyombo, who spent 21 games last season as an NBA starter averaging 7 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.8 blocks with 55% shooting (63% from the line)

WCS. Rookie scale contract, plus RFA rights, means you can lock up a guy (if you don't poison the well) for nine years, with half of that time for pretty cheap.

And that's without considering that WCS has more upside than Biyombo.
upside:  Dude just spent 3 years on the College level showing minimal improvement.  Take his "upside" with a grain of salt.   He's 21 years old.  Biyombo is 22 and has spent the past 4 years on grossly mismanaged franchise. 

Favorable contract:  Who cares if it costs you #16 + #28 + Olynyk to trade up to get him (the price that keeps being mentioned).  I'd rather keep the assets for something else and sign Biyombo.  "favorable contracts" are overrated in this changing salary landscape.   Cap jumps 20 mil next year.  20 mil the year after. 

If we can agree that Biyombo and WCS are comparable players, I gladly pay Biyombo 10 mil over trading 3 assets for WCS. 

How confident are we that WCS (after 3 years of college ball) is a superior prospect to Biyombo?  Biyombo's stats as an NBA starter last year (in 21 games) were more impressive than WCS's stats in his 3rd year playing on the College level.

So, by your estimation WCS is half the player Biyombo is. Let's assume you're correct.

Wouldn't paying WCS a third of Biyombo's $10 million annual salary allow you to spend big on the market next year when that cap jumps?

Throwing money at mediocre players with limited upside is what the last Celtics FO with cap space did. How'd that work out?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague