Author Topic: Summer Prediction: Cs sign Biyombo to two year, approx $12mil deal  (Read 45926 times)

Re: Summer Prediction: Cs sign Biyombo to two year, approx $12mil deal
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2015, 07:01:01 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think I'd rather offer the four years, $40 million to Asik instead.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2015, 07:07:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Sure... but Asik was putting up Biyombo-esque numbers when buried on Chicago... and Asik is 29 years old.   Biyombo is 22.   I don't think Biyombo is done developing.  Asik is.  If you read sspence's original post, he suggest that Stevens might be able to shape Biyombo into a more complete player.   I think the Hornets are one of the most poorly managed/coached teams in the entire league... I wouldn't bet against Biyombo becoming a sneaky huge pick-up this summer.

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2015, 07:09:55 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
As HP points out, Biyombo may well have plateaued already.

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2015, 07:13:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
How do you compare 21 year old WCS to 22 year old Biyombo?  They are a year apart in age.  I said in another thread... if your options are giving up Olynyk + #16 + #28 to trade up for WCS... or just sign Biyombo outright, which is a better gamble?

Forget about the assets it will take to trade up for a shot at WCS... Would you rather have WCS... who spent last season as a JUNIOR in College averaging 9 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.7 blocks in 26 minutes with 57% shooting (62% from the line)... or Biyombo, who spent 21 games last season as an NBA starter averaging 7 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.8 blocks with 55% shooting (63% from the line)

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2015, 07:15:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Thought this was real for a sec. No thx.

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2015, 07:17:47 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
How do you compare 21 year old WCS to 22 year old Biyombo?  They are a year apart in age.  I said in another thread... if your options are giving up Olynyk + #16 + #28 to trade up for WCS... or just sign Biyombo outright, which is a better gamble?

4/$40 seems high, but I agree that will be the cost, I don't know how much better his offense will get but I do see him as a comp to WCS, TP.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2015, 07:19:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Below avg iq.

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2015, 07:20:37 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
nooooooooooooooooo and another noooooooooooooooooo....why does everyone always want this guy??????
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2015, 07:20:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

4/$40 seems high, but I agree that will be the cost, I don't know how much better his offense will get but I do see him as a comp to WCS, TP.
I don't blink at 4/$40 assuming Biyombo can do what he's done for the past few seasons... which is produce in the minutes he's given.  Whenever that guy gets minutes, he produces.  His offense isn't great, but we have plenty of proof that he can be an elite rebounder, shot blocker and top-tier defender.   And the entire premise of this thread was that ssspence has it on high authority that the Celtics will target Biyombo if we strike out with the big names.  Obviously, I'd prefer throwing all our money at Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge or Gasol... but if that doesn't happen, I'm totally fine with giving 40 mil to Biyombo.  Doesn't matter... cap jumps 20 mil next season and 20 mil the year after.   10 mil a year for a 22 year old defensive anchor is fine.

Changing salary cap alters the rules.  We need a rim protector.  Biyombo is a reasonable target.

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2015, 07:31:28 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
Below avg iq.

Hornets head coach Steve Clifford praised Biyombo in January, speaking to ProBasketballTalk’s Dan Feldman: “He’s very bright. The reason why his plus-minus is so good is he does what we do. He knows what’s supposed to happen, and he actually helps other guys play, too.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2487399-bismack-biyombo-is-the-most-underrated-free-agent-for-celtics-this-offseason

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2015, 07:40:20 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Forget about the assets it will take to trade up for a shot at WCS... Would you rather have WCS... who spent last season as a JUNIOR in College averaging 9 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.7 blocks in 26 minutes with 57% shooting (62% from the line)... or Biyombo, who spent 21 games last season as an NBA starter averaging 7 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.8 blocks with 55% shooting (63% from the line)

WCS. Rookie scale contract, plus RFA rights, means you can lock up a guy (if you don't poison the well) for nine years, with half of that time for pretty cheap.

And that's without considering that WCS has more upside than Biyombo.

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2015, 07:42:49 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

I don't blink at 4/$40 assuming Biyombo can do what he's done for the past few seasons... which is produce in the minutes he's given.  Whenever that guy gets minutes, he produces.  His offense isn't great, but we have plenty of proof that he can be an elite rebounder, shot blocker and top-tier defender.   And the entire premise of this thread was that ssspence has it on high authority that the Celtics will target Biyombo if we strike out with the big names.  Obviously, I'd prefer throwing all our money at Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge or Gasol... but if that doesn't happen, I'm totally fine with giving 40 mil to Biyombo.  Doesn't matter... cap jumps 20 mil next season and 20 mil the year after.   10 mil a year for a 22 year old defensive anchor is fine.

Changing salary cap alters the rules.  We need a rim protector.  Biyombo is a reasonable target.

Is that the price because he is a restricted free agent or because you think that is what he deserves?

If the Celts miss out on everyone else I would be fine with Biyombo as the original poster said and you reminded me.  I just think BB has shown that he is better in a limited role and there will be other options who have shown what they can do with a bigger role, who are safer, have a better offensive game, and will command around $10 million a year.

« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2015, 07:53:20 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
I don't see why people like Asik so much.  NO with Davis and Asik were a bottom 10 defensive team.  I'd rather keep starting Zeller.

« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2015, 07:54:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

WCS. Rookie scale contract, plus RFA rights, means you can lock up a guy (if you don't poison the well) for nine years, with half of that time for pretty cheap.

And that's without considering that WCS has more upside than Biyombo.
upside:  Dude just spent 3 years on the College level showing minimal improvement.  Take his "upside" with a grain of salt.   He's 21 years old.  Biyombo is 22 and has spent the past 4 years on grossly mismanaged franchise. 

Favorable contract:  Who cares if it costs you #16 + #28 + Olynyk to trade up to get him (the price that keeps being mentioned).  I'd rather keep the assets for something else and sign Biyombo.  "favorable contracts" are overrated in this changing salary landscape.   Cap jumps 20 mil next year.  20 mil the year after. 

If we can agree that Biyombo and WCS are comparable players, I gladly pay Biyombo 10 mil over trading 3 assets for WCS. 

How confident are we that WCS (after 3 years of college ball) is a superior prospect to Biyombo?  Biyombo's stats as an NBA starter last year (in 21 games) were more impressive than WCS's stats in his 3rd year playing on the College level. 

« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2015, 08:08:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Below avg iq.

Hornets head coach Steve Clifford praised Biyombo in January, speaking to ProBasketballTalk’s Dan Feldman: “He’s very bright. The reason why his plus-minus is so good is he does what we do. He knows what’s supposed to happen, and he actually helps other guys play, too.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2487399-bismack-biyombo-is-the-most-underrated-free-agent-for-celtics-this-offseason

Ok. But this signing should be worse case scenerio imo.