Author Topic: Summer Prediction: Cs sign Biyombo to two year, approx $12mil deal  (Read 45910 times)

Re: Summer Prediction: Cs sign Biyombo to two year, approx $12mil deal
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2015, 04:14:13 AM »

Offline n4nirvana

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Would Alexis Ajinca be an alternative?

He's probably in the same boat as Biyombo but bigger, has all the right physical assets but just slightly older

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2015, 09:02:11 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd rather save the money for players that can help.  Money should be spent on upgrades. He's not an upgrade of any kind.

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2015, 09:16:58 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I'd rather save the money for players that can help.  Money should be spent on upgrades. He's not an upgrade of any kind.

+1

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2015, 09:40:24 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

+1

That's all well and good to say that but there is probably a greater chance we miss out on a bigger name free agent than sign one.   There are more teams out there with cap space than there are of big name free agents.  My guess is most of the big free agents will stay with their respective teams due to the extra year of money with bird rights.

I'm totally fine with this type of move for now if this is the best we can do.  It would be like taking a chance on Turner last offseason.  We can build him up and flip him later as part of a bigger trade if you want.

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2015, 09:56:39 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Nothing personal, but when you disapprove of a move, that generally means it's a good one.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Not spectacular but he is top 10 rebounds per 48 and top 5 blocks per 48 at 22 years old.

That is very nice but who plays 48 minutes?  The NBA leader is playing what 38 MPG.  The top center plays 34 MPG.  He plays 17 MPG that is a far cry short of 48.

He is young, his body has improved more than his skillset.  I would advance that he has not improved much since his rookie year folks.  He shoots better but some of his other stats are down from them.  So they 22 things while true, he is young but he is not improving in leaps and bounds in some cases not even incrementally.

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/202687/career/

I have no problem adding him, I just want it to be team friendly in terms of cap and I have the above reservations.  He can rim protect, I don't expect him to blossom into an all star anytime soon.  And I will always be leery of any player Jordan drafts as I think he is a pitiful GM.

Nothing personal, but when you disapprove of a move, that generally means it's a good one.
  I don't think this is true at all, Eja has been right a lot of time and he is not afraid to go against the grain.  Adding nothing personal, then blantantly attacking someone still makes it personal to some degree.

Where or what is your source?   You claim to have one, please elaborate as much as you can.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:33:46 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2015, 10:27:45 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I would do this deal.  Biz is a good defender, good offensive rebounder, and by all accounts a high character guy.  I think he'd fit right in.  He shows some of the best rebounding, defending, and differential numbers on a CHA team that's pretty darn good on defense.  6M will be nothing when the dust settles on the tv deal.  However, we do have to figure out what we're going to do with Bass, Jerebko, and Crowder.

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2015, 10:51:14 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Yes. I suppose the other side of the coin is that Biyombo could greatly improve and become an all star under Stevens in his 5th year in the league. Perhaps the Smart to Biyombo connection would put us over the top and he would lead a defensive charge similar to what KG did. It could happen. Then after two years he'd likely resign with us. Sometimes I have a hard time seeing the bigger picture.

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2015, 01:20:04 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
As another alternative to a big name how about trading for Festus Ezeli?

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2015, 01:29:36 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I could co-sign for Ajinca. No future in NO with Davis there, PER of 21 this year, legitimate 7'2" anchor who works hard. 19/13/2 and a mid-range jumper (49% from outside 10 feet). Makes his free throws.

Locking him down for a few years on a reasonable deal could be another steal for a guy who contributes on both ends, and will have a huge size advantage every few nights.

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2015, 02:34:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Would Alexis Ajinca be an alternative?

He's probably in the same boat as Biyombo but bigger, has all the right physical assets but just slightly older

Like him better than Asik, Biyombo , Festus.

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2015, 02:44:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think with biyombo it's a classic case of role and minutes.  Like asik on Chicago except biyombo is 22 years old.  Some liken him to Ben Wallace on the Orlando Magic.  I'm pretty convinced that biyombo will end up somewhere that needs a rim protector/rebounder, he'll get 28+ minutes and suddenly average 10+ rebounds and 2-4 blocks. People will label him "surprisingly improved", but it will just be about his increased minutes.  He seems to produce in the minutes the hornets give him.  They had their best stretch this season with him starting for injured al Jefferson.   I said to keep an eye on him right now with Big Al injured again. Predictable he had a double-double in 20 minutes with a win over Chicago. 

Some team will eventually value his defensive potential and give him consistent minutes. 

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2015, 02:48:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The guy has been sorta a bad numbers on mediocre to bad teams kind of guy. He has nowhere to go but up.

He reminds me of those previews you see for movies where you think "It looks ok, but I'm not paying money to watch it. At some point it will be on TV or I'll see it on a long flight or my wife will get it from the library and then maybe I'll see it. Maybe."

The money you spend on Biyombo you can't spend on someone that can help you. I'm not even convinced he'd do well in Europe.

Clint Capela is averaging like 3 blocks a game in the dleague at age 19 on a rookie contract. That is infinitely better than 6 mill for this guy.

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2015, 03:15:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The guy has been sorta a bad numbers on mediocre to bad teams kind of guy. He has nowhere to go but up.

He's a good numbers in limited role/minutes on an average team kind of guy.

25 year old Ben Wallace on the Orlando Magic:  4.8 points, 8.2 rebounds, 1.6 blocks, 50% shooting in 24mpg. 
Per 36 - 7.2 points, 12.2 rebounds, 2.4 blocks, 1.3 steals. 

They went .500 and missed the playoffs.

Could you have predicted that 26 year old Ben Wallace would join Detroit the next season and immediately become a DPOY candidate who'd average 6.4 points, 13.2 rebounds, 2.3 blocks, 1.3 steals in 34.5mpg?   I mean... his per-minute production was roughly the same on both teams. 

25 year old Asik in Chicago.  3.1 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1 block, 50% shooting in 14.7mpg.   

Per 36 - 7.6 points, 13 rebounds, 2.5 blocks, 1.1 steals.     

Could you predict that Asik would be an impact rebounder/defender with more minutes?  Well, yes... you could.  In-fact, several experts pointed out Asik's potential.   Next season in Houston he gets the boost to 30mpg.  Puts up 10 points, 11.7 rebounds, 1.1 block.

So then look at Biyombo right now at 22 years old (3 years younger than Wallace in Orlando and Asik in Chicago):  4.6 points, 6 rebounds, 1.3 blocks with 57% shooting in 17.4mpg.   

Project it over 36mpg and you get 9.6 points, 12.4 rebounds, 2.8 blocks. 

Are you going to be wildly shocked if Biyombo lands somewhere, gets 28+ minutes and suddenly is averaging 10+ rebounds and 2+ blocks?  I'm not.

For comparison sake let's look at our own (25 year old) Tyler Zeller per 36 minutes:  16.5 points, 9.8 rebounds, 1.3 block.    Zeller is having a solid season.  Better scorer.  Probably not going to make the same impact defensively and on the boards, though.  And also, Zeller is 3 years older than Biyombo and has been playing basketball longer.

I dunno... I could be proven wrong about Biyombo, but he's someone I'd take a chance on.  Charlotte is holding onto a playoff seed right now.   Al Jefferson is obviously their star player and he unfortunately plays the same position as Biyombo.  They also have other big man prospects they've been trying to develop like Cody Zeller (last year's #4 pick).   

His best stretch came in January where he started a bundle of games for Al Jefferson.   They won 8 out of 9 when he was getting his biggest minutes.

His 14 games as a starter this season:   7 points, 8.3 rebounds, 1.5 blocks, 55% shooting in 24mpg
Let's look at 25yo Ben Wallace again:   4.8 points, 8.2 rebounds, 1.6 blocks, 50% shooting in 24mpg. 

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2015, 03:27:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Biyombo was drafted like 7th and given every opportunity. He wasn't buried on a bench, and if he was it was because he was terrible. He was so terrible they drafted Zeller and signed Al J for big money.

I just can't buy the whole late bloomer thing here at all.