Author Topic: Summer Prediction: Cs sign Biyombo to two year, approx $12mil deal  (Read 45932 times)

Re: Summer Prediction: Cs sign Biyombo to two year, approx $12mil deal
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 11:47:21 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Correct -- $6M per. That number is more of a spitball (and prob too low), the two year part seemed more established. Point is they're open to a decent, yet relatively short investment.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is a 6-9 Center that makes him a tweener or a tad low in my book.   He can't spread the floor nor does he have much post game to speak of, solid effort guy though so Stevens may love him.

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 12:36:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Seems like a lot of money for a backup center.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 12:59:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Co-sign.  I'm still intrigued by biyombo.  Only 22 and still improving.  He can defend and rebound.  He performs in the minutes he gets.  Keep an eye on him to see what he does with big al and Cody zeller injured this week.  Last time he filled in for center they had their best run all season.

Also it's brought up every time someone mentions biyombo, but his lack of height is negated by insane length. 7'7 wingspan.  9'3 standing reach.

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 01:18:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Also it's brought up every time someone mentions biyombo, but his lack of height is negated by insane length. 7'7 wingspan.  9'3 standing reach.

I was actually going to just mention that before I saw your post. So I'll just add a pic. I think the best way to get a good indication of a player's size is to combine a players height and wingspan (as standing reach is often manipulated to increase his vertical).

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 01:22:22 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
What's the point of a two year deal? By time we develop him, he will be a free agent again.

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 01:31:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Joel Anthony has similar height, wingspan, and standing reach, which is why I like him as a comparison for Biyombo.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
  Then why has he not dominated????  Thus far total success has been elusive for him though he shows talent in some areas.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6427/bismack-biyombo

He can block shots at 1.5 BPG in 20 minutes but 4 PPG and 6 RPG is not that spectacular.  If we got him would he be a bench guy because stat wise that is what your looking at.

At the end of a game, a tall guy will still be tall whereas an athlete can get tired.  It is best to have both in a player, I think.

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 03:09:49 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  Then why has he not dominated????  Thus far total success has been elusive for him though he shows talent in some areas.

Throughout history just how many big men, from ages 19-22, have "dominated" the league? Like you also said, "he shows talent in some areas", so it's all about forward thinking and trying to forecast his development during the life of the contract.

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 03:16:46 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Joel Anthony has similar height, wingspan, and standing reach, which is why I like him as a comparison for Biyombo.

I'm not sure what Anthony's measurements are. However, Dwight Howard looks like a comparable.

Height w/shoes
Howard 6' 10.25"
Biyombo 6' 9.5"

Weight
Howard 240 (now 265)
Biyombo 245 (now ?)

Wingspan
Howard 7' 4.5"
Biyombo 7' 6.16"

Standing Reach
Howard 9' 3.5"
Biyombo  9' 3.42"

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 03:17:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Throughout history just how many big men, from ages 19-22, have "dominated" the league? Like you also said, "he shows talent in some areas", so it's all about forward thinking and trying to forecast his development during the life of the contract.
few outside of the big name centers that came out in the 80's and 90's - who were closer to 22 than 19. 

having said that, there's a number of guys who've come into the league and looked much better than Biyombo when they were 19-22.

still don't see the fascination for this kid.  blocks shots.  swell.  doesn't rebound particularly well.  offense is non-existent. 

while the contract proposed isn't a backbreaker by any means and wouldn't cause me to swear at it being a horrid deal, I'd still have to question why we'd sign someone like him for that much.  for my money, I think Zeller's the better backup center.

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2015, 03:21:42 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
He's never goona have crazy nights on offense but I've always liked him since he was drafted. I wouldn't mind since we need someone who is a 4/5 and can protect the rim.

Any idea why he never got more minutes? I know big Al is there but he seems really productive in his time and is the only real defensive big on that team.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2015, 03:30:09 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6427/bismack-biyombo

He can block shots at 1.5 BPG in 20 minutes but 4 PPG and 6 RPG is not that spectacular.  If we got him would he be a bench guy because stat wise that is what your looking at.

At the end of a game, a tall guy will still be tall whereas an athlete can get tired.  It is best to have both in a player, I think.

Not spectacular but he is top 10 rebounds per 48 and top 5 blocks per 48 at 22 years old.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2015, 03:31:35 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
He's never goona have crazy nights on offense but I've always liked him since he was drafted. I wouldn't mind since we need someone who is a 4/5 and can protect the rim.

Any idea why he never got more minutes? I know big Al is there but he seems really productive in his time and is the only real defensive big on that team.

Big Al dominates the post offensively so it's important for them to have a player that compliments him (i.e. stretch the floor) instead of occupying the same space. That's why they've tried to have players that do just that (Williams, Zeller, etc.) instead of Biyombo.

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2015, 03:34:47 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

I think there are a few reasons. First he and Al together give terrible spacing, second with Al off the court they need offense and Biyombo gives them nothing and third MKG is their SF and he cant shoot further ruining any spacing. Put him on the court with four guys who can hit shots and create for themselves and Biyombo could be a monster on the glass. IT4, AB, Young (with development), KO and Biyombo would be the the type of lineup where he would thrive. Much like Ben Wallace with the Pistons.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet