Author Topic: Its early but my thoughts on this offseason  (Read 3284 times)

Its early but my thoughts on this offseason
« on: March 12, 2015, 09:06:37 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
The Cs are currently playing their a$$ of and really making a push for the playoffs. While this inspired play is hurting the Cs on the lottery front it is clearly helping in the player development side. Smart is seeing real NBA minutes in games that matter, AB is becoming a clutch player and a leader, IT4 seems to be excepting his role as a super 6th man, KO is coming around post injuries and a slew of other guys are getting solid minutes in a playoff push. All great things.

This off-season was suppose to be about the lottery and getting our next star. This plan is all but out the window. While the Cs have cap space I fear that the amount of other teams with $$ and the looming cap jump is going to blow the market up this summer. The Cs may be left high and dry.

So with all that negativity my plan...

Trade for Faried,

12mill TPE to absorb contract, send Sully + dallas pick (likely 2016) + Cs 2016 top 8 protected

I have always been a huge sully supporter. Loved when Cs drafted him and really like his game. I think he can still be Zach Randolph 2.0 but 3 major concerns have arisen for me (and most others). 1. Injury history 2. Conditioning 3. Contract. #3 is what I think puts it over the top to trade sully. He is still a few years away from getting his big contract. This will come in the midst of the salary jump. The Cs will end up having to pay him big money and this really scares me. Faried is already signed thru 18-19 season. I'm not sure denver does this deal but I did read that they didn't love the idea of signing Faried to a big deal and felt pressure to do so after his play in FIBA. I think they may jump at the chance to clear more of their roster and add assets. The Cs have multiple ways to sweeten the pot and I would even go as fare as to include Young if needed.

Draft, looking at who will likely be available 10-15 the Cs will be in a tough spot. While BPA is always the best move it can be clouded by already having prospects at that given position. I think this will be the case as the 2 best prospects in that range will likely be Winslow and Oubre and the Cs already have young. Either way I think DA goes BPA at both Cs pick and Clippers pick likely trying to go either wing then big or big then wing. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cs promise Poeltl in the Loto to try to get him to stay in the draft. If that happend I could see them going wing at clipper pick (maybe Dekker or Anderson, figure hollis-jefferson is off the board). If the draft goes the other way I could see a Oubre/D Johnson combo. For the sake of speculation Ill say the Cs draft Poeltl and Anderson. The 2nd round picks I expect draft and stash or that they are used in trades. Faried or to move up.

Free Agents

Im pessimistic that much happens her. If my trade works then I think the Cs stand pat and resign Crowder and Jerebko.

2015-2016 Roster/ Rotation

PG Smart
SG AB     
SF Turner
PF Faried
C  Zeller (get around 25mpg)
6th Thomas (get around 30mpg)
7th KO (around 30mpg)
8th Crowder
9th Jerebko
10th Young
11th Anderson
12th Wallace
13th Pressey
14th Poeltl
15th 2nd rd pick
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Its early but my thoughts on this offseason
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 02:02:21 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
2 number 1's and a 12 mil TPE for Faried, god NO!
The first problem would be trading an injured player, as you are never going to get value. Why wouldn't you wait til the deadline and at least give Sully enough time to recoup at least some of his value, as he should at least be on the court?

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 02:05:40 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
That is a ridiculous overpay, first off.

Secondly, why the fascination with Faried?  He's undersized, so maybe people think Danny likes him?   ;)

Is he really good in NBA Live or something?  He's not going to make us a contender

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 02:21:02 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Is he really good in NBA Live or something?

lol, TP.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 02:42:42 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I see Faried as a hustle, high energy, hard worker guy. we already have a few of those.
what we need now is a super- talented guy.

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 02:54:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I see Faried as a hustle, high energy, hard worker guy. we already have a few of those.
what we need now is a super- talented guy.

pretty fair assessment.

sully > Faried.  Faried is not nearly as skilled as Sully on offense or with passing.  He's smaller than Sully (no fat jokes please) and Sully is a really good rebounder.  I probably wouldn't trade them straight up nevermind the foolishness of throwing away extra first rounders for a bench guy.

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 02:58:33 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Give Kawaii Leonard a max deal. Dont even care, I need someone to get behind.

NO to monROE.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 03:10:19 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

NO to monROE.

Why no to Monroe?  He is a better version of Jared Sullinger that is taller, stays in shape and doesn't get in domestic disputes

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 03:17:10 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
That is a ridiculous overpay, first off.

Secondly, why the fascination with Faried?  He's undersized, so maybe people think Danny likes him?   ;)

Is he really good in NBA Live or something?  He's not going to make us a contender

first let me admit not my greatest post, had a minute before work and felt like posting,

As fare as the over pay 2016 looks weak outside of the first half of the lottery. So the picks are not as valuable as perceived. I myself a few months ago would have been ranting how Sully is better then Faired and this is a terrible idea. But the truth is Sully is a scary piece long term. Yes the Cs can wait for his value to improve but I think he has a value ceiling based on injury history and every year that comes off his rookie contract that value declines. Faried may be an elite role player but I think he is a nice fit for Steven's style. We all have seen the value of mobile bigs like Bass and Jerekbo in the celtics defense. Looking at a team like ATL who excels with an undersized front court. A big reason for this is their versatility. Milsap can switch and move against the P&R helping to eliminate clear paths to the rim. Faried would provide this and is an elite athlete who used his athleticism and hustle to compensate for his lack of size. I expect him to be a consistent every night double double for the Cs. He is signed though the 2018-19 season and in a few years when the cap jumps his 12mill per will be a value contract. I also think his presence would really help KO. This would really push KO to become the scoring option he has shown the potential to be.

As for Faried making the Cs a contender, your right he will not. He is however a piece in the right direction. If the Cs go into next season with Smart, AB, Turner, Faried, Zeller, IT4, KO and Crowder as their main rotation they should be a playoff team. They are in clear need of an upgrade at SF and probably center. They still have alot of assets to upgrade those positions. Down the road if an all-star level SF can be obtained you suddenly have a contender with a core of hustle players.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:26:42 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 03:26:52 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

NO to monROE.
Has Leonard continue playing at the same level as last years playoffs?
I haven't watched any Spurs games this year.   

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 03:37:24 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

NO to monROE.

Last five games: 22,4 ppg, 8,4 rebounds, 3 steals, 1,4 blocks, .553 FG%, .833 FT%. Lows: .200 3P% and 1,2 assists.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 04:24:24 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

NO to monROE.

Last five games: 22,4 ppg, 8,4 rebounds, 3 steals, 1,4 blocks, .553 FG%, .833 FT%. Lows: .200 3P% and 1,2 assists.
The problem is, he is going to have his pick of max offers. Just giving him the max doesn't guarantee we do anything more than tie the highest offer.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 04:32:22 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

NO to monROE.

The problem is, he is going to have his pick of max offers. Just giving him the max doesn't guarantee we do anything more than tie the highest offer.

exactly, this is going to be a big problem this off-season. Alot of teams looking to spend and not a huge FA pool to spend it on. Honestly if your Leonard are you leaving the Spurs if they offer you max money in no income tax texas? Butler maybe moves if Thibs is bumped but I doubt he turns down a max deal from the Bulls, Their just are not going to be alot of guys moving this offseason. The ones that are will  have the LAL and Knicks throwing everything they can at them.

Thats why I like the idea of going after guys already signed long term. Get the Cs into some good long term deals before the cap goes crazy. This will allow them greater flexibility then teams dealing with inflated salaries a few years from now.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet