Author Topic: We shouldn't use a 2016 first round pick in a trade for Demarcus Cousins  (Read 13601 times)

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I'd grab Cousins over Simmons and it's not even close.

It's amazing to me that there's even a debate about this.

I'm not amazed. The target audience is the tank crowd. Simmons would be cost controlled. Everyone wants to be an accountant all of a sudden instead of a fan. Basketball coverage mind you isn't my strength however my experience working in pro baseball showed me the flame out rate for "can't miss" prospects is pretty high.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
This is probably a mute point because I just don't see Cousins being traded.

As for 2016 I would be all for the Cs trading THEIR pick in any deal that makes them better. The Nets pick needs to be retained or at least carry a top 8 protection. (dont get me wrong if this was a deal breaker in a cousins trade I would still make the cousins trade but the Nets pick is an A+ asset)

The 2016 Draft looks weak in terms of overall depth especially compared to2014s super deep draft and 2015s projected deep draft. I do think 2016 will have a very nice top 5-8 featuring J Brown, B Simmons, T Maker and D Bender. The Nets are sitting at 9th right now and will swap their first with ATL this season leaving them at the tail end of the 1st. Next year the east should be improved and the Nets lack players to develop or assets to trade so they should be stuck in a rut for at least 1-2 years. They should be firmly planted in the Loto and this shot at a high pick for the Cs should not be squandered.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

As for 2016 I would be all for the Cs trading THEIR pick in any deal that makes them better. The Nets pick needs to be retained or at least carry a top 8 protection. (dont get me wrong if this was a deal breaker in a cousins trade I would still make the cousins trade but the Nets pick is an A+ asset)

The 2016 Draft looks weak in terms of overall depth especially compared to2014s super deep draft and 2015s projected deep draft. I do think 2016 will have a very nice top 5-8 featuring J Brown, B Simmons, T Maker and D Bender. The Nets are sitting at 9th right now and will swap their first with ATL this season leaving them at the tail end of the 1st. Next year the east should be improved and the Nets lack players to develop or assets to trade so they should be stuck in a rut for at least 1-2 years. They should be firmly planted in the Loto and this shot at a high pick for the Cs should not be squandered.
Not to be a grammar bully but it's a moot point not a mute point.

I initially thought Cousins wouldn't be dealt but that Beck from Bleacher Report and Windhorst from ESPN mentioned it as a possibility makes me more inclined to think it could happen.

As to not trading the 2016, I completely agree that the Nets pick will be a high one, but I would give it up, because you always take the sure thing NBA star over a chance at the mystery box that is the draft lottery.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
i think we will keep the picks... ours dallas and the nets... there is a possibility that all will be lottery picks.. chicago cleveland indiana washington torronto hawks bucks and miami will probably be better than us and the nets.... and i am not sure that dallas has a sure playoff position next year.. brutal west............................
if we do something extraordinary with free agents things will change but the past has shown that we will not get a good free agent

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
and i have seen the 2016 mocks.... the top 15 players have great future

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm going with Cousins over the allure of potential. 

You have a pretty good idea what you're getting with Cousins.  You don't with the future.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

I initially thought Cousins wouldn't be dealt but that Beck from Bleacher Report and Windhorst from ESPN mentioned it as a possibility makes me more inclined to think it could happen.

As to not trading the 2016, I completely agree that the Nets pick will be a high one, but I would give it up, because you always take the sure thing NBA star over a chance at the mystery box that is the draft lottery.
If we have a shot at Cousins we need to take it. But, Do you think Karl is going to wait 5 years to win a championship. If he trades Cousins it will take that long. I see him trying to win with him and use the Memphis model. Karl has always won using the players he has in a system for them. Run TMC, and Full court pressure for the Sonics. Pound it in to cousins. He keeps getting better. He will be peaking in the coming years. I see Gay being traded before Cousins.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

If we have a shot at Cousins we need to take it. But, Do you think Karl is going to wait 5 years to win a championship. If he trades Cousins it will take that long. I see him trying to win with him and use the Memphis model. Karl has always won using the players he has in a system for them. Run TMC, and Full court pressure for the Sonics. Pound it in to cousins. He keeps getting better. He will be peaking in the coming years. I see Gay being traded before Cousins.
I think it's likely we have to work in a third team that has players Karl would want now (like Lawson) in addition to adding some picks.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I disagree. I think we should use anything we can to land DMC.

I'd take a young but proven, top 10 talent over potential any day.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I do not want Cousins, PERIOD.

the guy is a head case, he is not a Celtic and he will not lead a team to a title because he is too self-centered. think of the great Celtic players who led each championship era - Russell, Cowens, Bird, Garnett - none were self-centered in basketball terms. they were team-centered.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Peoples argument is between guarantee vs potential

Cousins is guaranteed going to be a multiple time all star and would move us to probably to the top 6 in the east behind cavs, Toronto, Hawks, Pacers and bulls

Prospects at the top of the lottery depending whether or not they declare for the draft , could become a greater player than cousins. Also how the lotto balls fall can determine whether we get the 1 pick or the no 14 pick

It's like the cavs they traded wiggins for love 
Wiggins had potential and love guaranteed the cavs rebounds, 3 point shooting and post scoring and bad defence
Which I think it is safe to assume that they lost in the trade
Seeing as how wiggins is doing well while love doesn't have a defined role yet on their team with 2 offensive minded players requiring the ball
Love has been relegated to a rebounder and spot up shooter

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The thing about Demarcus Cousins is that he's really, really talented. And the thing about trading potentially very good draft picks, is that those guys are potentially going to be very, very good. Usually you don't trade those picks because the potential loss outweighs the potential gain.

In this case, that is not the case.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcGeaNj-ug

The best center in the NBA.  39 points, 20 rebounds against Omar Asik and Anthony Davis.  The versatility of his game is astounding.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Both ESPN's Chad Ford and DraftXpress says 2016 is a weak draft.

Will Chad edit after he is wrong as usual?

Almost assuredly.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I love Cousins, but I wouldn't give up multiple unprotected firsts for him because even acquiring Cousins doesn't make this team a contender and if you give up a ton to get him, you limit your ability going forward to make the team a contender.  Now if you aren't giving up the farm you have to do it.  For example, I'd do something like Sullinger, 2015 BOS 1st (assuming not top 3), 2016 BRK 1st, 2017 BOS 1st (lottery protected), and salary filler.  I think that would be reasonable value for Cousins (if he was demanding a trade) and would still leave Boston enough assets to build a contender.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip