Poll

Do you think that we should try and get him?

Yes
18 (46.2%)
No
5 (12.8%)
Maybe, depends on the contract he wants
16 (41%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: JaVale McGee still in play for the Celtics  (Read 5719 times)

Re: JaVale McGee still in play for the Celtics
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 04:16:59 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
I think it is worth a shot as well.

I could not help but think he would have helped last night when Oladipo and Elfrid were driving to the basket at will on us.  There were times when Orlando made its run in the third that Zeller (though I like him) was ineffective as our final line of defense.

But I agree with Danny.  No point in bringing him without the team having the option for next year.  Bringing Javale in, only to lose him next year because he plays well over the this next month would be meaningless, because we are not winning a ring either way.  No point in slightly improving our team for one month.  I would rather give those minutes to players we plan to keep or can increase trade value on.

Now, if we have him locked in for next year as well (with the option to cut bait if he just looks horrible) then it is totally worth bringing him in and giving him meaningful minutes as he could be a building block or asset for later trade.

At the same time, I can't blame Javale for wanting to have the option be his, but considering how injury prone he has been, and the fact that suiters are fading, he may want to reconsider.  A bird in the hand.

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 04:20:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If the alternative is having Shavlik Randolph on the team or Luigi I am more interested. I might be a lot more interested in some of the D League kids

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 04:21:56 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
In terms of making the playoffs, Indy is 11-2 in their most recent games and they're getting Paul George back in the next two weeks (although he'll have very limited minutes at first).

Charlotte is 6-4 - winning 5 of their last 5 and with Mo Williams averaging 20 ppg as a starter.

I don't think it's realistic to think that we're going to overcome either of those teams because we add Javale McGee. 

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 04:34:29 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
In terms of making the playoffs, Indy is 11-2 in their most recent games and they're getting Paul George back in the next two weeks (although he'll have very limited minutes at first).

Charlotte is 6-4 - winning 5 of their last 5 and with Mo Williams averaging 20 ppg as a starter.

I don't think it's realistic to think that we're going to overcome either of those teams because we add Javale McGee.

Maybe not, but we've been playing good ball lately too. Considering how rare it is that this team gets blown out, if McGee can save us 6-8 points a game on D we could win a few more games.

And I think we're overlooking the idea that DA is interested in McGee because he wants to see how guys like Olynyk, Jerebko, Crowder and Bass play with a real defensive presence inside. KO needs to defend 4s, not 5s. He's obviously not the long term solution, but he could be a more than adequate stop-gap/back up for the guy we hopefully draft. And his game meshes well with our other bigs.

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 04:42:08 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If Ainge really cared about the playoffs, he'd have given McGee what he wanted.  Ainge only wants McGee if he can be a potential asset in any trades this off season or next year, and I am totally in agreement on that.

Mike

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 04:45:11 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
If Ainge really cared about the playoffs, he'd have given McGee what he wanted.  Ainge only wants McGee if he can be a potential asset in any trades this off season or next year, and I am totally in agreement on that.

Mike

I think we have to virtually play perfect the rest of the season to make the playoffs given how well Indy and Charlotte are playing anyways. Would love to make them, but I just don't see it happening.

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 05:15:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't know what Javale or his agent are thinking. He has the opportunity to go a team that could sneak into the playoffs, has only 1 other player taller than 6'8 on their roster, plays in the weaker conference and is set financially and he doesn't want to do it?

His goal isn't to make the playoffs, it is to maximize his earnings for next season.  That's perfectly acceptable capitalist motive.

You selectively omitted my quote pointing out he would get little time with the other teams rumored to have been in on him (capitalist motives). Selectively taking quotes from someone and arguing them is pretty weak sauce...

He just has to look good in limited minutes while not appearing to be a cancer.  Arguably, too much playing time might lead to too many opportunities to screw up.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 05:16:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If Ainge really cared about the playoffs, he'd have given McGee what he wanted.  Ainge only wants McGee if he can be a potential asset in any trades this off season or next year, and I am totally in agreement on that

I agree with this, TP.

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 05:40:55 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
If Ainge really cared about the playoffs, he'd have given McGee what he wanted.  Ainge only wants McGee if he can be a potential asset in any trades this off season or next year, and I am totally in agreement on that

I agree with this, TP.

Not necessarily. I think Ainge didn't want to give developmental minutes to a player that could bolt, for a bigger pay day next season. Instead, the wiser move would be to spend hose minutes on a Jerebko (to see what he can do) or Olynyk/Zeller (for further development). In addition, not sure how many of you guys actually watched McGee this season, but he didn't look right physically. He still seem to be favoring his leg and the stats reflect it. In 61 total minutes of action with the Sixers he grabbed only 13 rebounds and blocked 1 shot.