Poll

Do you think that we should try and get him?

Yes
18 (46.2%)
No
5 (12.8%)
Maybe, depends on the contract he wants
16 (41%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: JaVale McGee still in play for the Celtics  (Read 5718 times)

JaVale McGee still in play for the Celtics
« on: March 09, 2015, 01:45:47 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/reports-javale-mcgee-still-in-play-for-celtics-unlikely-to-land-with-mavericks-or-warriors/

Apparently, he was at the Celtics' facility last week ready to play.

I would say maybe because of his contract but he would be nice to have a rim protector for this playoff push.

Re: JaVale McGee still in play for the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 01:51:45 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
A great, big MAYBE
Totally depends on the contract.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 02:09:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I don't know what Javale or his agent are thinking. He has the opportunity to go a team that could sneak into the playoffs, has only 1 other player taller than 6'8 on their roster, plays in the weaker conference and is set financially and he doesn't want to do it?

If he signed with Warriors he might get 5 minutes a game if he could pass fezeli on their depth chart. Dallas, maybe 8 minutes backing up Chandler. If it doesn't work out he could easily be left off their playoff rosters. What is this guy thinking?

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 02:10:17 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I'm in on this move. PARTICULARLY, if he has the mutual interest and WANTS to be a Celtic.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 02:10:41 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I don't think that "JaVale McGee" and "playoff push" go together, at least not in the short term. Having big, strong, amazing JaVale McGee in the wrong position isn't going be better for us than having slow, overmatched Shavlick Randolph or Kelly Olynyk in the right one.

I'm definitely interested in getting him for next year, though.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I would say, no one else wanted him, so the Celtics is the only team willing to give him an offer

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 02:12:22 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Why not.  Thight we shoulda tried him and the nets big from Washington too.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 02:14:54 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't know what Javale or his agent are thinking. He has the opportunity to go a team that could sneak into the playoffs, has only 1 other player taller than 6'8 on their roster, plays in the weaker conference and is set financially and he doesn't want to do it?

His goal isn't to make the playoffs, it is to maximize his earnings for next season.  That's perfectly acceptable capitalist motive.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 02:27:49 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Look if the goofball can play and help us let's sign him

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 02:30:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

His goal isn't to make the playoffs, it is to maximize his earnings for next season.  That's perfectly acceptable capitalist motive.

His goal should be to maximize his earnings, period (not just next season).  It is thoroughly believable the market for him next summer is little more than the minimum.  He also gets to keep only half his salary -- the other half counts against what Philly owes him.  It might make more sense to play 1.25 seasons with the same team and rebuild his value for the summer of 2016 when there will be 28-30 teams with significant amounts of cap room.  One would also think it easier to rebuild value on a team sorely lacking in size.  It's not clear what sitting at the end of the bench is going to do for his next deal.  I think his agent might be leading his client astray regarding his value.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 02:38:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

You selectively omitted my quote pointing out he would get little time with the other teams rumored to have been in on him (capitalist motives). Selectively taking quotes from someone and arguing them is pretty weak sauce...

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 03:11:25 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Meh the ship has sailed the way we've been dropping leads were shooting ourselves right in the foot and out of the playoff hunt
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 03:16:42 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Meh the ship has sailed the way we've been dropping leads were shooting ourselves right in the foot and out of the playoff hunt

I doubt it, and they only dropped two leads. (One to a very good team.)

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 03:19:47 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I'm all aboard the "Why not?" train. Sure he's a moron and gets the least out of the most natural talent that he has, but he fills a need. He's also finesse. He can run the floor as a big. He's basically a dumber, better defensively Chris Wilcox. It'll be nice to have someone hold the fort in the 2nd unit. Of course that still depends if something gets done.

I say let's give Javale a go. the welcome might be bittersweet but if he can help, then there will be no hard feelings.

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 04:15:40 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
I don't know if McGee is the answer but we do need that type player.