Author Topic: Patriots & NFL Free Agency Updates 2015  (Read 65638 times)

Patriots & NFL Free Agency Updates 2015
« on: March 09, 2015, 11:37:47 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:17:34 PM by Donoghus »
Celtics fan for life.

Re: Patriots Free Agency Updates 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 11:55:49 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Probably a slight overpay but an important resigning to keep that secondary in tact.  Turn the focus to Revis which is certainly looking more & more like a 50/50 proposition.

Not Pats related but this Patrick Willis retirement news is shocking.  Add in Justin Smith's retirement & Harbaugh leaving, all of a sudden, the Niners look in big trouble.

I just have to laugh at the league scolding all 32 teams about these contract leaks coming out during their self described "legal tampering period".  What did they expect would happen?  Also,  where do you think some of these leaks are coming?  The league office, perhaps?  What a joke.  How about you launch another investigation, Roger?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 01:34:31 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
I just have to laugh at the league scolding all 32 teams about these contract leaks coming out during their self described "legal tampering period".  What did they expect would happen?  Also,  where do you think some of these leaks are coming?  The league office, perhaps?  What a joke.  How about you launch another investigation, Roger?

#tampergate
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 03:18:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sounds like the Pats are going to allow Browner to test the market and not pick up his option.  It appears like they're trying to get a restructure going on with him rather than pick up his team option for next year due to the cap hit ramifications. 

Given the open market contracts being thrown to CB's, its an awfully tricky situation to be in. 

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 03:42:30 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Sounds like the Pats are going to allow Browner to test the market and not pick up his option.  It appears like they're trying to get a restructure going on with him rather than pick up his team option for next year due to the cap hit ramifications. 

Given the open market contracts being thrown to CB's, its an awfully tricky situation to be in.

Wow, is the entire Pats secondary in free agency? Good grief. I hope they can keep all of them.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 03:48:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Schefter now reporting that Pats are not picking up Revis' 2015 option.  Not really a surprise but there had been some speculation in the past 24 hours that they might actually pick it up.

So now he's a FA.  Letting the bidding wars begin. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:54:04 PM by Donoghus »

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Schefter is saying it's Pats or Jets for Revis.

I know the Jets drafted him, but I don't know why he'd choose them (besides money). What a terrible organization. He toiled there for years without even sniffing a title, then wins one in his first season in NE, so hopefully he's willing to take less money and stay with a winner.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 05:22:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Wow, is the entire Pats secondary in free agency? Good grief. I hope they can keep all of them.
Browner had a team option. But since he ($5.5 mil) and Solder ($7.4 mil) are the only two guys that could be released without taking a cap hit, letting him go at this point is a no-brainer. With that move, the team has about ~$15 million, and Revis is reportedly looking for $48 over 3 years with $40 million guaranteed. I absolutely find this palatable -- and if he'd give up $3-odd millions from this, I don't see why a deal shouldn't be done before tomorrow.

I'm guessing the team will try to restructure Solder so that they can bring back Browner, Connolly, or perhaps Vereen. But I wouldn't be surprised if neither of those guys is back. Their shoes are much easier to fill than Revis'.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:01:31 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 06:00:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Schefter is saying it's Pats or Jets for Revis.

I know the Jets drafted him, but I don't know why he'd choose them (besides money). What a terrible organization. He toiled there for years without even sniffing a title, then wins one in his first season in NE, so hopefully he's willing to take less money and stay with a winner.

Revis is in his prime, but only for a few more years. I would think the opportunity to compete and become a multiple time champion would really outweigh the chance to go 8-8

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 06:08:53 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Browner had a team option. But since he ($5.5 mil) and Solder ($7.4 mil) are the only two guys that could be released without taking a cap hit, letting him go at this point is a no-brainer. With that move, the team has about ~$15 million, and Revis is reportedly looking for $48 over 3 years with $40 million guaranteed. I absolutely find this palatable -- and if he'd give up $3-odd millions from this, I don't see why a deal shouldn't be done before tomorrow.

I'm guessing the team will try to restructure Solder so that they can bring back Browner, Connolly, or perhaps Vereen. But I wouldn't be surprised if neither of those guys is back. Their shoes are much easier to fill than Revis'.

Makes sense, though I'd love to keep all those guys. Vereen, especially, has proven himself quite useful.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 06:53:29 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Resigned S Devin McCourty (5 years, $47.5M)

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4778837/patriots-stepped-up-at-last-moment-on-devin-mccourty-extension

About right since hes a top notch safety which has been getting at least 9-10 million per year on the market, which was predicted for McCourty this offseason.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:26:38 PM by Fan from VT »

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 07:26:06 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Browner is a logical cut. He makes pretty good money, and the pats save a bit by cutting him. Denard is pretty good on the outside; I think the reason Denard didn't play much this year was injury then because he was behind Revis and Browner for the outside and Denard is bad in the slot. But Denard across from Revis as the #2 would work, especially rotating with Butler (if he's for real) with Arrington and Ryan filling in. Browner is OK, and he's tough, but he has some drawbacks. He's actually a year older than Revis. Gets a LOT of penalties. I remember from a Barnwell/Simmons Podcast, Barnwell said: (8/6/14)

"That's the one I'm kind of questionable about, and here's why. Pete Carrol is the greatest defensive backs coach in the NFL. And he's brought in Brandon Browner who was a CFL player and turned him into a pro bowl caliber player. Richard Sherman was a 5th round pick, he became a superstar. Uh when they lost Brandon Browner they didn't skip a beat. Walter Thurman was very good, he went to the Giants and didn't get a lot of money, and Byron Maxwell, really their third string cornerback was phenomenal when he came in and played across from Sherman so to me I wonder how successful those guys are going to be outside of the Seattle scheme and without Pete Carrol around to coach them up."

It's a fair point. Browner was solid, but he did go from playing with Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor to Revis, McCourty, and a rejuvinated Chung. Considering that there is a salary cap and hard choices must be made, it makes sense to try to save money on your 2nd corner (3rd-4th best defensive back), especially since he's always had success in pretty cushy situations and will be 31 before the season starts.

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 11:22:13 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Gets a LOT of penalties.
On the other hand, some people concluded last season that taking a lot of penalties doesn't necessarily hurt you all that much.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 12:39:27 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Gets a LOT of penalties.
On the other hand, some people concluded last season that taking a lot of penalties doesn't necessarily hurt you all that much.

The last two SB champs were among league leaders in penalties. So there's that.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 12:56:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Gets a LOT of penalties.

The last two SB champs were among league leaders in penalties. So there's that.

Helps having a 6'4" corner.  Those guys don't grow on trees. 

If Browner is 5'10", I'm not sure Butler makes that INT at the end of the Super Bowl.   Browner was the key to setting up the INT by standing up Kearse at the LOS. 

As much as the penalties are frustrating, Browner was an extremely important part of the playoff run.  Had a very strong postseason.  I'd love to have him back.