Author Topic: Does anybody think that Danny Ainge has been a disappointing GM?  (Read 15612 times)

Re: Does anybody think that Danny Ainge has been a disappointing GM?
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2015, 03:22:20 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Everyone makes mistakes, but I think we can all agree that Ainge's hits are far more numerous than his misses.

I don't know if he's the best in the NBA, but he's clearly not bad by any reasonable definition of the word. If you think Ainge is a bad GM, then nothing short of an omnipotent deity would probably satisfy you.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2015, 03:26:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

See... how often do teams who exclusively pick in the mid-to-late 1st actually land all-star talent? 

Our highest pick of his tenure was the #5 Jeff Green pick... which he used to land Ray Allen and then used that momentum to convince Kevin Garnett to agree to a trade. 

We picked Smart #6 and it's too soon to tell if he's going to pan out or not. 

People bring up players taken #22 like Fab Melo.  How often do players taken #22 turn into all-stars? It's silly.  Total crap shoot that late in the draft.  I mean in that same draft Thomas Robinson went 5th.   We snagged Sullinger at #21.   Melo was taken right before John Jenkins and Jared Cunningham.  Are you grossly disappointed we didn't take one of those guys instead?

Ainge is one of the best GM's in the league.

One of the most rationale arguments in this thread. 

Seriously, look at the draft spots Ainge has been working with.  More often than not, he's been at  a position with a high potential of failure and he's done alright for himself.  People expect diamonds in the rough every time on these low picks then used hindsight & scream about how Danny is a failure at the draft.    What about getting guys like Gomes & Davis in the second round?  Or Sullinger in the 20s?   Avery Bradley at 19?  Or the year he got Jefferson, Delonte, & Tony Allen all in the mid to late first round.   Smart is the only pick he's had in the top half of the draft since that fateful 2007 draft. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2015, 03:33:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Maybe we can get DA a working flux capacitor or some sort of Dr. Who type phone booth or inert him into the source code or something. How many turns do you think it would take with a Harry Potter style time turner? Bout 2 million? Because without one of these things he's going to continue to disappoint a lot of people.

I was a fan of Jimmer and Adam Morrison. I feel like an idiot looking back at it because I only had NBA GMs and Chad Ford and Jay Bilas agreeing with me at the time.

« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2015, 03:38:11 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Maybe we can get DA a working flux capacitor or some sort of Dr. Who type phone booth or inert him into the source code or something. How many turns do you think it would take with a Harry Potter style time turner? Bout 2 million? Because without one of these things he's going to continue to disappoint a lot of people.

I was a fan of Jimmer and Adam Morrison. I feel like an idiot looking back at it because I only had NBA GMs and Chad Ford and Jay Bilas agreeing with me at the time.

Ridiculous. How is Ainge to alter the moves of his past with the overwhelming risk of running into his past self, and endanger the entire universe in the process? Marty and Doc luckily got away with it but they were playing with fire, and in Ainge's case here, I  think the risk outweighs the reward.

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2015, 04:25:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I never thought Jimmer was NBA material...
I can't throw stones ....LoL I was a advocate of drafting Fab Melo .....he was my first choice .....I nearly hit the ceiling when DA took him....... :'(

And I was on the draft bandwagon for that airplane sick White ,  with the mental demons..... :-X

I didn't think the Plumlees were anygood ......again huge mistake .

I did agree with him taking Smart over Exum ...I never even heard of Payton ...never seen him play

I would have done no better .  Probably worse than Danny...but there is still issues with his talent scouts.

I have no issues with his I business trades on known quantities .....IT , ET ...etc  or vets

It's the new talent he is poor judge ...I think he needs to fire the the scouts and hire guys away from Spurs and Bulls .   

« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2015, 04:45:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Overall no, but I haven't liked most of the moves since the KG trade.  Really think we should have come out with at least another title and also think he waited too long on moving on to the rebuild.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2015, 04:59:06 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

I never thought Jimmer was NBA material...
I can't throw stones ....LoL I was a advocate of drafting Fab Melo .....he was my first choice .....I nearly hit the ceiling when DA took him....... :'(

And I was on the draft bandwagon for that airplane sick White ,  with the mental demons..... :-X

I didn't think the Plumlees were anygood ......again huge mistake .

I did agree with him taking Smart over Exum ...I never even heard of Payton ...never seen him play

I would have done no better .  Probably worse than Danny...but there is still issues with his talent scouts.

I have no issues with his I business trades on known quantities .....IT , ET ...etc  or vets

It's the new talent he is poor judge ...I think he needs to fire the the scouts and hire guys away from Spurs and Bulls .
Fab Melo was not the smartest dude. I remember one play, he was guarding someone on the block, and he crouched down so low that he basically turned himself into a 6 footer while guarding a 7 footer.