Author Topic: Does anybody think that Danny Ainge has been a disappointing GM?  (Read 15644 times)

Re: Does anybody think that Danny Ainge has been a disappointing GM?
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2015, 11:41:21 AM »

Offline stny

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
I think that Danny has done a great job. When you look at he draft choices, trades and maneuvers there is NOBODY better. He even remembered my son's name in an AAU tournament many years ago. Kind of scary..

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2015, 01:01:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I guess "disappointment" is based on expectations.  If people were expecting Danny to be perfect, or close to it, of course they're going to be disappointed.

But, he's been very good.  R.C. Buford is probably the absolute gold standard, and he's got plenty of mistakes on his record.  He let Hedo Turkoglu leave in free agency for no compensation.  He traded Luis Scola for basically nothing.  He traded two first rounders (David Lee and Mardy Collins) for Nazr Mohammed.  He missed on taking the best player available in several drafts.

That's the best in the business.  If you look at Morey, or Presti, or whoever you want to, their track record will surely have similar misses.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2015, 03:08:39 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Disappointing? I don't want to insult anyone but that question is ridiculous.

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2015, 04:27:01 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Drafting is one of Danny's strengths. He gets a lot out of poor draft positions.

Next, it is good to read this thread's posts after so many "fire ainge" threads.

Tell that to JaJaun Johnson, Fab Melo and J.R Giddens.   I don't think they would agree with you.  There a few guys I would rather have than KO too.
He has missed with some. Otther than Draymond after Melo there really is no one that stands out. KO. Bradley, Smart and Sully are great picks. KO and Young the Jury is still out. I think this draft will help define DA. I think the only ones doing better drating is GSW in my opinion.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2015, 04:31:20 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I'm very confused by this post.

Danny Ainge has brought the Celtics more championships than Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose and Stephen Curry combined.

A championship and another trip to the Finals is a very good run.  Since 1980, only 9 franchises have won a title.  That means that 21 have failed.  In a 10 year period, Danny not only put us in a position to win a championship, but he had us knocking on the door repeatedly.

Game. Set. Match. Thank you Roy
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2015, 04:32:58 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
it's ALL about KG's Knee injury---it doesn't happen....and Ainge gets 3 Rings most likely.

Ugh. I hate thinking about this. But I believe it is true. At least 1 more ring if not 2.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2015, 04:36:36 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Nope.
Going to the Finals more than once, and winning it all once, makes him a good GM in my eyes.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2015, 04:42:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
it's ALL about KG's Knee injury---it doesn't happen....and Ainge gets 3 Rings most likely.

Ugh. I hate thinking about this. But I believe it is true. At least 1 more ring if not 2.

Yeah, a fully healthy KG and they're probably the favorites in 2009, 2010, and 2011.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2015, 04:59:39 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
We won it all in 08, were the favorites pre KG injury in 09, deserved the title in 2010,if not for a perk ACL and some really iffy calls, and then the refs also screwed them out of a championship appearance in 2012. Keep in mind this is the year the Heat annihilated the OKC thunder. There is no reason to think that if our Heat series had been referred fairly, we would not  have had a good shot at a championship. The point is that in a 13 year span, Ainge had us right in the thick of things 4 times. Things go wrong sometimes and right other times but the point is that Ainge built one of the very best teams in basketall four times in a 12 year span. He took over a team which had peaked at 1 first round exit, tore it down, and won a championship in his first five years.

No, we arent the Spurs, but thats just luck of the draw.
Any one will win championships if they get Lebron, or Kobe, or Duncan

sorry cleveland
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2015, 05:35:07 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

Yup. Instead of us asking whether Ainge is disappointing, we would have been claiming that he is the best GM in the league.

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2015, 05:40:40 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I think Danny Ainge has been a let down as GM. In over ten years as GM the Celtics went to the finals twice and won 1 NBA championship title. Even if all star free agents is deemed as unrealistic for the Celtics to land a good GM still tries  his best(Danny Ainge has failed to do so). The Celtics have failed to land a young franchise player within his time as GM. Rondo isn't a frachise point guard; Russel Westbrook is, Derrick Rose is, Stephan Curry is, and ect.

What do you guys think about Danny Ainge performance as GM?

Danny, is that you looking for deserved plaudits?

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2015, 06:48:26 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I think Danny Ainge has been a let down as GM. In over ten years as GM the Celtics went to the finals twice and won 1 NBA championship title. Even if all star free agents is deemed as unrealistic for the Celtics to land a good GM still tries  his best(Danny Ainge has failed to do so). The Celtics have failed to land a young franchise player within his time as GM. Rondo isn't a frachise point guard; Russel Westbrook is, Derrick Rose is, Stephan Curry is, and ect.

What do you guys think about Danny Ainge performance as GM?

Danny, is that you looking for deserved plaudits?

Looking for a raise no doubt. Nicely played Danny. Nicely played.

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2015, 11:52:36 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
1 Title and 2 Finals is not good enough.

yes, Garnett's injury killed them in 2009 (so did Havlicek's in '73) but they should have won in 2010 (with Posey- why was Danny worried about an extra contract year, we were in a win-now mode) and would most likely have won in 2011 (with Perk). I repeat - what did Danny spend every year after '08 doing ? Looking for a backup wing for Pierce and then a starting center after trading Perk. Danny screwed it up. The Garnett team should have 2 banners minimum.

Some on this forum may say, "You can't expect the 1960's forever," I don't.
I do expect the 70's & 80's every decade for the top franchise in the league.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2015, 12:22:43 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Disappointed for sure because only one title in a good 4 year run. He has torn apart multiple playoff teams for rebuilds as well so he doesnt get all the credit for the championship turn around on first rebuild. Hopefully he can make this rebuild a better one that nets at least 2 titles. He may be a top 5 gm in the league when it comes to trades but in FA and drafting he is just average.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:56:15 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2015, 12:32:23 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

Idk if we'd be able to beat the 2009 Lakers. They looked unstoppable that year with that double tower of Gasol-Odom, and a fiery Kobe.

2010 we were able to hang with them. But that Perkins injury...ugh.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)