Author Topic: Does anybody think that Danny Ainge has been a disappointing GM?  (Read 15643 times)

Re: Does anybody think that Danny Ainge has been a disappointing GM?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2015, 11:46:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Drafting is one of Danny's strengths. He gets a lot out of poor draft positions.

Next, it is good to read this thread's posts after so many "fire ainge" threads.

Tell that to JaJaun Johnson rondo, Fab Melo sully and J.R Giddens tony allen, delonte west, perkins, james young, avery bradley, al jefferson.   I don't think they would agree with you.  There a few guys I would rather have than KO too.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2015, 12:06:42 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
I wouldn't count James Young as a steal yet. He showed some flashes, but he's not contributing much at the moment.

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2015, 01:02:31 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
I'm very confused by this post.

Danny Ainge has brought the Celtics more championships than Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose and Stephen Curry combined.

A championship and another trip to the Finals is a very good run.  Since 1980, only 9 franchises have won a title.  That means that 21 have failed.  In a 10 year period, Danny not only put us in a position to win a championship, but he had us knocking on the door repeatedly.

9 franchises have won, 21 have not - only one of those is the Boston Celtics. I believe our standards should be higher than the rest of the league, including the Lakers, who barely recognized their Minneapolis titles until after they had won a few in the 80's.

my concern with Danny is his almost addictive compulsion to make personnel moves. remember the pre-Garnett years when he kept changing the rebuild mid-stream over and over again, using up time, money and development of players in the process.

Also, I will forever believe that he gave away two very strong title chances by allowing James Posey to leave and by trading Kendrick Perkins. what did he spend all his time doing after the loss of those two players ?? Looking for a backup wing for Pierce and trying to find a center, that's what. Please don't start on Perk's stats at OKC - we all know his value in Boston was greater because he was such a good fit here.

right now - the past two years - he has done a great job, I suppose, setting the table for the future, though we paid a very high price. I will always be heartbroken over the loss of Garnett, Pierce and Allen............. and Danny did run Ray Allen out of town by the way he treated him, publicly shopping the guy in the press (which he has done to a lot of our players). Remember what Larry Bird said in the Simmons interview about how much it meant to him that Red stayed loyal to him, McHale, Parish, DJ and others in their later years.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:12:05 AM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2015, 01:53:02 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Quote from: tenn_smoothie link=topic=76787.msg1841513#msg1841513
Danny did run Ray Allen out of town by the way he treated him, publicly shopping the guy in the press (which he has done to a lot of our players).

To be fair, Ray was becoming a sort of a diva towards the end anyway. He was jealous that DA's top priority was re-signing KG over him. And he couldn't stand the fact that Doc benched him for Bradley.

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2015, 01:55:15 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I think Danny Ainge has been a let down as GM. In over ten years as GM the Celtics went to the finals twice and won 1 NBA championship title. Even if all star free agents is deemed as unrealistic for the Celtics to land a good GM still tries  his best(Danny Ainge has failed to do so). The Celtics have failed to land a young franchise player within his time as GM. Rondo isn't a frachise point guard; Russel Westbrook is, Derrick Rose is, Stephan Curry is, and ect.

What do you guys think about Danny Ainge performance as GM?

Rose is a shell of himself, and Curry/Westbrook has yet to win a ring yet.

This post only proves that sometimes our fanbase is way too self entitled to root for a team that hustles, and puts it out on the court. I'd rather watch this team than watch the team last year with Rondo as our point.

Curry and Westbrook are still the better players than rondo

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2015, 03:03:31 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I'm very confused by this post.

Danny Ainge has brought the Celtics more championships than Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose and Stephen Curry combined.

A championship and another trip to the Finals is a very good run.  Since 1980, only 9 franchises have won a title.  That means that 21 have failed.  In a 10 year period, Danny not only put us in a position to win a championship, but he had us knocking on the door repeatedly.

9 franchises have won, 21 have not - only one of those is the Boston Celtics. I believe our standards should be higher than the rest of the league, including the Lakers, who barely recognized their Minneapolis titles until after they had won a few in the 80's.

my concern with Danny is his almost addictive compulsion to make personnel moves. remember the pre-Garnett years when he kept changing the rebuild mid-stream over and over again, using up time, money and development of players in the process.

Also, I will forever believe that he gave away two very strong title chances by allowing James Posey to leave and by trading Kendrick Perkins. what did he spend all his time doing after the loss of those two players ?? Looking for a backup wing for Pierce and trying to find a center, that's what. Please don't start on Perk's stats at OKC - we all know his value in Boston was greater because he was such a good fit here.

right now - the past two years - he has done a great job, I suppose, setting the table for the future, though we paid a very high price. I will always be heartbroken over the loss of Garnett, Pierce and Allen............. and Danny did run Ray Allen out of town by the way he treated him, publicly shopping the guy in the press (which he has done to a lot of our players). Remember what Larry Bird said in the Simmons interview about how much it meant to him that Red stayed loyal to him, McHale, Parish, DJ and others in their later years.

I agree that we could have won with Perkins back when he traded him for green
But we also had a lot of injuries in the playoffs with a lot of our role players injured and pierce, and Allen playing hurt
Shaq even told ainge not to trade Perkins cuz he knew he wouldn't be able play large mins for the team
It was a miracle that we came so close against the heat

I disagree with posey, I don't think we should have overpaid him but I feel like we could have attracted another forward or drafted a forward

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2015, 03:04:46 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Since Danny was hired by the Celtics there are only 5 teams other than the Celtics to win an NBA championship.... I'd say that's doing more than a fine job.

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2015, 03:23:54 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Absolutely not.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 09:47:46 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Drafting is one of Danny's strengths. He gets a lot out of poor draft positions.

Next, it is good to read this thread's posts after so many "fire ainge" threads.

Tell that to JaJaun Johnson, Fab Melo and J.R Giddens.   I don't think they would agree with you.  There a few guys I would rather have than KO too.

Why do you think naming failed draft picks that were in the the 20s and 30s is any evidence of Ainge drafting badly? You might as well be crying that Semih Erden didn't work out at #60 in 2008.

And as for the guys you would rather have than KO, please prove it. Please go back and point to posts where you said, immediately after that draft, you would rather have x player over KO. Otherwise, you're just GMing with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. That's easy to do (as seen in your post), but it makes for a p----poor argument.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2015, 10:23:36 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Tell that to JaJaun Johnson, Fab Melo and J.R Giddens.   I don't think they would agree with you.  There a few guys I would rather have than KO too.

Why do you think naming failed draft picks that were in the the 20s and 30s is any evidence of Ainge drafting badly? You might as well be crying that Semih Erden didn't work out at #60 in 2008.

And as for the guys you would rather have than KO, please prove it. Please go back and point to posts where you said, immediately after that draft, you would rather have x player over KO. Otherwise, you're just GMing with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. That's easy to do (as seen in your post), but it makes for a p----poor argument.
and dont forget that lousy bum auerbach. in 2001 that clown chose joe forte at the #21 spot when he could have had any of these guys:
tony parker
jamal tinsley
sam dalembert
gilbert arenas
mehmut okur

oh...what could have been if only we had a talent scout who did not disappoint.  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 10:54:39 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

This is one of the great straw men of this board.

Draft location has relatively little to do with available useful players that Ainge has missed.

Anyone think DeAndre Jordan would look good on this roster?

I have more confidence in Ainge the trader than I do Ainge the drafter. He has done a good job recently, and I applaud the decision to turn the corner and start acquiring useful pieces for the future on the floor.

That's why I have some confidence in the rebuild: Ainge will not continue accumulating draft picks with the tear-down some people find so fascinating, nor will he try to use all of them in the draft.

Ainge has done a good job as a GM. He's not been a disappointment.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:59:51 AM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2015, 11:05:37 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Picks 27, 21, and 30

I have no problem with swinging for the fences on guys with elite defensive big man potential like those guys. Giddens was selected with the last pick in the first give Danny a break.

My only gripe with Ainge is the KO pick. I had really loved Dieng and Schroeder that year and then Giannis turned out great too. However, that is more of a personal preference as I hated KO's soft game and the fact that he looked like a PF when I already liked Sully a lot. I think in the end of the day KO wont be considered a bust either. So Ainge had done quite well.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2015, 11:14:09 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
This is one of the great straw men of this board.

That term does not mean what it thinks you mean. Statistics are not strawmen.

Draft location has relatively little to do with available useful players that Ainge has missed.

Yes, it does. It is a statistical fact that the better players in the NBA are overwhelmingly chosen from the top picks of the draft and the later you draft the less likely you are to wind up with a star or even a contributor. Trying to ignore that is ignoring reality.

Anyone think DeAndre Jordan would look good on this roster?

Now in terms of logical fallacies, this is what is called "cherry picking".

I have more confidence in Ainge the trader than I do Ainge the drafter. He has done a good job recently, and I applaud the decision to turn the corner and start acquiring useful pieces for the future on the floor.

That's why I have some confidence in the rebuild: Ainge will not continue accumulating draft picks with the tear-down some people find so fascinating, nor will he try to use all of them in the draft.

Ainge has done a good job as a GM. He's not been a disappointment.

Now with this I agree. Ainge the trader is pretty remarkable. But statistically, Ainge the drafter is pretty phenomenal when you take into account draft position and available players.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 11:23:12 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
here are some picks that panned out well that he blew  Marc Gasol 48- 2007. Millsap 47-2007, Giannis Antetokounmpo 15- 2013, Gordon Deing 21-2013 and about every guy the spurs have drafted since he took tenure.  Mason Plumlee 22-2013, Nikola Pekovi? 2-31 2008, Ömer A??k 2-36 2008, DeAndre Jordan 2 35 2006, 2-40 2005 Monta Ellis, 2-43 2004 Trevor Ariza.   but as one can see if one looks past the surface there are all kinds of guys Ainge missed on too.  I think this more than demonstrates that he is not perfect as a drafter, no one is, but this is an area of weakness if he has one.

I posted this in another thread.   This is the hardest thing a GM has do, and no one gets it right all the time.  But there was some real talent left on the board by him.  Everyone of these guys we had a pick before them.

I love Ainge but no one is perfect, we are lucky to have him as a GM.

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2015, 11:27:08 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Wow just wow. If you think Danny is a bad GM then I don't think you know a lot about basketball.