Author Topic: Does anybody think that Danny Ainge has been a disappointing GM?  (Read 15641 times)

Offline Celtics#18

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I think Danny Ainge has been a let down as GM. In over ten years as GM the Celtics went to the finals twice and won 1 NBA championship title. Even if all star free agents is deemed as unrealistic for the Celtics to land a good GM still tries  his best(Danny Ainge has failed to do so). The Celtics have failed to land a young franchise player within his time as GM. Rondo isn't a frachise point guard; Russel Westbrook is, Derrick Rose is, Stephan Curry is, and ect.

What do you guys think about Danny Ainge performance as GM?

Re: Does anybody think that Danny Ainge has been a disappointing GM?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 05:59:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm very confused by this post.

Danny Ainge has brought the Celtics more championships than Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose and Stephen Curry combined.

A championship and another trip to the Finals is a very good run.  Since 1980, only 9 franchises have won a title.  That means that 21 have failed.  In a 10 year period, Danny not only put us in a position to win a championship, but he had us knocking on the door repeatedly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 06:00:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Pretty good GM. One of the best. Doing some very good things while being dealt not the best hand. 

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 06:02:14 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Ask the Nets if he's a disappointing GM lol... seriously saying Ainge is disappointing is like that rich kid who's disappointed he got a BMW on his birthday instead of a Ferrari... when that kid down the road is driving an old beat up Chevy (Billy King/Connelly, etc)

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 06:03:17 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
In what world Danny is a bad GM? Sure, I didn't like that he traded Rondo. But as time goes by the trade is getting better in every minute.

- Who thought Crowder would be very productive here as a C?
- He got Isaiah Thomas for peanuts!
- Robbed the Nets big time by trading an aging Pierce and KG.
- Flipped veteran guys like Nelson, Wright and Prince into assets and young players.

Grabbing a superstar player early on a rebuilding team is really unrealistic. I suggest you lower your expectation. Despite not having a superstar, this team is starting to get it.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 06:07:25 PM »

Offline Greenbeantown

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 3
In what world Danny is a bad GM? Sure, I didn't like that he traded Rondo. But as time goes by the trade is getting better in every minute.

- Who thought Crowder would be very productive here as a C?
- He got Isaiah Thomas for peanuts!
- Robbed the Nets big time by trading an aging Pierce and KG.
- Flipped veteran guys like Nelson, Wright and Prince into assets and young players.

Grabbing a superstar player early on a rebuilding team is really unrealistic. I suggest you lower your expectation. Despite not having a superstar, this team is starting to get it.

Totally agree

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 06:09:59 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
it's ALL about KG's Knee injury---it doesn't happen....and Ainge gets 3 Rings most likely.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 06:10:01 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I think Danny Ainge has been a let down as GM. In over ten years as GM the Celtics went to the finals twice and won 1 NBA championship title. Even if all star free agents is deemed as unrealistic for the Celtics to land a good GM still tries  his best(Danny Ainge has failed to do so). The Celtics have failed to land a young franchise player within his time as GM. Rondo isn't a frachise point guard; Russel Westbrook is, Derrick Rose is, Stephan Curry is, and ect.

::)
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 06:33:23 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think Danny Ainge has been a let down as GM. In over ten years as GM the Celtics went to the finals twice and won 1 NBA championship title.

most gm's would call that a career and retire.

if i'm going to complain about anything about DA it's his infatuation with tweeners, small ball, and under-sized players. other than that he's a great gm.

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 06:36:05 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think Danny Ainge has been a let down as GM. In over ten years as GM the Celtics went to the finals twice and won 1 NBA championship title.

most gm's would call that a career and retire.

if i'm going to complain about anything about DA it's his infatuation with tweeners, small ball, and under-sized players. other than that he's a great gm.

Yeah that's hilarious.

And he has had one great rebuild and seems poised for another.  He's great.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 06:36:10 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
wow
take all the rebuttals and blend them
kg doesn't get hurt ainge does the impossible and we get 2-3 titles
he's turned bad contracts and draft picks into quality players
he's traded good vets, pierce, kg, rondo, green into amazing picks/assets
he has gotten guys off the scrap heap, crawford, turner etc
he traded a coach…a coach who isn't that good for a 1st rounder??????
brad stevens appears to be an amazing fit for what the celtics are moving towards
lastly turned up zeller, thomas, jebeko for peanuts

Danny has to be considered around the nba as a top tier gm

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 06:39:19 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel

If we were any other franchise besides the Celtics, this statement would be ridiculous. Think about it. Once every 3 years, we have a shot at a championship.

Can you imagine people routing for Charlotte, Toronto, or Sacramento saying something like this?

We're the Celtics. We're NBA royalty. And we have a super freaking entitled fan-base that has the possibility of suggesting that a shot at a NBA championship every 3 years is "Disappointing." 
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 06:47:10 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Ainge is far from the draft savant that many here pretend he is.

And his long-time fascination with 7-foot stiffs like Paddy O'Blount vexes me.

But his trades have been solid recently, especially the acquisition of IT.

Now, let's see what he can do in the trade market with the draft picks.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 06:48:26 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Rose is a shell of himself, and Curry/Westbrook has yet to win a ring yet.

This post only proves that sometimes our fanbase is way too self entitled to root for a team that hustles, and puts it out on the court. I'd rather watch this team than watch the team last year with Rondo as our point.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 06:51:19 PM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
I think Danny is one of the best GM´s in the league and that your reasoning is flawed heavily.
Winning 1 Championship in 10 is pretty good, considering there are 30 teams in the league. If you look at the outcome of just the last 10 years (Spurs3, Miami3, Lakers2, Dalas1, Boston1) we are ahead of 25 teams. He is also not bad at drafting (Rondo, Bradley, Sully) all late 1st Round picks and he is really great at making trades (Trade with Brooklyn was a homerun, Zeller/IT for basicly nothing). In addition, you usually don´t get a young franchise player while you are trying to contend, which we did for the most part of the time you are refering to. We are just in year 2 of the rebuild and I think he has done an exceptional job so far. I think we can be really lucky to have him as GM!