Author Topic: What were your top "in theater" movie "experiences"?  (Read 12510 times)

Re: What were your top "in theater" movie "experiences"?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 08:56:15 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
i dont tend to see that many movies in theaters so my list is very short. The Dark Knight as others have said and as 1 other person said Superbad. not sure why those 2 given 1 has a ton of quotes and the other doesn't really have any, maybe its who i saw them with?

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Back in the 70's .....me and my mate Jeff attended a then new horror show . Called

"It's Alive".     about a baby that eats people. .....hokie today..but very ahead of its time in the type.with shock effects.It was advertised as the demon child would make an appearance at some point in the movie.

House was packed..... There were three young 13-15 yr old black girls sitting in front of us.

They were all huddle up , shaking ,  squished down in their seats .....scared silly by the movie.....on pins and needles the whole time.

So......about half way , one of the most intense scene is unfolding .......the baby is about to attack

The theater is silent ...Erie silent....even pop corn crunches were missing.

I jumped out of my seat and grabbed all three girls with. Crazed baby cry ....gotta ya.....LOL

I think all three peed in their pants .....as nearly jumped out of them screaming to top of their lungs.

The whole theater broke out into a howl of laughter......my sides hurt I was laughing so hard.

What fun

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 09:38:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 09:40:49 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
i dont tend to see that many movies in theaters so my list is very short. The Dark Knight as others have said and as 1 other person said Superbad. not sure why those 2 given 1 has a ton of quotes and the other doesn't really have any, maybe its who i saw them with?

I think the beginning of Superbad is super strong and it's really good throughout.  There's lots of great lines and gags and they come really rapid fire at times.

Like I said with mine, I find just laughing at one joke with a ton of people creates a good feeling.  People you know and people you don't both.

Dark Knight was a good one for me too, just because it is such a strong movie.  In my opinion one of the very best action/thrillers ever, comic book movie aside.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 10:32:16 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
The movies I feel were coolest in the theatres are great comedies.  I think Team America, Anchorman, Old School, Superbad all stand out for me in my head where the theare was really dying laughing all together and it made it feel even more fun.

Some of those particular movies the first time you see them too... they killed me.  I remember laughing til I cried during the Team America theme song.

This is where I'm at. I probably only laugh out loud at something when I'm by myself maybe 2-3 times a year. Obviously, in a room with friends or at the movie theater the enjoyment of jokes is heightened. On the other hand, I've never really been someone who's felt much benefit from seeing stuff in IMAX or whatever state of the art thing is current. I'm perfectly content with watching my favorite action, Sci-FI or dramatic thrillers on a 27 inch TV in the comfort of my home by myself. I actually prefer it. The only exception to this would be that I loved the Omni Theatre at the BMOS as a kid, but those technically aren't really movies.

So anyways, if memory serves me correctly, I've never laughed harder at a movie than seeing Napoleon Dynamite in the theatre with friends and strangers.

Compounding that you can only experience a joke for the first time once, and seeing it with other people, I'll never laugh or enjoy any comedy as much as the first time seeing it at the movie theatre.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 03:15:04 AM by Nerf DPOY »

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 09:52:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Armageddon, too. That was an excellent movie experience.
Loved it. Great example

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 10:03:30 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
The l978 Superman movie starring Christopher Reeve.  It was the first movie I had been to that the audience was so much into it that they were actually cheering Superman on and booing the bad guys...sort of like a sporting event!  Great fun.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 10:14:08 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Braveheart made me almost come out of my seat.

When I was a kid, E.T. made me cry like no other movie has ever done.

A bit cheesier, but the original Red Dawn was an amazing crowd movie.

WOLVERINES!!!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 11:06:06 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
No order just random movies coming to mind
Close encounters of the third kind
Jaws
Schindlers list
Pulp fiction
Saving private ryan

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 12:26:09 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Gravity and Avatar are the only movies I've seen where the 3-D actually added to the movie experience.  I usually find it to be an unnecessary nuisance.

I saw both The Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity in packed theatres right when they came out.  There's something about watching a good scary movie in a packed house.

I don't think I've laughed more at a movie than when I saw Borat in the theatre.

I saw the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre at a midnight screening 4-5 years ago.  Beforehand the crowd was really rowdy.  At the end of the movie you could hear a pin drop.  That movie does not mess around.

Also got to see Alien at a midnight movie.  So glad I got to see that on a big screen.

Thin Red Like was amazing in a theatre setting.  So many beautiful, powerful images.  Love that movie.

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 12:26:58 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Sin City comes to kind as a visually provocative (not just because of Jessica Alba) film.

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 12:50:36 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Good call. Sin City was a blast on the big screen.

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 02:11:07 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The most striking visual change from what came before was easily the original Star Wars. Saw it numerous times in various states of consciousness.

The first Indiana Jones was a hoot in a special packed sneak preview that my wife snagged tickets to. Comedies were Animal House and There's Something About Mary, both of which were in packed houses that were roaring. Saw Something About Mary in Rhode Island which added to the atmosphere. Same with seeing the first 2 Godfather movies in Providence, a heavily Italian-American area with a strong mafia presense where/when I grew up. By the same token seeing The Blues Brothers in Chicago when it came out added to the packed house atmosphere.

LOTR, Sin City, and 300 were all pretty inventive, but CGI was pretty established by that point. LOTR had a huge following before it became a film, so interest was intense.  Gravity was very good as a visual experience too, but I liked the theme too. Avatar was good for 3D, but it's just OK as a movie. The Hobbit series is just overdone.

As far as original/unique screenwriting and editing, Memento attracted a lot of film buffs. Unique gimmick film, but well done. Put me on to Nolan as did Blood Simple for the Coen Brothers which was a great debut. As far as horror/murder/monster, Psycho, Aliens, Jaws had everyone in packed houses edgy as hell. Psycho was groundbreaking for its time and the women would scream and scream.

There's a lot of powerful films I've seen as opposed to the fun theatre experiences above, but that's another thread.

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 06:00:26 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Most recently, Interstellar and Inception in IMAX. Just phenomenal in every way. So much so that I went to both of them twice. Even with Blu-Ray, a 65" UHDTV and a Bose setup, it does not quite compare to seeing them the first time in IMAX.

I'll never forget the audience's reaction to The Departed when *spoiler alert* Martin Sheen's and Leo Dicaprio's characters died. Audible gasps all around. You could also sense everyone's relief when Matt Damon was finally busted by Marky-Mark.

By far the movie with the most laughter was There's Something About Mary. Everyone had good laughs throughout.

Batman (1989) was amazing at the time. Keaton and Nicholson were just so good.

A classic I would like to see in the theater sometime (perhaps my all-time favorite movie):

I would imagine those of you who saw it in the theater were just awe struck.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 06:52:37 AM by meangreenmachine »

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 12:09:35 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Saw it with 3 buddies and a fifth of Jack.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.