Author Topic: Concert Discussion  (Read 19275 times)

Re: Concert Discussion
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I saw a few people mention J Geils.  I’m going to see Peter Wolf and his current band this Sunday at a small venue in Truro on Cape Cod.  If you’re looking for a fun trip check out the Payomet Centers schedule and come see a show there.  They get some great acts there and it’s a unique venue (on an abandoned Air Force base by Cape Cod National Seashore.
Hey Redz, I know the place, we vacation in Truro every year.  They've had Arlo Guthrie, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, others.  Ever been to the Beachcomber in Wellfleet?  It's a bit of a college crowd, but I saw State Radio there and stood right next to the stage.  My wife was doing photography for the show.

Seen a bunch of fun shows at Payomet.  Los Lobos twice, English Beat, Graham Nash...

and yes, I'm a little past the "Comba" stage of my life, but it's a fun place to see a show.  They get some good acts.  Last time I was there I saw the "Baseball Project" which has a couple of members of REM in it.  They sing songs about baseball, which sounds kinda weird, but they make it work.  There were maybe 30 people in the crowd.  They played a couple of REM tunes at the end. 

Also saw the Old 97's there within the last 10 years.

The place darn near fell into the ocean last winter.  It's going to happen sooner or later (probably sooner).

Where do you go in Truro?

Yeah, next time there's a big winter storm, the Comba will wash out to sea.

In Truro, we stay at a campground within walking distance of the ocean beach.

« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2018, 10:49:58 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I saw a few people mention J Geils.  I’m going to see Peter Wolf and his current band this Sunday at a small venue in Truro on Cape Cod.  If you’re looking for a fun trip check out the Payomet Centers schedule and come see a show there.  They get some great acts there and it’s a unique venue (on an abandoned Air Force base by Cape Cod National Seashore.
Hey Redz, I know the place, we vacation in Truro every year.  They've had Arlo Guthrie, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, others.  Ever been to the Beachcomber in Wellfleet?  It's a bit of a college crowd, but I saw State Radio there and stood right next to the stage.  My wife was doing photography for the show.

Seen a bunch of fun shows at Payomet.  Los Lobos twice, English Beat, Graham Nash...

and yes, I'm a little past the "Comba" stage of my life, but it's a fun place to see a show.  They get some good acts.  Last time I was there I saw the "Baseball Project" which has a couple of members of REM in it.  They sing songs about baseball, which sounds kinda weird, but they make it work.  There were maybe 30 people in the crowd.  They played a couple of REM tunes at the end. 

Also saw the Old 97's there within the last 10 years.

The place darn near fell into the ocean last winter.  It's going to happen sooner or later (probably sooner).

Where do you go in Truro?

Yeah, next time there's a big winter storm, the Comba will wash out to sea.

In Truro, we stay at a campground within walking distance of the ocean beach.

Nice.

I made it about halfway through Peter Wolf the other night.  He sounded fine, I just had too much going on in my brain and couldn't really focus on the music.  I was there volunteering for the booth for WOMR, so it was a freebie sho (or I would have stayed).

Stopped at a beach in Wellfleet on the way home.  Watched the waves crashing under a full moon while sitting on a lifeguard chair.  Better for the brain than Peter Wolf!
Yup

« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2018, 11:02:33 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP for even getting a ticket for the Synchronicity tour.  those tickets were gone in a flash. 

also can't believe anyone else saw a show at the Campus Club.  Saw The Fools opening for John Valby there.

John Valby!  Good lord that’s a blast from the past.  My brother had a boot leg tape of one of his shows that we wore out.  “Roll Your Leg Over”  ;D

I remember walking into the campus club as a 19 year old kid and thinking “Wow, this is a really poorly designed building.  If there was ever a fire, a lot of people would die.” To get into the place you needed to make your way back and forth down three or four parallel hallways before entering one huge open space.

Within a few years there was the tragic Great White show fire at a similar venue in Providence. 
I didn't count Valby as a 'concert' but I've seen him about 6-7 times which would be more than anyone else.

I remember the night of the Station Nightclub fire.  My brother was into Great White and was trying to reach him for about an hour that night to find out if he went.  Pretty tense as you can imagine only to find out he was out but not at that show.   I don't think there was anyone in RI that was more than a step removed from knowing someone in that tragedy.   Knew a coworker that died, another coworker that lost a brother-in-law as well as 2 cousins (through marriage) as well as another coworker who's brother survived but with some serious burns.  truly a tragic night.
I knew a couple that died there and my son's teacher had third degree burns over 75% of his body. I lived in far eastern Coventry at the time and heard the sirens all night. And that video they showed on channel 10 was disgusting and horrifying. You can see the whole video on YouTube.
my condolences on your loss Nick.  the video that was broadcast was pretty graphic and the sounds coming from the people trying to get out was horrific