Author Topic: I think IT eventually wants to be a starter  (Read 3639 times)

I think IT eventually wants to be a starter
« on: March 06, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
I don't think he's going to rock the boat just yet though.

Boston Celtics ?@celtics  49m49 minutes ago
Stevens on his convo w/ Thomas re: not starting: "Starting is not the end all be all. Being a really important part of a team is important."

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach  ·  26m 26 minutes ago
Just caught up with Isaiah Thomas, who clearly would like to start. "Hopefully one day that time will come."

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach  ·  25m 25 minutes ago
More Isaiah Thomas on not starting: "[Stevens] is just happy with how things have been so far, and that’s the coach. He makes the decisions"

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach  ·  21m 21 minutes ago
Isaiah Thomas did say being in at the end of games is more important than starting, and it's been made clear to him that he'll be in at end.

Re: I think IT eventually wants to be a starter
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I don't think he's going to rock the boat just yet though.

Boston Celtics ?@celtics  49m49 minutes ago
Stevens on his convo w/ Thomas re: not starting: "Starting is not the end all be all. Being a really important part of a team is important."

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach  ·  26m 26 minutes ago
Just caught up with Isaiah Thomas, who clearly would like to start. "Hopefully one day that time will come."

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach  ·  25m 25 minutes ago
More Isaiah Thomas on not starting: "[Stevens] is just happy with how things have been so far, and that’s the coach. He makes the decisions"

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach  ·  21m 21 minutes ago
Isaiah Thomas did say being in at the end of games is more important than starting, and it's been made clear to him that he'll be in at end.

That's something he's going to have to come to peace with. His size and defense really limits him as a starter, but he's an excellent sparkplug off of the bench.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 07:57:08 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
Smart has earned the starting spot with his defense.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 08:07:52 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I'm fine with Smart starting, and I don't in any way mean this as a criticism of you, but just posing a question: How come good defense earns a starting spot, but subpar offense doesn't cost you a starting spot?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 08:19:36 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I'm fine with Smart starting, and I don't in any way mean this as a criticism of you, but just posing a question: How come good defense earns a starting spot, but subpar offense doesn't cost you a starting spot?

I think it's because good defense  is harder to come by, making it a more valuable tool.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 08:20:22 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I think it's because good defense  is harder to come by, making it a more valuable tool.

Good theory. I'll buy it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 09:08:31 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Story of IT's career.

I love the guy, but if he's playing 25+ minutes a game and on the court during crunch time, I really hope that'd satisfy him.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 09:11:41 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

We had a good defender at pg, and he could rebound and pass too. Being a complete player is what matters and Smart shows the potential to be more complete that IT who is a perfect bench guy.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 11:04:47 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Having Thomas as the sixth man who finishes the game is like Ali's rope a dope.

Lull them into thinking it's going to be easy and then bam...hit them with Thomas at the end.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 11:16:49 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
He is a starter-material, just CBS wants to make him the 6th man.

But as he says, it's who/what closes is important than starting. And IT is definitely one of the important closers. He's like our Paul Pierce guy? Or is that too soon to discuss lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 11:45:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He wont start. Like the pelicans announcer said , IT is a scorer. If he starts, the other guys might not get invovled on offense

perfect 6th man type player

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 12:22:55 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
6th man is a way of making coming of the bench sound better in some ways. Most players would want to start. I don't see it being in the plan with the present line up. 

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 12:32:10 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
We have had 4 HOFers be the 6th man (Ramsey, Hondo, McHale, and Walton, though Walton was not a step up from the player he was replacing).  Red invented the concept. 

Fits Thomas especially well as he'll be fresher when the 4th quarter rolls around and he's a closer.

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 12:35:39 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Toucher and Rich @Toucherandrich
Westbrook scoring leader at 27.4 PPG. RT @ByJayKing: Since joining the Celtics, Isaiah Thomas is averaging 28.1 points per 36 minutes.

Jay King @ByJayKing 06 Mar 11:20 ET
How good has Isaiah Thomas been in 4th? Over 59 4th-quarter minutes with the Celtics, he has scored 61 points with 70.5% true shooting.

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 01:50:02 AM »

Offline ViolentGhandi

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
I think its a better position for IT too to come of the bench and ignite the offence. Thats what the team was lacking early in the season. A guy who create for his own to score as well as to create room for his team mates.

I think if you run him as starter you might wear him down and the team needs him to be fresh at crunch time. If he starts his shooting percentage might suffer a tiny fraction. It takes the other guys partly out of the game and its not the type offence BS wants to run. Having all the guys involved on offence makes it harder for the opponent to find the recipy to stop the C's offence.

I mean I like IT a lot but if opponents know our sceme truout the game he will have a harder time to shine and at nights he is off his dominace on offence will make him the guy who is blamed for losses. If everything goes bad and the team is goin on a losing streak he will end up in the middle of discussion. Ppl will call him a ball hog, a volume shooter..... we all know the routine.

He is shooting 20+ ppg right now since he is in green but his impact at the end of games cleary outweights his total scoring as he is the only guy on the team to get us going at the end of games when the speed of the game slows down and our offence gets stagnant. He has a very important role in the team and his aim should allways be to win games and not to get as close to 48 mpg as possible. Ginobli made a living comming of the bench beeing the 6th man and IT might be even better suited for that role.

Also I think its not too hard for him to fall into line on a team that is packed with guys who really show spirit on both ends. I think it can be a lot of fun to play at this team and with this crowd behind them. He could have ended up in a much worse spot than he is now and I think he knows that too.