Author Topic: Awesome Grantland Article on Towns and Stein  (Read 5942 times)

Awesome Grantland Article on Towns and Stein
« on: March 06, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/karl-anthony-and-cauley-stein-kentuckys-two-headed-monster-is-the-future-of-the-nba/

Read this to get really excited about this draft. I'm all in for drafting WCS. I think he'd fit perfectly with our core, especially if we could get one of the wings in free agency this year.

I've always liked Towns over Okafor given his two-way potential, but given our likely draft spot I think WCS would be a hell of a get for us if we can snag him.

Re: Awesome Grantland Article on Towns and Stein
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 03:52:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
March 6th, 2015 -- Grantland discovers Rim Protectors.

WCS is falling to us? That article seems pretty laudatory of him.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 04:22:11 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
March 6th, 2015 -- Grantland discovers Rim Protectors.

WCS is falling to us? That article seems pretty laudatory of him.

It depends on what mock you look at.

I think you rule out NY, LA, Philly, and Minny right off of the bat due to them being in the top 4 pre-lottery order set, because they'll take Okafor, Towns, Mudiay, and Russell in the top 4.

At this point, that leaves Orlando, Sacramento, Denver, Detroit, and Utah in front of us, and I can't really see any of them wasting their pick on WCS given the fact that they already have a franchise center, or at least a good enough center to build around.

Some mocks have Sacramento taking WCS, because some have claimed that they think DMC should be a 4 instead of a 5. I find that to be an incredibly stupid decision, because he's already dominating at the 5. So why fix something that isn't broken?

However, given Sacramento's management and the fact that he has been so touted lately, it wouldn't surprise me if he did get picked before us and we had to try and make a deal for him.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 04:24:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Though I also fully expect for WCS' agent to try and steer him to Boston given our inevitable interest and the amount of playing time he'll get here. Hopefully he'll refuse workouts for everyone but us!

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 04:33:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Admittedly, It's a Friday afternoon but Cousins at the 4 doesn't make any sense to me.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 04:50:11 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
If Cauley Stein is available when we pick it's going to be tough to turn him down.

I can't see how Danny can turn him down either if it's at number 7 or 8 considering how badly wishes he'd taken DeAndre Jordan in the draft. WCS, well he'd be an easy top 5 pick in most drafts.

Our only problem is that other GM's of Danny's era know that drafting a guy who gives you 75% of what Jordan gives you would be an awesome result for your franchises playoff efforts in the long run and that's why I think he's going top 7, MAYBE he slides to 8, but he's just too good a combination of defensive awareness+size+athleticism.

I mean people are advocating signing DeAndre Jordan this summer...to me WCS is the second coming of DeAndre Jordan except that he actually has offensive potential, he's not as long as Jordan but he makes up for it with athleticism and natural defensive awareness- He's grown up watching DA as his doppelganger/inspiration and seen that being a rim protector in the NBA is being a rare, valuable commodity.
He's like a coordinated, defensively aware Ryan Hollins but he's in college and only just brushing the surface of offensive potential,

Height
DA 6'11"
WCS 7' 0.5"

Wingspan
DA 7'6"
WCS 7'2"

standing reach
DA 9'5.5"
WCS 9'2"

Max vertical
DA 30.5'
WCS 37'

Max no step verticle
DA 26'
WCS 31'

If he's our pick I'd be one happy tanker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hOZzBsofrU
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 05:36:08 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
That article wasn't awesome... It just made me feel terrible because the Celtics likely won't be in a position to get either of them.

Well written, maybe, but definitely not awesome.  :P

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 05:42:48 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I want to see WCS and Smart playing defense on the same team. With Bradley and Crowder.

..picturing that lineup just made me laugh so hard I snorted.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 06:17:14 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Well if we keep winning these games, we won't end up with any of these guys. So let's get the tank on..

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 06:57:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Well if we keep winning these games, we won't end up with any of these guys. So let's get the tank on..

that ship has sailed celts got 25 wins with 23 left...... just enjoy the guys playing hard and the cards will fall where they fall...

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 07:08:30 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I want to see WCS and Smart playing defense on the same team. With Bradley and Crowder.

..picturing that lineup just made me laugh so hard I snorted.
With that lineup, Bradley would end up taking 40 shots a game. 

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 07:26:50 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
If Cauley Stein is available when we pick it's going to be tough to turn him down.

I can't see how Danny can turn him down either if it's at number 7 or 8 considering how badly wishes he'd taken DeAndre Jordan in the draft. WCS, well he'd be an easy top 5 pick in most drafts.

Our only problem is that other GM's of Danny's era know that drafting a guy who gives you 75% of what Jordan gives you would be an awesome result for your franchises playoff efforts in the long run and that's why I think he's going top 7, MAYBE he slides to 8, but he's just too good a combination of defensive awareness+size+athleticism.

I mean people are advocating signing DeAndre Jordan this summer...to me WCS is the second coming of DeAndre Jordan except that he actually has offensive potential, he's not as long as Jordan but he makes up for it with athleticism and natural defensive awareness- He's grown up watching DA as his doppelganger/inspiration and seen that being a rim protector in the NBA is being a rare, valuable commodity.
He's like a coordinated, defensively aware Ryan Hollins but he's in college and only just brushing the surface of offensive potential,

Height
DA 6'11"
WCS 7' 0.5"

Wingspan
DA 7'6"
WCS 7'2"

standing reach
DA 9'5.5"
WCS 9'2"

Max vertical
DA 30.5'
WCS 37'

Max no step verticle
DA 26'
WCS 31'

If he's our pick I'd be one happy tanker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hOZzBsofrU

Look at that vertical difference! Imagine what WCS can do if he's that much more athletic in his vertical than DJ.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 07:29:02 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

that ship has sailed celts got 25 wins with 23 left...... just enjoy the guys playing hard and the cards will fall where they fall...

I still think we could combine picks or use our assets to get him even if we aren't in the top 8 or so, especially since everyone below us doesn't really have a need for a purely defensive-minded 5 like WCS.

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 07:52:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I still think we could combine picks or use our assets to get him even if we aren't in the top 8 or so, especially since everyone below us doesn't really have a need for a purely defensive-minded 5 like WCS.

I think it will take trading KO or Sully and our pick to move up ......there will be no mercy for DA ....they ll rake him over the coals to move up to get WCS.   All I m say n be prepared to say goodbye to a good player or two.  It might even take Young plus KO to get that pick .

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 08:00:27 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I think it will take trading KO or Sully and our pick to move up ......there will be no mercy for DA ....they ll rake him over the coals to move up to get WCS.   All I m say n be prepared to say goodbye to a good player or two.  It might even take Young plus KO to get that pick .

I think Sully and KO are redundant anyways, so I'd be ok with that. Young would be harder to let go of.