Author Topic: Our roster vs. Utah's roster  (Read 5912 times)

Our roster vs. Utah's roster
« on: March 06, 2015, 02:24:16 PM »

Offline truth4lyfe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
Setting aside future draft picks, coaching and management, all clear wins for Boston, whose roster is better ours or Utah's?

My Player Ranks

1. Gobert
2. Hayward
3. Smart
4. Favors
5. Sully
6. Thomas
7. Bradey
8. Exum
9. KO
10. Young

The celtics play hard and are likable, but we still need some high-end talents. I trust Ainge to get it done sooner rather than later.

Re: Our roster vs. Utah's roster
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 02:32:38 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I'd move Thomas up, because he is better at his natural role (6th man) than Sully and Favors are at their natural roles (starting PF).  Gobert and Hayward are both huge pieces, though.  If we could somehow merge our two teams it would be a real up and comer.  Also, Trey Burke would be like 8th on that list.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 02:36:48 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Utah's roster is better.

We have a better coach.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 02:41:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Setting aside future draft picks, coaching and management, all clear wins for Boston, whose roster is better ours or Utah's?

My Player Ranks

1. Gobert
2. Hayward
3. Smart
4. Favors
5. Sully
6. Thomas
7. Bradey
8. Exum
9. KO
10. Young

The celtics play hard and are likable, but we still need some high-end talents. I trust Ainge to get it done sooner rather than later.

Is this based on future production or current skill. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think Bass is a better player than KO at the moment.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Exum should be much higher and Hood is probably better than Young as of right now. As has been said, we have a far superior coach.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 02:46:21 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
Exum should be much higher and Hood is probably better than Young as of right now. As has been said, we have a far superior coach.

We have a better coach, but despite the fact that he looks like a disgruntled businessman who is about to go on an axe murdering spree, Quinn Snyder is a very good coach.  He's one of the better new coaches out there.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 02:48:04 PM »

Offline truth4lyfe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2

Hood, and almost every other NBA player, is definitely better right now, but my rankings are based on future projections. Young is still 19, so I'm being patient with him.

How high would you rank Exum? I haven't seen enough of him to be overly excited about his future.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 02:52:27 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

We have a better coach, but despite the fact that he looks like a disgruntled businessman who is about to go on an axe murdering spree, Quinn Snyder is a very good coach.  He's one of the better new coaches out there.

He's good, and maybe the Kanter distraction has held him back, but he's had a lot of talent for quite some time and the Jazz haven't even sniffed the playoffs. Yes, they're playing in the West, but how good would they really be in the East. I look at a team like Milwaukee as a similar leaguewide benchmark for Utah based on on-paper talent, and don't think they'd be as good as Milwaukee has been in an admittedly weak East.

What Stevens has done with this rollercoaster of a roster is real. He's building a culture that guys are starting to want to be a part of. No, we weren't the winners of a midseason "Decision," but JaVale McGee's interest in us should signal to fans that players are taking notice around the league what Stevens has done for Evan Turner, Crowder, Zeller, etc. What could he do with a borderline star like Reggie Jackson or Greg Monroe, or Quin Snyder's Gordon Hayward? A borderline superstar like DeMarcus Cousins? Let's hope we will soon find out, either through the development of Smart and Young among others, or through the acquisition of one of those players.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 02:55:43 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Favors over Smart, for now at least.

Utah has much more potential on paper (and talent) but it doesn't seem to translate to wins. Again on paper I see them as better than us but it doesn't show.

Regardless, both teams are not winning it all with the current roster but have excellent role players to pair with a star or to trade away for one.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 02:56:54 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

Hood, and almost every other NBA player, is definitely better right now, but my rankings are based on future projections. Young is still 19, so I'm being patient with him.

How high would you rank Exum? I haven't seen enough of him to be overly excited about his future.

I'm a huge fan of Sully and think Favors still has some untapped potential, but I can't stomach seeing Exum multiple spots below them. If you're factoring in projections as you say, a guy who has the ceiling that Exum does should probably be in the top 4.

I know Celtics fans think Smart is different in that he does all the little things to make them think he at least has a very high floor, but I'm sure if we all watched Exum every night we'd be oohing and aahing at a couple highlights on a weekly basis too. Both need substantially more time if they're going to become what they could be.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 03:26:09 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
In a vacuum I'd take their roster over ours for sure, if we're not gonna count anything else.

Talented big men are hard to find in this league. They have both front-court spots set for the future with Gobert and Favors. Gobert is just an animal. He has DPOY candidate written all over him. Finding a C to anchor your defense who's that good at that age is HUGE. And Favors is developing well now too. Good defender, solid offensive output, still improving. A better player than Sully, that's for sure.

Utah's roster has things we lack. We need a defensive minded presence down low and a wing who can score, create and at least be average on D. They have Gobert, Favors and Haywood, all guys whom if we had them would make this team considerably better. Now, they need back-court help which is our strength. It's still too early, but that Exum over Smart pick looks worse by the day. I like Trey Burke off the bench, Burks has a place in the league. Considering our SF situation I wouldn't mind having Hood. All in all I like the Cs outlook better in the long term, but Utah has the better roster for a rebuild today.

If I was doing that 10 it might be like
Gobert
Haywood
Smart
Favors
Thomas
Sullinger
Bradley
KO
Young
Burke/Hood

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 03:31:08 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker

He's good, and maybe the Kanter distraction has held him back, but he's had a lot of talent for quite some time and the Jazz haven't even sniffed the playoffs. Yes, they're playing in the West, but how good would they really be in the East. I look at a team like Milwaukee as a similar leaguewide benchmark for Utah based on on-paper talent, and don't think they'd be as good as Milwaukee has been in an admittedly weak East.

What Stevens has done with this rollercoaster of a roster is real. He's building a culture that guys are starting to want to be a part of. No, we weren't the winners of a midseason "Decision," but JaVale McGee's interest in us should signal to fans that players are taking notice around the league what Stevens has done for Evan Turner, Crowder, Zeller, etc. What could he do with a borderline star like Reggie Jackson or Greg Monroe, or Quin Snyder's Gordon Hayward? A borderline superstar like DeMarcus Cousins? Let's hope we will soon find out, either through the development of Smart and Young among others, or through the acquisition of one of those players.

Quinn Snyder is a first year head coach and was in Atlanta last year.  The year before that he was in Moscow.  He's the real deal

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 03:35:46 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

My Player Ranks

1. Gobert
2. Hayward
3. Smart
4. Favors
5. Sully
6. Thomas
7. Bradey
8. Exum
9. KO
10. Young

Is this based on future production or current skill. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think Bass is a better player than KO at the moment.

That's what I'm wondering, too, and that's always going to be a hard comparison in potential vs. current abilities.

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 05:03:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I would rather have a core of Exum, Hayward, Favors and Gobert to build around than what the Celtics roster has to offer. However, the Celtics have far more picks and avenues open to them to improve their team over the next few years and I expect the Celtics to better team 4-5 years from now because of that.

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 05:26:08 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

McGee was interested because he thought he was going to get a player option for next year.  If he really wanted to play here, he would have signed without getting it. 

I really don't understand all the praise for Stevens.  He does have the team playing hard.  However I don't see where there has been much individual player development.  Turner is the same as he was in Philly except for being force fit into the PG role.  Crowder is just getting more playing time.  Stevens should have started Zeller sooner.  Sully should be focused on his interior game not shooting 3s.  Stevens couldn't motivate Sully to be better conditioned.  Maybe next year being a contract year will do so.  Smart should be driving the lane more and learning how to post up smaller guards.  Young's defense still sucks.