Poll

Would you still have pulled the trigger on a Love trade last summer knowing what you know now?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Losing out on Kevin Love last summer a blessing?  (Read 11004 times)

Re: Losing out on Kevin Love last summer a blessing?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 03:24:01 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I'm probably in the minority, but

I didn't like Love last summer, and I hope we don't go after him this summer. He is offensively polished, but he doesn't play the defense I want. (minor critique)

and, more importantly, He doesn't approach the game with the seriousness I want from a star Celtic. I want the KG, Smart, Pierce intensity. I don't want the Lebron/Love-esq lackadaisical Im-amazing-and-I-dont-need-to-try bull****.

I want my Celtic stars to eat, sleep, breathe, and bleed basketball and competition. I want the killer instinct. I want the anger. I want the fire.

and Love doesn't have that and never will.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:01:57 PM by positivitize »
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 04:07:01 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I didn't like love last summer, and I hope we don't go after him this summer. He is offensively polished, but he doesn't play the defense I want. (minor critique)

and, more importantly, He doesn't approach the game with the seriousness I want from a star Celtic. I want the KG, Smart, Pierce intensity. I don't want the Lebron/Love-esq lackadaisical Im-amazing-and-I-dont-need-to-try bull****.

I want my Celtic stars to eat, sleep, breathe, and bleed basketball and competition. I want the killer instinct. I want the anger. I want the fire.

It is a different era now.  Stars want to team up with each other.  They're concerned about their commercial deals and social media presence.  I'd love to see some younger stars pickup the mantle from KG, Pierce, Kobe but I don't see it happening.   

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 04:21:46 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think it comes down to whether you feel after being traded, each of Love, Rondo and Green have looked worse for there new teams and that's how they would have played for us this year if the trade for Love had happened.

personally, I think Love would have put up similar numbers to what he did in Minny, Rondo probably would have played with more focus/effort with the team on the upswing and Green, well, he'd have been Jeff Green.
I don't think it would be enough to make much noise in the playoffs (which we would have made without question).  I don't look at what we received from the Rondo/Green deals as justification for not making the Love trade.  The money the 3 of them would be making next year would be significant but based on Danny's penchant for trading, I think he could have gotten a couple more solid players to put around those 3 that would help. 

In the end, if the deal was KO/Sully, #6 (Smart) and let's say a Brooklyn first, I'd probably have done it.  Much rather be trying to get better than hope to get lucky in the draft to improve.
Offensively, Rondo, Green and Love would have been a good fit.  Green wouldn't have to be the #1 option.  With Love's defensive rebounding and great outlet passing, Green would have a lot of fast break opportunities.  Rondo would obviously benefit having a shooter like Love and Love would benefit from Rondo's passing.  The big issue would be defense.  You'd really need to go hard after Jordan or Hibbert. 

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 04:25:23 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76

I didn't like love last summer, and I hope we don't go after him this summer. He is offensively polished, but he doesn't play the defense I want. (minor critique)

It is a different era now.  Stars want to team up with each other.  They're concerned about their commercial deals and social media presence.  I'd love to see some younger stars pickup the mantle from KG, Pierce, Kobe but I don't see it happening.   

Such a tired and old narrative. Stars have always teamed up with each other for a better chance to win titles.

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 04:49:57 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I really did not think Love was a good fit with the Rondo, Green situation at that time. I like players that defend, and defend hard. That's what wins championships. IMO Love's numbers with Minnesota we're really inflated because the team was so bad. Love is noted for soft defense, he's uses all his energy on the O side of the ball. 

Green is also not an energetic defender either, in fact he doesn't show up some nights period, offense or defense.

We all know what the attitude of Rondo is and was.

My feelings are if we did get Love and tried to rebuild on the fly, we would still be fighting to get into the playoffs, as we are now.   

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 04:52:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Such a tired and old narrative. Stars have always teamed up with each other for a better chance to win titles.

Stars have not always teamed up with each other like they do now and there are a lot of reasons for it. The biggest is changes in salary cap structure and maximums on rookie deals.

Check out this article on the contracts being handed out in 1993

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1993-10-24/sports/9310230427_1_salary-cap-johnson-s-contract-league-s-coaches

When a guy was signed to an 8 (or crazy, 12) year contract he couldn't switch teams every few years unless he was traded. That is why it was really rare to see a peak NBA star switch teams multiple times in their prime (like Lebron has twice). If Lebron had been under a 10 year contract it is a lot harder to see him convincing Cleveland to trade him, and if they did it wouldn't be a team that he chose that wouldn't be wiped out by the trade. So the super friends team in Miami with 3 stars in their 20s choosing to play together was really unprecented.

What has happened for a lot longer is stars switching teams at the end of their career when they were no longer under massive contracts and weren't quite as good. Examples of this would be Drexler joining the Dream and Houston (and later Barkley)

Or the Blazers getting washed up versions of Kemp, Pippin and others.

Malone and the glove joining the Lakers would be another example of this.

You could argue the Celtics may have started this movement, and a lot of people do, but I thought those guys were all in their 30's when it happened.

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 06:27:21 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Stars have not always teamed up with each other like they do now and there are a lot of reasons for it. The biggest is changes in salary cap structure and maximums on rookie deals.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1993-10-24/sports/9310230427_1_salary-cap-johnson-s-contract-league-s-coaches

When a guy was signed to an 8 (or crazy, 12) year contract he couldn't switch teams every few years unless he was traded. That is why it was really rare to see a peak NBA star switch teams multiple times in their prime (like Lebron has twice). If Lebron had been under a 10 year contract it is a lot harder to see him convincing Cleveland to trade him, and if they did it wouldn't be a team that he chose that wouldn't be wiped out by the trade. So the super friends team in Miami with 3 stars in their 20s choosing to play together was really unprecented.

What has happened for a lot longer is stars switching teams at the end of their career when they were no longer under massive contracts and weren't quite as good. Examples of this would be Drexler joining the Dream and Houston (and later Barkley)

You could argue the Celtics may have started this movement, and a lot of people do, but I thought those guys were all in their 30's when it happened.

Your argument is that the evolution of the CBA explains today's player movement, so are you saying stars of the past would do the same thing if management style promoted it? If that's the case, how can you use today's stars teaming up as indictment on their character, resiliency, what have you in comparison to stars of the past?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 06:51:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Your argument is that the evolution of the CBA explains today's player movement, so are you saying stars of the past would do the same thing if management style promoted it? If that's the case, how can you use today's stars teaming up as indictment on their character, resiliency, what have you in comparison to stars of the past?

I think you are confusing me with other posters (or maybe I am confused). I was just responding to the poster stating that star players have always been teaming up with each other. That was a false statement and I used the CBA to explain part (if not all) of the reason why. I don't think I said anything about the character or resilience of today's players versus stars of the past (other people did).

The point is you can't just say "it is always been like this" because it obviously hasn't....

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 07:05:41 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

I think you are confusing me with other posters (or maybe I am confused). I was just responding to the poster stating that star players have always been teaming up with each other. That was a false statement and I used the CBA to explain part (if not all) of the reason why. I don't think I said anything about the character or resilience of today's players versus stars of the past (other people did).

The point is you can't just say "it is always been like this" because it obviously hasn't....

Ah, I thought you were supporting the thoughts of the first few posters. I agree with your argument. If past players could move as easily as stars do today, it would have happened.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2015, 07:58:59 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I tend to think it was a fortunate non-get. Rondo had to leave to be exposed. If he had stayed his reputation would have been protected...

I'm not so sure about that.  I think he has been exposed badly this year both on the Cs and the Mavs.  He still is a talented guy but with/without Love there was 0% chance Danny was offering Rondo a max contract.

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2015, 08:55:26 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Probably so......in that we'd had to keep Rondo ......and by the looks of his impact on Mavs ,  and given the offensive scheme CBS runs ....a Rondo would have been a huge headache .

Like to have him NOW without Rondo.

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2015, 09:51:11 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I really did not think Love was a good fit with the Rondo, Green situation at that time. I like players that defend, and defend hard. That's what wins championships. IMO Love's numbers with Minnesota we're really inflated because the team was so bad. Love is noted for soft defense, he's uses all his energy on the O side of the ball. 

Green is also not an energetic defender either, in fact he doesn't show up some nights period, offense or defense.

My feelings are if we did get Love and tried to rebuild on the fly, we would still be fighting to get into the playoffs, as we are now.   

I think the same. I like where we are right now. Getting Towns or Stein in the Draft and a wing player. I think we need to offer Butler, Green and Leonard contracts to show were are serious. We probably will not get them but we show we want to win. Hopefully we can use the rondo trade exemption for something good. DA has my faith. I would love to see us move up and get Winslow or Jordan. I don't like Monroe so i hope we don't get him. I think Sully is going to catch fire like Barkley did back in the day.  :) ;) ;D ;D :) :)
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

I think the same. I like where we are right now. Getting Towns or Stein in the Draft and a wing player. I think we need to offer Butler, Green and Leonard contracts to show were are serious. We probably will not get them but we show we want to win. Hopefully we can use the rondo trade exemption for something good. DA has my faith. I would love to see us move up and get Winslow or Jordan. I don't like Monroe so i hope we don't get him. I think Sully is going to catch fire like Barkley did back in the day.  :) ;) ;D ;D :) :)

I hear you, except for the Sully thing, I don't feel Sully will catch fire, I think he will always be a tease, always have weight and injury issues. He'll loose weight this year to sign a contract for sure.
I like bigs that can defend and protect.

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 11:22:24 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Its all situational. I mean just because RR and Love are not playing super well now, doesn't mean that is just how they were going to play this year.

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2015, 11:47:38 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think Love would be putting up big numbers on our team.  There he is spacing the floor and can't really dominate the ball.  They are finding ways to use him and I think he will get better working within a system.  But I think if he was here and the focus of an offense (particularly a Stevens offense) he would be putting up numbers.

I do think he didn't play hard when I've watched him at times when he isn't getting the ball which I don't like but here he would be.

I think he's like a top 10 player not a top 5 like we wondered if he was.  But he's still young and still really good.

I am still interested in getting him if we could.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford