Poll

Would you still have pulled the trigger on a Love trade last summer knowing what you know now?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Losing out on Kevin Love last summer a blessing?  (Read 11002 times)

Re: Losing out on Kevin Love last summer a blessing?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 01:01:46 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The only asset I am REALLY impressed with is IT, and I think that DA could have gotten him at the trade deadline anyway. He would have been a great backup to rondo. In my eyes, Crowder and Jerebko are replaceable. It would have been nice to add Love to the mix. I would still have done it. Would definitely miss Marcus Smart, but I think Kevin Love would have had a longer lasting effect on Boston than Marcus Smart will.
TP.  Getting IT would have made even more sense if we had Rondo and Love and were trying to compete for a championship. 

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 01:10:10 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Great feedback so far everyone.  I just added a poll if you want to vote.

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 01:21:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think it comes down to whether you feel after being traded, each of Love, Rondo and Green have looked worse for there new teams and that's how they would have played for us this year if the trade for Love had happened.

personally, I think Love would have put up similar numbers to what he did in Minny, Rondo probably would have played with more focus/effort with the team on the upswing and Green, well, he'd have been Jeff Green.
I don't think it would be enough to make much noise in the playoffs (which we would have made without question).  I don't look at what we received from the Rondo/Green deals as justification for not making the Love trade.  The money the 3 of them would be making next year would be significant but based on Danny's penchant for trading, I think he could have gotten a couple more solid players to put around those 3 that would help. 

In the end, if the deal was KO/Sully, #6 (Smart) and let's say a Brooklyn first, I'd probably have done it.  Much rather be trying to get better than hope to get lucky in the draft to improve. 

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 01:25:02 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'm just happy that the organization has a clearer direction. The "wait for Rondo to be healthy and pretend Jeff Green is a top dog" game got really boring.
Ainge is keeping his options open and making good moves when they present themselves.  However the only direction I see is hope that CBS develops into a great NBA coach and somehow puts us back in championship contention.  There is nobody on the roster that I'd consider a core building block.  Our own draft picks are unlikely to land us a star so we've got to hope that the Nets really stink the next few years.   

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 01:27:49 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Another big factor in this question is also what the Celts can end up pulling this summer

For example, if DA can end up bringing Love here (doubtful) and then maybe can acquire a couple other pieces like Asik and Dragic, that ends up being a pretty good team as well and even better than a trio of what Rondo/Green/Love would've been.

In this instance, Smart moves to the 2, IT off the bench and Bradley becomes possible trade bait.

Maybe a sign and trade of Bradley or Isaish and pieces to Miami for Dragic.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:35:28 PM by gpap »

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 01:28:21 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Huge blessing. Rondo and Love are both watching their values diminish this season. Jeff Green too. Jeff started out averaging 20 ppg, and he's down to something much lower with Memphis.

Sort of an unfair evaluation. It would be crazy to think Jeff Green would go to Memphis and be expected to be a 20 ppg scorer. It's already an established offense. The Grizz didn't acquire Green to be their top scorer. 20 ppg would put Green as their top scorer.

Same goes with Love. He's now on team with James and Irving two all stars. His stats should go down.

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Huge blessing. Rondo and Love are both watching their values diminish this season. Jeff Green too. Jeff started out averaging 20 ppg, and he's down to something much lower with Memphis.

I'd certainly welcome all 3 players to the C's roster, but not at the $15-20M range each one was probably eyeing for Summer 2015 and beyond.

Rondo and Love have flaws that are too big. Green has the engine / focus problem, even though he has all the skills on paper.

Giving up major assets to over pay Love, over pay Rondo and possibly over pay Green would have been harsh for the franchise. All three of these guys are 3rd bananas or low grade 2nd bananas on a good night.

I think you are severely undervaluing and underrating Kevin Love.

He's a top 15 player in the league and only reason he's numbers have gone down is because he has to share the ball with Lebron and Kyrie.

Granted, maybe it wouldn't work if he was here with Rondo and Jeff Green but you see what Love is doing in Cleveland and how well they are playing

Surround Love with good players and he proves how good of a player he is (regardless if his "stats" have gone down.)

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 01:34:32 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I still wish we had Love. Sully/KO would be a small loss, knowing as we do that KO never really blossomed and Sully came down with a pretty serious, long-term-worrisome injury. Smart, obviously, is a big loss, but he hasn't shown any signs of being a future top-10 player like Love. And a player like James Young is just pocket change in a trade like this.

We'd be looking at a middle seed in the East and a chance to make a nice little playoff run. Then we'd be players in FA, especially if we let Rondo walk. We'd still have a lot of assets. I think that's a better situation than we're in now.

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 01:42:31 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
Kevin Love's Stats:

last year with Minny: 26.1 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 4.4 apg
this year with CLE:  17.0 ppg 10.2 rpg, 2.3 apg

KG Stats
Final year with Minny: 22.4 ppg, 12.8 rpg, 4.1 apg
First year with Boston: 18.8 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 3.4 apg

Very similar situations. Not many people said KG's value was diminishing when he came here. Look at the big picture!  ::)

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 01:44:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Great feedback so far everyone.  I just added a poll if you want to vote.

Voted, but the way it's written makes the assumption that we all would have made the trade (and I know some posters would not).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 01:50:35 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
One thing to consider is that I can't imagine Ainge would have been content with Green as the third best player on the team.  So it's hard to say without knowing what the other big move would be after Love.

Mike

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 01:59:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Kevin Love's Stats:

last year with Minny: 26.1 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 4.4 apg
this year with CLE:  17.0 ppg 10.2 rpg, 2.3 apg

KG Stats
Final year with Minny: 22.4 ppg, 12.8 rpg, 4.1 apg
First year with Boston: 18.8 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 3.4 apg

Very similar situations. Not many people said KG's value was diminishing when he came here. Look at the big picture!  ::)

I think it is more about the drop in points and rebounds and assists for Love. I think the area he was most exposed this year was his defense. The Cavaliers, and everyone else, knew he was not a great defensive player at the time of the trade. However, I think they thought pairing him with an elite defender like Lebron and a solid guy like Varejo he would at least be able to deter a few people inside on defense. The fact was, his defense was much worse than advertised and, after the expected Andy V injury, their frontline defense became such a problem they were just an average team. They traded away two firsts for Mosgov after seeing how bad it got for them (which at least to me seems like a desperation overpay even though it has helped immensely).

Now you enter this offseason how perceive Love is a bit different, at least for me. Last season I was thinking he automatically made a team competitive and was a superstar. Now I see a lot more credence to the concept that he was putting up stats on a bad team. He can still get points and rebounds but he has a lot of limitations. He can't really create his own shot that well, he needs to be paired with a defensive minded center  and he has also shown slight signs of being a bit of a diva. I wouldn't want to build my team around a star or pay him 20 million dollars with those exposed shortcomings.

Also for the poster saying he was a top 15 player....this is for the current season not taking into account contracts or age. The contract would obviously push him down a lot further.

(Not in particular order)
1) Lebron
2) Westbrook
3) Harden
4) Durant
5) Blake
6) Curry
7) Aldridge
8) Paul (see the clippers the last month)
9) Davis
10) Cousins
11) John Wall
12) Howard (if healthy)
13) Horford
14) Marc Gasol
15) Carmelo
16) Klay Thompson
17) Randolph
18) Bosh?
19) Milsap
20) George
21) Bledsoe

I admit when you get down to the late teens and early twenties it becomes more interesting point of debate, but all the players in the top 15 are either two way players or really elite at one skills (curry, harden). Love just isn't at that level.

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 02:16:18 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
Also for the poster saying he was a top 15 player....this is for the current season not taking into account contracts or age. The contract would obviously push him down a lot further.

1) Lebron
2) Westbrook
3) Harden
4) Durant
5) Blake
6) Curry
7) Aldridge
9) Davis
10) Cousins
11) John Wall
12) Howard (if healthy)
13) Horford
14) Marc Gasol
15) Carmelo
16) Klay Thompson
17) Randolph
18) Bosh?
19) Milsap
20) George
21) Bledsoe

I admit when you get down to the late teens and early twenties it becomes more interesting point of debate, but all the players in the top 15 are either two way players or really elite at one skills (curry, harden). Love just isn't at that level.

I think you could make a case that Love this year could be higher than Melo and Howard.

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 02:38:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

1) Lebron
2) Westbrook
3) Harden
4) Durant
5) Blake
6) Curry
7) Aldridge
9) Davis
10) Cousins
11) John Wall
12) Howard (if healthy)
13) Horford
14) Marc Gasol
15) Carmelo
16) Klay Thompson
17) Randolph
18) Bosh?
19) Milsap
20) George
21) Bledsoe

I think you could make a case that Love this year could be higher than Melo and Howard.

This season with their injuries, definitely. However, if Howard is healthy it is not even a conversation. Although his offense has regressed slightly Howard is still a really good defensive player and is also a good rebounder. The rockets would laugh if the cavs proposed Love straight up.

I don't personally like Carmelo's game all that much, but it is also hard to see his full potential with the roster that has been assembled around him. However, the overall point is that Love has gone in many people's eyes from being on the level of Aldridge and Blake and now is viewed at the next tier with Bosh, Randolph in Milsap. IMO with his defensive issues and inability to create his own shot that you can call him a top 15 player or build your team around him.

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 02:44:24 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
A lot has to do with how well you believe we have gone without that trade and how we are set to improve the team. Everything hinges on what DA does this summer, right now I think we are looking pretty good to attract the pieces we need.

I am not sure what would have happened in an alternate universe where Love came to the Cs but share that sense that Rondo is not quite Rondo (triple doubles) and wouldn't be if he stayed and felt he didn't have to defend.