Author Topic: If we sign a loaded front court, then what?  (Read 1969 times)

If we sign a loaded front court, then what?
« on: March 06, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I've seen some reports that the Celtics are going to swing for the fences in free agency this year. Let's pretend we hit a grand slam and sign some sort of combination of Love/Gasol/Jordan/Monroe. Really all we have left to upgrade is the SF spot.

We won't have much money left to sign an upgrade, but I believe we should have the MLE to offer someone. So we should absolutely be able to upgrade. What lower level SF would you like to sign to pair with a new front court?

Based on this years free agents I think I would sign: (In no order)

Corey Brewer
Loul Deng
Gerald Green
Wes Mathews (Just got hurt, may be able to get him cheaper?)
Paul Pierce
Tobias Harris (I think he's a bitter better than this MLE category)

What about some trade targets?

Re: If we sign a loaded front court, then what?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 10:05:50 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I've seen some reports that the Celtics are going to swing for the fences in free agency this year. Let's pretend we hit a grand slam and sign some sort of combination of Love/Gasol/Jordan/Monroe. Really all we have left to upgrade is the SF spot.

We won't have much money left to sign an upgrade, but I believe we should have the MLE to offer someone. So we should absolutely be able to upgrade. What lower level SF would you like to sign to pair with a new front court?

Corey Brewer
Loul Deng
Gerald Green
Paul Pierce

You don't have MLE if you have cap space / use cap space.

What you use is trade the exorbitant amount of trade assets you have using redundant players.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

Corey Brewer
Loul Deng
Gerald Green
Paul Pierce

What you use is trade the exorbitant amount of trade assets you have using redundant players.

So if we did get two of these bigs you think it'd be virtually impossible to upgrade at the SF via free agency?

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 10:17:04 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Corey Brewer
Loul Deng
Gerald Green
Paul Pierce

So if we did get two of these bigs you think it'd be virtually impossible to upgrade at the SF via free agency?
I don't see the cap room to sign 2 of them as FAs.  forgetting the extremely unlikely chance of luring them from their teams to come to a team that's not going to win anything anytime soon, if they did get one of them, C's would be wise to use their top pick this year to fill that SF spot with several good looking prospects coming out this year where one is sure to be available when they pick.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 10:39:39 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think two from the group you were mentioning is unlikely at best. If we can get one from the group of Love/Gasol/Jordan/Monroe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

If we simply sign one in free agency we will have a lot of picks and assets to go after anything else we need.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 10:54:09 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I'm very discouraged. We're not going to get any of the better free agents and the ones who will likely be available to us are not significantly better than what we have already. Also, our draft pick is not going to be so great. Hopefully Ainge can knock the pick out of the park or find some unexpectedly good free agent.

Are we destined to have a roster full of B- to B+ players? Oh, the treadmill... the treadmill of mediocrity... (singing)

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 11:09:33 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think the goal is to sign one free agent big, and trade Gerald Wallace, James Young, and some combination of draft picks to Utah for Gordon Hayward.  My guess on picks is our 1st this year and the Minny protected 1st/ 2 seconds.  Wouldn't be surprised if it were agreed to on draft night and processed after the July moratorium, so that Hayward could be advertised to the free agent big.  Hayward can't be officially traded until July 10th because the Jazz matched his offer sheet last summer.

Given the Celtics need at the SF position, the Hayward/Stevens connection, and that Jazz matched in part to not lose Hayward for nothing, I just really expect this trade to happen.  It makes sense for both teams.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 11:30:59 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
What do you give up for Hayward? If I'm Utah I'm asking for more than James Young and picks.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 11:35:49 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
What do you give up for Hayward? If I'm Utah I'm asking for more than James Young and picks.
I think there's zero chance to get Hayward, let alone for cheap. He's part of the solution, not the problem in Utah.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 11:41:36 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I think the goal is to sign one free agent big, and trade Gerald Wallace, James Young, and some combination of draft picks to Utah for Gordon Hayward.  My guess on picks is our 1st this year and the Minny protected 1st/ 2 seconds.  Wouldn't be surprised if it were agreed to on draft night and processed after the July moratorium, so that Hayward could be advertised to the free agent big.  Hayward can't be officially traded until July 10th because the Jazz matched his offer sheet last summer.

Given the Celtics need at the SF position, the Hayward/Stevens connection, and that Jazz matched in part to not lose Hayward for nothing, I just really expect this trade to happen.  It makes sense for both teams.

Utah is not looking to take a step backwards, they are done rebuilding. They are not going to trade Gobert, Favors, or Hayward, who are all young and signed for multiple years. The only way they would deal Hayward is if he caused a stink and asked for a deal, but there is nothing to indicate he's unhappy.

Two years from now will be the time when some of their star players may become available. If the team doesn't make any progress record-wise I could see them having pressure to deal Favors or Hayward if the team doesn't think they can be re-signed. However, with Gobert and Exum (and to a lesser extent Burke and Burks) they do have some very talented up-and-coming players to surround Hayward and Favors. I think Utah is in excellent shape right now, they just need their players to improve and get more experience.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 12:36:13 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I'm very discouraged. We're not going to get any of the better free agents and the ones who will likely be available to us are not significantly better than what we have already. Also, our draft pick is not going to be so great. Hopefully Ainge can knock the pick out of the park or find some unexpectedly good free agent.

Are we destined to have a roster full of B- to B+ players? Oh, the treadmill... the treadmill of mediocrity... (singing)

Why can't we sign a FA? Players around the league know we stripped down the roster to just the young guys and spare parts and are impressed by how we've been putting it together and the job CBS has done. One of the best GMs in the league, winning culture, assets to build a contender. Not every player cares about the cold or state tax income laws. It may not happen this year cause a lot of the guys are probably staying/restricted. But they certainly can.

They should just throw deals at a bunch of guys that fit what they need and convince them your just getting started. Chances are if we go hard after 5 guys we might get one, two if god gets involved. But you do your best to sign a guy like Butler or Kawhi, play with the structure of the deal a little and see if Chicago or the spurs will blink first. Maybe even a guy like Draymond Green. DeAndre is a good guy to go after because he's still pretty young, and fills our biggest hole perfectly. Monroe is interesting.

If the Cs get sign one guy this year it's just gravy. With the cap jump the next year and Wallace coming off the books there's room for another one. And most our assets are draft and trade based anyway.  Signing a top FA in 2015, while important and would be welcomed if it was the right player, isn't necessary.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 12:54:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If we get a loaded front court it means we would change our attack to an interior based one with some kick out threes instead of what we are using now.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 01:32:20 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
If we get a loaded frontcourt, I will be ecstatic. With this team of Lilliputians, the last thing I'm worried about is too many bigs.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 01:33:31 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Id like to go for Clippers 1st, Wallace and Sully for Rudy Gay then land Love with Jordan for a inside outside mix. Highly unlikely but it's fun to dream.

IT/Smart
AB/Turner/Young
Gay/GR3/Layman (Philly pick)
Love/KO/Jerekbo
Jordan/Zeller/WCS (12th pick)