Author Topic: Should the C's look into OKC's Adams or McGary?  (Read 3572 times)

Should the C's look into OKC's Adams or McGary?
« on: March 06, 2015, 09:18:17 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
With Enes Kanter getting the lions share of minutes at the 5 in OKC, what are the chances we could offer up a couple mid-level assets for one of their young big men prospects?

They have Steven Adams, the one real piece they have left to show for the Harden trade if I'm not mistaken, who was showing some progress this year averaging around 8-8 and 1.3blks while splitting time with Perk before they got rid of him. He's only 21 and in just his second season, but he's also under team control at low money for the next few years and that means something to a notoriously cheap Thunder franchise. There's potential there with Adams. He's already shown himself to be a little better than Zeller defensively, certainly more potential as a rim-protector type than Zeller. He now finds himself in a position where he's buried behind Kanter and Ibaka in the starting line up. With Mitch McGary healthy again, and the Thunder having the tendency to play with stretch 4s like Morrow or KD when he's healthy, someone's PT is gonna suffer and it could well be Adams.

McGary on the other hand is just a rookie. It could be him who loses court time. But he's shown some real flashes is his limited minutes. Nominally he's a power forward, but he's an under the basket kind of player who I think could play the 5. He's shown good defensive awareness and timing. Certainly not the kind of negative defense a player like Kanter gives you. And with 4 guys in there back-court all under 27 with over-lapping skill sets, certainly someone would be available for the right price?

Kanter is a RFA at the end of the season and the Thunder are clearly unwilling to pay a cent more than they think someone is worth and he's deff not a guy I think they pay a luxury tax for. But I'm also not quite so sure he gets any kinds of crazy big offers anyway. We saw the market for Brook Lopez when Brooklyn shopped him. Kanter has a similar offensive game, might be a bit better on the boards than Lopez but a notch or two worse defensively. I'm just not convinced someone offers him anything close to the max.

Even if the Thunder don't keep Kanter, with Ibaka being such a key piece for them it gives them the luxury of playing a guy who can do more offensively at the expense of defense cause of how good Ibaka is on that side of the ball. I've always thought Sullinger or KO would mesh well with a guy like that, and OKC loves guys under team control and reasonable rates.

So, considering our flexibility with the money to spend and draft picks to use, would you make a move for Adams or McGary if you had the chance? Maybe something like KO, Clips pick and the Sixers 2nd rounder this year would get OKC to bite, too much for you to give up?

Re: Should the C's look into OKC's Adams or McGary?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 09:22:25 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't think they trade Adams. They'll need him to be Collison when Collison finally retires.

That said, I would absolutely do your trade: KO, 2015 LAC, 2015 76ers 2nd rounder? For sure.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 09:43:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think they move any of those three, not yet.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 09:57:12 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I don't think they trade Adams. They'll need him to be Collison when Collison finally retires.

That said, I would absolutely do your trade: KO, 2015 LAC, 2015 76ers 2nd rounder? For sure.

+1

I think they ultimately go with Adams and McGary because ze Kanter is too much $$$
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 10:13:33 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't see them trading any of them but wouldn't make that deal.  probably being a homer but I think that's a bit much for Adams and certainly too much for Mcgarry.

would rather see how the C's do in the draft addressing the center spot and see if they bring in someone as a FA to fill that spot.  I don't think they'll be able to do it via free agency this year except on the odd chance they land Monroe and plan to play him at center (which I don't see happening both because I think Monroe wants to go to a better team and C's wouldn't see Monroe as the defensive center they need)

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 10:59:54 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
If I am OKC, why would I ever trade Adams who is effective, improving, 21 years old, and works cheap for at least the next two seasons? Even if they keep Kanter next year, why wouldn't they want Adams as a cheap, competent backup? McGary doesn't seem to me to be an upgrade from Zeller. I would wait to see what happens in the offseason in the draft, free agency, or via trades. Cauley-Stein, Jordan, or Asik would be my first three choices off the top of my head. I'm sure that there are other reasonable options out there besides those three guys.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 11:06:19 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
I don't see them trading any of them but wouldn't make that deal.  probably being a homer but I think that's a bit much for Adams and certainly too much for Mcgarry.

would rather see how the C's do in the draft addressing the center spot and see if they bring in someone as a FA to fill that spot.  I don't think they'll be able to do it via free agency this year except on the odd chance they land Monroe and plan to play him at center (which I don't see happening both because I think Monroe wants to go to a better team and C's wouldn't see Monroe as the defensive center they need)

I'd say that's about right where Adams' value is right now. A decent young big with upside that fits their team and allows them to not lose depth up front, a late first rounder and an early second. Depending on your opinion of KO I guess that could be too much or too little.

But, OKC first sought out Lopez, then Kanter because they were looking for an offensive minded player to put next to Ibaka. A player like KO would be able to use his perimeter skills to generate open looks for KD and Westbrook while also keeping Ibaka closer to the hoop where he's most effective, instead of him drifting out and jacking up jump shots like he has a lot this year. Plus KOs versatile in the sense that you could pair him with Ibaka, Adams, McGary or even KD as a stretch 4.

I mean, you guys are probably right, they probably wanna keep them both. But if they can't keep Kanter they still need an offensive big, preferably one who can stretch the floor a bit.

And as far as our situation goes, if we can manage to position ourselves for someone like Cauley-Stein it's a moot point. But if we end up drafting after #10 I'm not so sure our center of the future will be there, at least not one that can play big minutes right away. If were gonna go the FA route, I wouldn't mind if DA threw a max deal at D.Jordan because I think he's the perfect fit. But after him and Gasol who's older and probably not going anywhere, there would be a lot more hesitation to throw big money at someone like Robin Lopez who's on that next tier down.

Finding an under-utilized young guy on another team who you think has a higher potential and prying him away for a reasonable price is one of DA's favorite ways to get players. Jeff Green, IT, Bass and Zeller are good examples of that.

All just some food for thought I suppose.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 11:10:31 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
And if it was McGary and not Adams, I'd only offer one pick. Whichever of those two OKC wants. Depending on how late the Clips pick is they might want the PHI pick more.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 11:35:41 AM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
We dont need a mediocre center to get swept in the playoffs. We need to tank

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 12:40:15 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Trade deadline has come and gone folks.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 12:51:53 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Trade deadline has come and gone folks.

That's true, but the OP is pretty clearly about trading during the offseason.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 12:57:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we are going to look for bigger fish than what is mentioned here.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 12:57:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 01:03:23 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
lets just hope we lose more games than we win and are able to draft Myles Turner.

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 01:03:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
No interest in McGary. Not impressed with what I have seen from him. His defense is atrocious and very likely to always be a big problem for him given his limited athleticism. I would be surprised if he ever became more than a below average bench player.

Steven Adams is a good player. A solid starting center. Plays hard nosed man-to-man defense and solid team defense. His rebounding is good. His offense is very limited. I think worst case scenario is a starting caliber center for 10 years and best case scenario is he improves his team defense considerably and becomes an above average starting center. Low floor. I'd happily trade Olynyk and a pick for Adams.