Author Topic: Tom Crean out at IU per Peegs  (Read 7703 times)

Tom Crean out at IU per Peegs
« on: March 06, 2015, 12:47:25 AM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
According to Peegs, Tom Crean is out at IU at the end of the season. Their "sources" say top 3 candidates to replace are:

1. Brad Stephens
2. Shaka Smart
3. Gregg Marshall

For those not familiar with Peegs it's basically a paid subscriber site for IU basketball.
Links won't work w/o log in. I don't even have a membership but just looked at it with my buddy. The boards are freaking out.

Some "sources" saying Brad Stephens hasnt given a yes/no to idea of coaching Indiana. It is his home state and his family as well as him love IU.

Chances he will leave Boston?
I told my buddy that unless IU can somehow acquire a 1st round pick, Stephens isn't going anywhere.

Thoughts?

Re: Tom Crean out at IU per Peegs
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 01:07:53 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I'm sure Indiana is a dream job for Stevens but it's hard to see him fleeing back to college.  He'd be essentially admitting he made a horrible mistake leaving Butler.

Mike

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 01:23:42 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
It's possible we lose him and Danny would let him go for little or more likely nothing. Can't keep a coach who wants to be elsewhere.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 01:39:29 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
It's possible we lose him and Danny would let him go for little or more likely nothing. Can't keep a coach who wants to be elsewhere.

Just be kind of crappy of him after taking that long of a deal. Don't see him turning down all that money and security, especially with our good play as of late.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 02:17:43 AM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
Guys on the forums now saying Stephens has been contacted, has opt out clause for IU and Duke

Take with a grain of salt. Wonder if this opt out is real?

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 04:04:56 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't think Crean's fate will be decided until after his team's last game.  He's on the hot seat, and it might only be warm, but can certainly keep his job. This is someone who's reporting something first so he can say "I told you" and then if it doesn't come to pass can say that win X saved it for him.

Really the rumor comes because the AD said tonight that Crean's job is safe, which of course means the opposite because it's a pretty cynical world out there.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 07:16:29 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Stevens is just now starting to OWN the team,  ejecting Rondo was key , it's finally his to coach and run 100 % as he sees fit .

His signature is starting to appear on certain games.    An identity is forming .

Stevens has weathered the worst of the storm , with a few more key players he'll be headed by into playoff contention.

He has learned to coach under the worst situation handed to him.    I total rebuild with handicaps of Wallace and Rondo .

He is young enough , those college jobs will always be around ....NBA good jobs are harder to get.

Things have turned around somewhat ....his work is paying off ......he has no reason professionally to run off .

NBA has paid him such......it's hard for schools to meet the salary an NBA team can pay.  He has great paycheck and security and any NBA job is at higher level than college ball.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 07:28:25 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It would really suck if he makes us overachieve and lose our lottery pick and then bolts to IU.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
If IU is his dream job, he may bolt.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 08:53:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Just be kind of crappy of him after taking that long of a deal. Don't see him turning down all that money and security, especially with our good play as of late.
He'd get similar money and years from IU probably.

If Danny gave him an opt out I'd be shocked but who knows. You'd figure with such a longterm deal Danny wouldn't want to give on that.

Definitely would suck to lose him, he's a good coach.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 09:01:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think Crean's fate will be decided until after his team's last game.  He's on the hot seat, and it might only be warm, but can certainly keep his job. This is someone who's reporting something first so he can say "I told you" and then if it doesn't come to pass can say that win X saved it for him.

Really the rumor comes because the AD said tonight that Crean's job is safe, which of course means the opposite because it's a pretty cynical world out there.
Usually the boosters determine these sort of situations. Hard to tell what the money thinks from public chatter, not good for Crean either way. If he survives he'll need to turn it around next year.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 09:20:16 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'd be shocked if he left right now.  It's starting to turn around, he's a big reason why and they're positioned to be an upper level team for the long haul.  Plus it looks like he's having fun, where it didn't last year.

I also would be surprised if Danny/Ownership gave him an opt out.  They wanted him as the foundation of the program as they went through the rebuild.  To allow him to leave after a couple of years wouldn't be good business.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 09:23:53 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
hypothetically who would be the candidates for the next Celts coach?

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 09:32:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm sure Indiana is a dream job for Stevens but it's hard to see him fleeing back to college.  He'd be essentially admitting he made a horrible mistake leaving Butler.

Mike
No he wouldn't.  IU is his dream job and not exactly a downgrade from Butler. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 09:36:02 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
hypothetically who would be the candidates for the next Celts coach?
I'm going to start this rumor..

Word is thibs isn't loved by the bulls organization..

I'd welcome him back here
I trust Danny Ainge