Author Topic: Montrezl Harrell - Good fit under CBS?  (Read 13654 times)

Montrezl Harrell - Good fit under CBS?
« on: March 05, 2015, 06:38:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I know, another undersized pf/c. The difference between Harrell and Sullinger/KO is that this guy has a 7'4-7'5 wingspan ,  explosive , can guard multiple positions.  AT 240 pounds and prob be up to 250 pounds by the draft could hold his own vs some bigger players around the post.  He plays hard all the time and seems to play with more energy as the game goes on. Like Crowder and Smart.  Unfortunately like Crowder and Smart,  Harrell is not a whiz on the offensive end.  But is able to "get away" more by utilizing his excellent length and explosiveness to score baskets creatively . Could get you 6 to 8 points just by hanging around the net. He has added an improved jump shot and does get to the line at a good rate.

If we end up with the 13-15 pick, would you be ok with drafting Harrell?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/61793/montrezl-harrell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCDGxDj0CI0

Re: Montrezl Harrell - Good fit under CBS?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 06:43:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I actually really like Harrell, but more as the guy we trade the Clips and Philly picks for (to move up into the mid-teens). He is exactly the kind of player every team wants to have, but am not sure he has any more upside than a guy like Faried (who I would also like).

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 06:51:40 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
He's not just undersized, he's a 6'8" center, he's already a junior and he is "not a whizz on the offensive end." 

It's not up to me though and I know Danny is enamored with guys like this.  He would be ok coming off the bench I guess but ugh please no I'm so sick of mini-big men because they hustle.  We are overflowing with hustle right now, what we need is size and talent.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:52:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I actually really like Harrell, but more as the guy we trade the Clips and Philly picks for (to move up into the mid-teens). He is exactly the kind of player every team wants to have, but am not sure he has any more upside than a guy like Faried (who I would also like).

He does have more upside.  He can already shoot better than Faried (which is a big weapon for undersized pf/c) and has a 7'4-7'5 wingspan vs Faried (6'11-7'0). A better shot blocker than Faried.  Faried is a tad quicker/explosive but Harrell bigger and stronger. 

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 09:16:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
He's not just undersized, he's a 6'8" center, he's already a junior and he is "not a whizz on the offensive end." 

It's not up to me though and I know Danny is enamored with guys like this.  He would be ok coming off the bench I guess but ugh please no I'm so sick of mini-big men because they hustle.  We are overflowing with hustle right now, what we need is size and talent.

I agree with some of your points. Though Harrell is 6'8 , he has a generous 7'4-7'5 wingspan, 35 vertical leap and is 240-250 pounds.  His standing reach is like 8'11 or 9'0 which is longer than Zellers.

Ainge could do worse

Harrell, Zeller, KO, Sullinger (both with better bodies) could be a good 4 man frontcourt unit.  Harrell replaces Bass but is a more explosive version. Lots of options if CBS decides to go small late in the game
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:14:13 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 09:43:14 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
To be honest I am going into the draft with the  general feeling that I will be happy with whoever we grab with our first pick unless we take a PF.

That being said, Harrell, doesnt look 6'8" when you watch him. His strength, massive wingspan, and impressive athleticism allow him to play like a center. If we get a guy like Greg Monroe, I think Harrell could be a nice complement to him, if Harrell's shot can improve.

With Sully/KO and Zeller of the bench I wouldnt mind that 1-4

Still Id much rather have a guy like johnson, Winlow Oubre WCS Hezonja etc.

Id be really happy if we could maybe get a SF with pick #1 (say Winslow or Oubre if we pick 12) then if we package Clips, KO and maybe some other 2s to move back up and get Harrell if he falls to 15-17. Then sign Monroe.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 10:17:17 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

I agree with some of your points. Though Harrell is 6'8 , he has a generous 7'4-7'5 wingspan, 35 vertical leap and is 240-250 pounds.  His standing reach is like 8'11 or 9'0 which is longer than Zellers.

Ainge could do worse

Harrell, Zeller, KO, Sullinger (both with better bodies) could be a good 4 man frontcourt unit.  Harrell replaces Bass but is a more explosive version. Lots of options if CBS decides to go small late in the game

I would be okay with him with the Clippers pick if Danny thinks he will be good, but I mean I'd rather have a lottery ticket like George Lucas (aka the Brazilian with the freaky hands)

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Prospect-of-the-Week-George-Lucas-4814/

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 10:30:16 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I wanted Harrell last year before he dropped out of the draft. I again want him this year because he has looked even better.

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 10:35:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

He does have more upside.  He can already shoot better than Faried (which is a big weapon for undersized pf/c) and has a 7'4-7'5 wingspan vs Faried (6'11-7'0). A better shot blocker than Faried.  Faried is a tad quicker/explosive but Harrell bigger and stronger.

That is fair - technically he may have better upside, but the next level up from Faried is someone like Blake Griffin (a major level up, I know). What would your hoped be of Harrell? I certainly like him, but maybe even I have been underrating him.

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 10:40:07 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I'd rather have Trey Lyles... he is super skilled and has a high IQ. Reminds me of Kevin Love or Jabari Parker offensively... probably not going to be as good as those guys but he's definitely going to go alot later than his talent deserves because he doesn't have many opportunities to demonstrate his ability in the crowded Kentucky frontcourt. Probably a top 5 talent honestly. 

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 10:56:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Harrell is a tweener without a position in the pros.  SF body  in PF skillset.   No thanks.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Prospect-of-the-Week-George-Lucas-4814/
  I am 6'7" without shoes and my hands are that big so nothing special.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 11:01:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 01:27:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If we end up with the 13-15 pick, would you be ok with drafting Harrell?
absolute worst case scenario is we finish at 12 so no, not ok picking him (or anyone) 12-15.
no way we pass the 2 teams with winning records in the West that are going to miss the playoffs this year so there's spots 13 and 14.  We're not making the playoffs so that's #15. 

If I had to put money on it (or TP's) I think C's get #9 this year.  at that spot, there will be a solid SF prospect for us to take that I'd want more than Harrell.

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 01:37:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I really don't think we should pick players by whether they are "good fits under CBS".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 01:48:27 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I really don't think we should pick players by whether they are "good fits under CBS".

Entirely agreed.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.