Author Topic: With Avery ruled out against the Pelicans tomorrow  (Read 7544 times)

Re: With Avery ruled out against the Pelicans tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 04:48:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
As for Young not earning NBA minutes....well that's your opinion, but someone who is shooting 52% from 3(NBA 3 not college) on almost 10 attempts per game and averaging 24 in 32mpg..well that's deserving in my book.
I don't really care what he shot or did in the D-League. If D-League stats meant anything, the NBA would be chock full of Shaq- and LeBron-type talents. But it isn't.

In the end, the NBA is result-oriented. You have to demonstrate that you can produce in an NBA game -- not in college, not in the D-League, and not in Europe. Twenty-five games in, there's nothing that indicates that James Young is ready to do that at this stage of his career. I'm a fan of sending the message that the only way to not sit is to be good enough. But that's me (and obviously not Brad Stevens).

I'm not saying that he'll never amount to anything, I just think that he needs to worry about getting better right now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 04:55:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd like to see Isaiah Thomas continue in his 6th man. So I hope someone else takes Avery Bradley's place in the starting lineup. Maybe Crowder with Turner sliding down to SG. A Smart - Turner - Crowder starting lineup.

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 05:08:56 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Stevens will move Crowder into the starting lineup and slide Turner to the 2.

I like Thomas in the roll he will play for us long term, 6th man.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 05:25:30 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I'd like to see IT at the point, Smart at the 2, Crowder at the 3, Jerebko at the 4, Zeller in the middle. By necessity, Turner is the first guy off the bench due to his ability to play the point. Bass will get good minutes, KO might see some time if he shows CBS he wants to play hard like the rest of these guys.

I wouldn't start Young or anything, but with AB out, this might be a good game to give him 20ish minutes, set up a few clean looks for him and get some of those balls to drop. His stroke is beautiful, if he can get it going and start feeling it, he could find a few more minutes for himself as a sniper.

They don't trust him like that now and they shouldn't. He hasn't done anything yet, but if he starts getting on a roll, he could claim a little more PT. A game like this might be a good chance to give him a little opportunity to seize.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 05:32:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd like to see IT at the point, Smart at the 2, Crowder at the 3, Jerebko at the 4, Zeller in the middle.
I'd like to see Jerebko start as well.

I think he is a smarter team defender than Bass and a more well rounded offensive player (better ball-handler, passer, extra range on jump-shot). It's been a long time since Jerebko last started at the PF position. He has developed his jump-shot considerably since then. I am curious how well he'll fare with his new and improved skill-set.

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 07:42:45 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I'd like to see IT at the point, Smart at the 2, Crowder at the 3, Jerebko at the 4, Zeller in the middle.
I'd like to see Jerebko start as well.

I think he is a smarter team defender than Bass and a more well rounded offensive player (better ball-handler, passer, extra range on jump-shot). It's been a long time since Jerebko last started at the PF position. He has developed his jump-shot considerably since then. I am curious how well he'll fare with his new and improved skill-set.

Absolutely. Bass has his value, but I think they plan on using these last 5 or so weeks to see what they can get out of KO. And Jerebko starting and getting good minutes acting as a stand in for him will make his transition easier once he's fully healthy. He'd clearly be best suited as a 4 next to a shot-blocking C, hence why I was hoping to see him next to McGee a bit but oh well.

And if KO doesn't play well enough to take the minutes away from Jerebko and Bass, then it also means they're probably playing well, and I'd like to see what Jonas can do with a larger role on the court. Plus it gives Olynyk motivation to play as well as he can.

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 08:04:16 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
As for Young not earning NBA minutes....well that's your opinion, but someone who is shooting 52% from 3(NBA 3 not college) on almost 10 attempts per game and averaging 24 in 32mpg..well that's deserving in my book.
I don't really care what he shot or did in the D-League. If D-League stats meant anything, the NBA would be chock full of Shaq- and LeBron-type talents. But it isn't.

In the end, the NBA is result-oriented. You have to demonstrate that you can produce in an NBA game -- not in college, not in the D-League, and not in Europe. Twenty-five games in, there's nothing that indicates that James Young is ready to do that at this stage of his career. I'm a fan of sending the message that the only way to not sit is to be good enough. But that's me (and obviously not Brad Stevens).

I'm not saying that he'll never amount to anything, I just think that he needs to worry about getting better right now.

I'd agree with you (and I'm sure Stevens would too) if he wasn't putting in the work or not giving effort, but he clearly has and is. Young has done everything the coaches have asked him to do. Everyone has raved about about how quickly he picks things up in practice and how coachable he was before the season started. He killed it in the D-League. We haven't heard if he plays poorly or doesn't give effort in practice. I'm sure he does. His confidence doesn't seem to waver in game, and he doesn't seem to get too down on himself.

You don't just sit someone for the sake of sitting someone. That's why a lot of rookies tend to flame out, imo. Too many coaches try to make power moves with their young players when it makes no sense to. It only makes sense to try to send a message if he wasn't giving enough effort, gets frustrated too quickly, or gets rattled. None of this has happened yet. He needs minutes and reps to gain confidence in his shot at the NBA level. He's not going to get that in the D-League or practice. How else do you expect him to earn his minutes if he is performing well at every other level?

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 08:16:11 PM »

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Why isn't Avery playing? 

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 09:08:11 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It'll be Crowder starting and Turner moving to the backcourt. Not sure why this is even a question.
I would agree. In any case, I like our bench better than our starters.   ;)

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 09:36:01 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I think Stevens plays him just enough to get his feet wet, but not so much he looses his confidence. And he rarely plays much in the second half which is a good message to get better to see more floor time.

He's shown he's better than most D- leaguer's, but being 19, hasn't matured enough for the NBA. Keeping him on the bench does no good. How does some one get better if they aren't playing against better competition? Practicing in the gym only gets you so far, you need playing time to get everything to come together. 

Young doesn't really hurt the team that bad when he's out there now. His D has gotten better. His offense comes and goes because the other players don't really look for him. Keeping him on the bench until he can score over 10 pts a game would probably hurt his development more than help at this point on this team. Let him learn a little at a time in live actin in a season that if we miss the playoffs it's not the end of the world. 

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 09:43:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I worry less about his shooting than the likelihood the guy he's guarding will torch him for a career high.
no, no, no slam!!  >:( the OP already forbade discussing anything to do with defense. this is strictly a celebratory thread on all good things young...which of course excludes his defense.

you may need to discipline your hamster.  ;D
hey, Hammy just calls it as he sees it.

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 09:47:01 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'd like to see Thomas, Turner, Crowder, Bass, and Zeller.

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 10:15:35 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Why isn't Avery playing?

Elbow sprain
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 11:16:51 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I think with Bradley gone
Stevens will try play smart at the 2 with Thomas with young as the bench SG coming in

Still I would like turner to play less and have a lineup of
Thomas, smart, crowder, bass and zeller

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 04:14:33 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
According to some stats Bradley outright sucks right, well then let's see how much Bradley suck  :P
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.