Author Topic: McGee, Cap Space, and Fireworks  (Read 1415 times)

McGee, Cap Space, and Fireworks
« on: March 05, 2015, 02:03:10 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Not sure if this has been mentioned.

I was skeptical at the thought of us using our cap space to attempt to contend (maybe too strong a word) next year. I thought we would continue the slow and methodical rebuild. However...

It is obvious Ainge had interest in McGee. He signed him after all. Ainge could have easily outbid Philly by adding a future 2nd rounder and the Celtics could have absorbed McGee with the Rondo Trade Exception. In the process Ainge would have added a future first round pick to his current stash. We all know by now he values these picks greatly.

But he didn't... Why? Ainge wanted the cap space. He didn't want 12 mill on the books for a player that he apparently liked enough to sign, even if it meant adding a future first.

Due to this I think Ainge plans on competing next year in this LEastern Conference. I think he plans on legitimately fielding a team that can make a run next season.

I expect to see young players and assets traded for more established talent this summer.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: McGee, Cap Space, and Fireworks
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 02:05:43 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The 76ers are still on the hook for a lot of McGee's salary after waiving him.
So DA can sign McGee on the cheap.  11-12m of cap space is very valuable, likely more valuable than picking up an extra 1st.  So being patient to land McGee looked like the best move.

Ainge can have his cake and eat it too.  He gets a low cost, high talent big man, and still has cap flexibility for free agency in 2016.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 02:11:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
So Cap > first rounder and C's still made out by signing the released player. Got it thanks.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 02:22:26 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
McGee to the C's is not happening...according to the twitter world...

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 02:22:58 PM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Not sure if this has been mentioned.

I was skeptical at the thought of us using our cap space to attempt to contend (maybe too strong a word) next year. I thought we would continue the slow and methodical rebuild. However...

It is obvious Ainge had interest in McGee. He signed him after all. Ainge could have easily outbid Philly by adding a future 2nd rounder and the Celtics could have absorbed McGee with the Rondo Trade Exception. In the process Ainge would have added a future first round pick to his current stash. We all know by now he values these picks greatly.

But he didn't... Why? Ainge wanted the cap space. He didn't want 12 mill on the books for a player that he apparently liked enough to sign, even if it meant adding a future first.

Due to this I think Ainge plans on competing next year in this LEastern Conference. I think he plans on legitimately fielding a team that can make a run next season.

I expect to see young players and assets traded for more established talent this summer.

I think there are a few things going on here.

1. DA doesn't want to frivolously spend money in a season where the playoffs are not likely.

2. He values keeping the large TPE and cap space in case a player becomes attainable. With the cap set to rise substantially this is a great offseason to score a player on a big contract who in a couple of season will actually be a bargain comparatively. This is also the case with the deal AB and IT are signed to. Shelling out big money on long term deal now for D Green or G Monroe may make more long term fiscal sense while the cap is lower. 

3. McGee is a value at what ever the two year deal theCs are signing him to. At 12mill for 2 years he is not a value.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Beginning to think that WCS isn't happening which is fine by me.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 03:00:37 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Beginning to think that WCS isn't happening which is fine by me.

WCS IS COMING