Author Topic: C's close to signing Javale McGee (not no more!)  (Read 46337 times)

Re: C's close to signing Javale McGee
« Reply #225 on: March 05, 2015, 04:41:31 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
just sign dalembert,thabeet,o'neal or okafor if we are trying to make a playoff push. Won't have to tie up long term money
Or don't sign anyone. No need. The point of McGee was his future potential.

JaVale could be back if he doesn't get a better offer.
ha, ha, ha...that is right. so we can all compose ANOTHER 15 pages of posts for the return of McGee.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #226 on: March 05, 2015, 04:50:25 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Well, seems like he's indeed the idiot I knew he was.
I don't see a problem. Having a player option is absolutely in his interest, and he may get it from a better team than the Celtics. Aaron Goodwin is a pretty good agent.

That's missing the forest for the trees, unless McGee really has fallen apart physically.  At 27, he should be able to get one more big dollar contract.  The only way he's going to get that, however, is to go somewhere he can play major minutes.

Mike

« Reply #227 on: March 05, 2015, 04:53:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't see a problem. Having a player option is absolutely in his interest, and he may get it from a better team than the Celtics. Aaron Goodwin is a pretty good agent.

That's missing the forest for the trees, unless McGee really has fallen apart physically.  At 27, he should be able to get one more big dollar contract.  The only way he's going to get that, however, is to go somewhere he can play major minutes.
Of course it isn't. His top priority is to go to a team that's both going to give him enough minutes to make his case for free agency, and will let him hit the open market in the offseason. Anything can happen if he chooses to play another season for short cash somewhere; just look at how Yao ended.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #228 on: March 05, 2015, 05:00:13 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
I'll be curious to see how this works for McGee moving forward...

I'm not so sure other teams are willing to allow HIM to have leverage in any signing, providing HIM with the player option for next season.

Either this will allow him to hook up with a playoff contending team, and he latches on to a good situation.  OR, other teams will see how he handled this non-signing with the Celtics and call this guy for what he is.

I applaud Danny for not letting McGee get the upper hand with a player option, and letting him walk.  McGee might come out looking like more of a fool than he's shown himself to be during his NBA career.

« Reply #229 on: March 05, 2015, 05:02:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I've always thought the Celtics should just guarantee both years.  Don't make it a player option in year 2 so he can leave if he has a good two months.  Don't make it a team option either. Both parties assume some risk -- the Celtics if he really does stink, McGee if he plays better.  Sometimes options make everything more complicated than it needs to be.

« Reply #230 on: March 05, 2015, 05:08:31 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I've always thought the Celtics should just guarantee both years.  Don't make it a player option in year 2 so he can leave if he has a good two months.  Don't make it a team option either. Both parties assume some risk -- the Celtics if he really does stink, McGee if he plays better.  Sometimes options make everything more complicated than it needs to be.

Either that, or just make it a one year deal.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #231 on: March 05, 2015, 05:10:41 PM »

Offline willyd24

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
People are saying that the deal feel through because he wanted a player option and Ainge wanted a team option but I think JaVale demanded that he get #34 and when Ainge told him that it was Pierce's number and would soon be retired JaVale walked out on him  ;)

« Reply #232 on: March 05, 2015, 05:11:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Would you guya given mcgee the player option?

I mean why else would he want to sign here.

« Reply #233 on: March 05, 2015, 05:12:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Not a fan of the one-year.  There's 5 weeks left in the season, he's not a player whi's exhibited the trait of learning systems that quickly.  Two years, guaranteed on both sides, or not at all.  Celtics pay him more upfront than he would get elsewhere, in exchange for a possible discount next season if he's worth it.  To me a player option isn't much different than a one-year deal, because he'll opt out.

« Reply #234 on: March 05, 2015, 05:17:16 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Not a fan of the one-year.  There's 5 weeks left in the season, he's not a player whi's exhibited the trait of learning systems that quickly.  Two years, guaranteed on both sides, or not at all.  Celtics pay him more upfront than he would get elsewhere, in exchange for a possible discount next season if he's worth it.  To me a player option isn't much different than a one-year deal, because he'll opt out.

Exactly. Player has the opportunity and incentive to play hard to earn his next contract on the open market (aka, "contract year" phenomenon).

Team has the ability to resign via bird rights if the player is worth it.

« Reply #235 on: March 05, 2015, 05:19:04 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Javale is always hurt, he has stress fractures that are reoccurring. When he is out, he's out for months.
His basketball IQ is legendarily low. He's a favorite target of Shaq. lol

He IS huge, very long, and athletic.

It's fine if he comes here on the cheap.   

« Reply #236 on: March 05, 2015, 05:20:32 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Of course it isn't. His top priority is to go to a team that's both going to give him enough minutes to make his case for free agency, and will let him hit the open market in the offseason. Anything can happen if he chooses to play another season for short cash somewhere; just look at how Yao ended.

After a two year deal, he's still only 29 and can still get one more big dollar contract.

Don't get me wrong.  He should want a player option 2nd year and if he can get one from a team that will give him major minutes to finish out this season, he should grab it.  But he needs to play somewhere and reestablish himself before anyone is going to throw big money at him again and going to a better team than Boston likely isn't going to give him the on-court minutes he needs.

Mike

« Reply #237 on: March 05, 2015, 05:24:16 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
don't understand why ainge didn't just trade for him okc pick would have been worth the 10 mill

« Reply #238 on: March 05, 2015, 05:26:53 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Javale is always hurt, he has stress fractures that are reoccurring. When he is out, he's out for months.
His basketball IQ is legendarily low. He's a favorite target of Shaq. lol

He IS huge, very long, and athletic.

It's fine if he comes here on the cheap.

He won't be cheap, but we're only paying a fraction of the bill!! Have fun writing them checks, Hinkie!  Make sure they're on time, or we'll let you win when we play you next

« Reply #239 on: March 05, 2015, 05:30:12 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
don't understand why ainge didn't just trade for him okc pick would have been worth the 10 mill

I think Ainge values $12 million extra room in payroll/cap space for next season.