Author Topic: C's close to signing Javale McGee (not no more!)  (Read 46391 times)

Re: C's close to signing Javale McGee
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2015, 01:41:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
This is reasonable, so long as he gets the minimum for next year or is at least partially unguaranteed.  It would have been stupid to only sign him for the rest of the season, especially since he doesn't seem to have recovered fully from his injuries.

Here's angle people may not have considered.  McGee's agent is BJ Armstrong, who represents pending free agents Omer Asik and Draymond Green (and Bismack Biymobo and Brandon Knight).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2015, 01:43:49 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Is it a done deal??

Mcgee and KO to start i hope. Have Zeller and Bass off the bench

Would rather have Jerebko than KO at this point. Still will stretch the floor, but we'll have better mobility on defense. Heck, we'll have better defense, period.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2015, 01:44:03 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Is it a done deal??

Yeah, no Kelly, thanks. Seen enough already.

Yup. Seen enough. Don`t expect more than already seen from him.

« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2015, 01:44:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Mcgee signing means Datome gone?

« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Is it a done deal??

Yup. Seen enough. Don`t expect more than already seen from him.

Has KO ever played with a legit shot blocker before?

He does not have to overhelp as much on defense

« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2015, 01:50:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2015, 01:52:20 PM »

Offline willyd24

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I like the move. Sure the kid has had his ups and downs but he's got talent and it just so happens to be a position of need for us. The fact that he was willing to choose us over Miami, Dallas and Golden State shows his maturity. Instead of going to a championship contender he signs with us where he will get a lot of playing time and hopefully help us make a playoff push.
Like many have said here it's a low risk high reward signing that doesn't hurt our cap flexibility and helps us with the playoff push. If Brad can turn him around then it becomes a great signing and if not then we part ways, no harm no foul.

For all the people here who think that all these signings are useless and that we should be going the way of the 76ers are crazy. Sure you can tank all you want but you also need guys that will put some fans in the seats. Isaiah Thomas is quickly becoming a fan favorite and he's been in green for two weeks, he puts fans in the seats. JaVale McGee is an athletic 7 footer who is entertaining to watch, that puts fans in the seats.

I'll admit that I was once in favor of trading all of our veterans and building through the draft but after acquiring Isaiah and watching the kid play I understand why it is more important to make a playoff push right now. Sure they aren't the most talented group around but Brad has done an excellent job of making them one heck of a team!

« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2015, 01:54:43 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Million dollar athleticism, 5 cent brain.

Should be a hit on CB than. Half the people here love retards like this cause they can block a shot. ::)
A good knucklehead move to start it off would be to request #34 :) I can't see how that one could go wrong...

Didn't Sebastian Telfair ask Cedric Maxwell if he could wear his number?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2015, 01:57:19 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This is shaping up to be a very interesting rebuilding contest.

On the one hand, Philly has gone all in on "The Plan."  They have set themselves on a path to be as bad as possible for multiple years in a row, banking on grabbing one or more franchise stars in the draft.  To do so, Hinkie has aggressively stripped the team of any player who might get in the way  of all the losing.

On the other hand, Boston is all about flexibility.  Ainge is accumulating as many assets as he can, even if it means poorer draft odds and taking up cap room.

Philly has a much clearer path forward but no fallback position if things don't work out.  Boston's future is more muddled but is better positioned to respond to changing circumstances.

Mike

I think Ainge has done a masterful job. As you say, we have far more moveable assets and flexibility to respond to changing circumstances, BUT, we are also gaining a deserved reputation of having a great culture and winning environment under an excellent head coach, who has been great at helping players develop,

Imo, with Turner, Thomas, and now McGee all here on cheap deals, along with low cost prospects like Smart, Sullinger, Olynyk, and Jerebko, we have an affordable, talented, and versatile supporting cast, and the winning culture and head coach, to attract big name free agents this summer. Of course, we also have the draft pick stock to trade for star players if we don't sign anyone.
You're overvaluing our existing talent.  Turner and McGee are reclamation projections that Philly dumped.  Jerebko is a decent 28 year old bench player.  Sully is injured, out of shape and entering his contract year.  Olynyk hasn't done much to show he's anything more than a decent bench player.  Thomas is a good scoring backup PG.  Smart looks like he's going to be a solid NBA player but he hasn't shown much star potential.  I'll add Young who is very raw but shows some potential. That is just not a treasure trove of talent.

Pants never said it was. He said they are an affordable, talented, and versatile supporting cast....Which is exactly what they are. Nobody is overvaluing the talent here. They are all decent to above average role players. Some older, some younger with potential. If we fix our starting lineup while keeping some of the guys we already have on the bench we are going to be an exciting winning team in the next couple years.

TP Pants.

« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2015, 02:00:22 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
at this point, my question  is why McGee is choosing to join the celtics and not go elsewhere?  apparently, there was a long list of teams that wanted to add him for bench depth this year. so, why? why did he pick the celtics?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/03/report-mavericks-heat-in-long-line-of-teams-interested-in-javale-mcgee/

Playing time? A chance to play for one of the famous NBA franchises? Maybe he just wants to build some snowmen.
I'm guessing playing time. McGee and his agent are looking to rebuild his value for after next year when his past contract is done and he needs a new deal to get paid.
It looks to me like Zeller is going to be a key part of this team moving forward so it would make sense to pair him with a rim protector.  McGee gets first crack at the job.  Why not?

« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2015, 02:00:40 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Is it a done deal??

I'm with ya Koz, KO is off the bench in very limited minutes till next year. KO has to get healthy and play better to warrant more.

« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2015, 02:03:08 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
This is shaping up to be a very interesting rebuilding contest.

On the one hand, Philly has gone all in on "The Plan."  They have set themselves on a path to be as bad as possible for multiple years in a row, banking on grabbing one or more franchise stars in the draft.  To do so, Hinkie has aggressively stripped the team of any player who might get in the way  of all the losing.

On the other hand, Boston is all about flexibility.  Ainge is accumulating as many assets as he can, even if it means poorer draft odds and taking up cap room.

Philly has a much clearer path forward but no fallback position if things don't work out.  Boston's future is more muddled but is better positioned to respond to changing circumstances.

Mike

I think Ainge has done a masterful job. As you say, we have far more moveable assets and flexibility to respond to changing circumstances, BUT, we are also gaining a deserved reputation of having a great culture and winning environment under an excellent head coach, who has been great at helping players develop,

Imo, with Turner, Thomas, and now McGee all here on cheap deals, along with low cost prospects like Smart, Sullinger, Olynyk, and Jerebko, we have an affordable, talented, and versatile supporting cast, and the winning culture and head coach, to attract big name free agents this summer. Of course, we also have the draft pick stock to trade for star players if we don't sign anyone.
You're overvaluing our existing talent.  Turner and McGee are reclamation projections that Philly dumped.  Jerebko is a decent 28 year old bench player.  Sully is injured, out of shape and entering his contract year.  Olynyk hasn't done much to show he's anything more than a decent bench player.  Thomas is a good scoring backup PG.  Smart looks like he's going to be a solid NBA player but he hasn't shown much star potential.  I'll add Young who is very raw but shows some potential. That is just not a treasure trove of talent.

Pants never said it was. He said they are an affordable, talented, and versatile supporting cast....Which is exactly what they are. Nobody is overvaluing the talent here. They are all decent to above average role players. Some older, some younger with potential. If we fix our starting lineup while keeping some of the guys we already have on the bench we are going to be an exciting winning team in the next couple years.

TP Pants.

Yep, PJ explained it well for me, TP PJ.  Don't discard the winning culture CBS is producing. Nobody wants to sign as a FA with a team like Philli, but I can see some top tier FAs considering Boston with our coach and supporting cast this summer.

« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2015, 02:04:27 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I love the move and the fit.

What's the C's record when holding opponents under 100 ?  For 10-20 minutes per night, McGee will help in this area and is a perfect defensive fit.  Easy role for him here.

« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2015, 02:05:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think we need to start off with the lowered expectation that McGee can be a capable backup behind Zeller who is asked to be an energy big off the bench.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2015, 02:05:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
This is reasonable, so long as he gets the minimum for next year or is at least partially unguaranteed.  It would have been stupid to only sign him for the rest of the season, especially since he doesn't seem to have recovered fully from his injuries.

Here's angle people may not have considered.  McGee's agent is BJ Armstrong, who represents pending free agents Omer Asik and Draymond Green (and Bismack Biymobo and Brandon Knight).
That agent is getting paid this coming year. Most those guys have done well this year. Some good enough for ten + million per.