Author Topic: C's close to signing Javale McGee (not no more!)  (Read 46376 times)

Re: C's close to signing Javale McGee
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2015, 01:13:26 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Finallyyyyy! It has been far too long. Delonte, Sheed, Nate Rob... this is what I've been waiting for! A new, highly dysregulated young man that will make horrible decisions and bring me to my knees in joy. New favorite player. I can't believe it. Xmas in March.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2015, 01:14:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2015, 01:14:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
at this point, my question  is why McGee is choosing to join the celtics and not go elsewhere?  apparently, there was a long list of teams that wanted to add him for bench depth this year. so, why? why did he pick the celtics?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/03/report-mavericks-heat-in-long-line-of-teams-interested-in-javale-mcgee/

Playing time? A chance to play for one of the famous NBA franchises? Maybe he just wants to build some snowmen.

"Snowmen" is not the preferred nomenclature, dude. Snowpersons, please.

We're not talking about the people who built the gingerbread houses here, Lucky.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2015, 01:16:29 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
^ TP awarded.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2015, 01:18:01 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I am curious to hear the details of the deal. For how much, and for how long (although it sounds like a 2-year deal -- options? partial guarantee?).

When someone says "What free agents ever signed in Boston?" now we have our answer. Get ready for a JaValaissance.

« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2015, 01:19:01 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I assume the second year is non guaranteed which could help make the numbers work in a future deal.

JaVale isn't great but he absolutely has more upside than Luigi so why not do it.

I also assume he came here because we could offer him the best chance to play. The problem with that is I don't want to see him cut into any of our front court guys playing time.

This is what I'm confused about. The deadline to sign free agent players, and then use them for the playoffs ended up right? If we're trying to showcase, then maybe seeing him do well in short spurts would've been great.

Either way McGee has so many tools, its mind boggling.

There is no deadline to sign players for the playoffs until the regular season ends.  The rule is a player can't be playoff eligible if he was with a team after 11:59 pm March 1st.  He was released by the 6ers a few minutes before the deadline.

Ah, gotcha thanks.

7ppg/7rpg/2 blks career playoff averages . Those are Gobert type numbers this year .  Just let him set picks for Isiah and role hard to the hoop on offense.

Is anyone else actually excited, even just a little bit? Besides the knucklehead plays, I've always liked McGee for what he brings (and what we need): athletic big, shot blocker, rebounder.

I think I'd rather have McGee now over Turner if we can make that happen. Open up more time for Young, Jerebko, and Crowder. With Sully out a 4 and 5 rotation of Bass, Zeller, and a recovering KO is weak.

Oh I am.

I would've loved Sanders, because Sanders seem like a really intelligent player. But for people calling McGee retard/retarded/stupid. Give him a chance... Don't shoot him down when hes always been shot at from fans.

I believe as a Celtics fan, rooting for a players success should always be a given unless they fail to meet our expectations/trust. We got McGee for like NOTHING. 76ers are PAYING for his contract, and hes probably not getting more than 3 mil per year.

Lets see how McGee fares out.
I agree with this sentiment.

I'll initially root for the guy also.

« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Is it a done deal??

Mcgee and KO to start i hope. Have Zeller and Bass off the bench

« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2015, 01:19:30 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
at this point, my question  is why McGee is choosing to join the celtics and not go elsewhere?  apparently, there was a long list of teams that wanted to add him for bench depth this year. so, why? why did he pick the celtics?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/03/report-mavericks-heat-in-long-line-of-teams-interested-in-javale-mcgee/

Playing time? A chance to play for one of the famous NBA franchises? Maybe he just wants to build some snowmen.

Some writer posited that we guaranteed him playing time where contenders wouldn't guarantee him anything. Seems reasonable to me. By virtue of his size alone he should figure to have a prominent role on this team.

I would imagine he sees something around 20 MPG. KO will spend the majority of time at the 4, Bass will back him up with the occasional Crowder/Jerebko mismatch. Zeller and McGee will probably split time at the 5 with Zeller getting a bit more PT at the beginning. KO might get spot minutes.

Having a real inside presence would help out this team tremendously. If McGee can give them that this will be a great signing. Considering how much CBS has gotten outta these guys so far, I'd love to see what he can do with someone like McGee.

« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2015, 01:21:59 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Million dollar athleticism, 5 cent brain.

That's ok, we've got Brad Stevens, Marcus Smart, and Isaiah Thomas, to do the thinking.  All Javale needs to do is bolster the defense and keep it simple.

I really like this move.  And I think the reason McGee signed on with us, is that he saw a way to feature as a starter and regain his market value in a starring role.  He will play hard for his next contract.  That's the best kind of deal.  Built-in motivation.

« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2015, 01:22:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Is it a done deal??

Yeah, no Kelly, thanks. Seen enough already.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2015, 01:25:35 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Also, one last observation: I really like the idea of Gerald Wallace taking McGee under his wing.

« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2015, 01:27:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Is it a done deal??

You have not seen enough. Just wait

Plus having an inside and outside tandem is a better and more balanced front court

Prob going to be mcgee and bass at first but hoping for a ko, mcgee starting unit soon

« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2015, 01:29:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Is it a done deal??

You have not seen enough. Just wait

Plus having an inside and outside tandem is a better and more balanced front court

Prob going to be mcgee and bass at first but hoping for a ko, mcgee starting unit soon
Having a tandem that can move around, defend, and get off the ground is infinitely superior though. And I find Bass' jumper more reliable outside threat than all the shots Kelly is not taking. Heck, at this point I'd start Jerebko over Olynyk.

« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2015, 01:31:16 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
Another great move by Danny.  Acquiring McGee for nothing?  Sign me up.

McGee, Bass, Crowder, Bradley, Smart.  That's some great defensive speed.  Although I'm not all that confident in having a McGee + Bass duo for help/team defense purposes.

« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2015, 01:36:27 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
This is shaping up to be a very interesting rebuilding contest.

On the one hand, Philly has gone all in on "The Plan."  They have set themselves on a path to be as bad as possible for multiple years in a row, banking on grabbing one or more franchise stars in the draft.  To do so, Hinkie has aggressively stripped the team of any player who might get in the way  of all the losing.

On the other hand, Boston is all about flexibility.  Ainge is accumulating as many assets as he can, even if it means poorer draft odds and taking up cap room.

Philly has a much clearer path forward but no fallback position if things don't work out.  Boston's future is more muddled but is better positioned to respond to changing circumstances.

Mike

I think Ainge has done a masterful job. As you say, we have far more moveable assets and flexibility to respond to changing circumstances, BUT, we are also gaining a deserved reputation of having a great culture and winning environment under an excellent head coach, who has been great at helping players develop,

Imo, with Turner, Thomas, and now McGee all here on cheap deals, along with low cost prospects like Smart, Sullinger, Olynyk, and Jerebko, we have an affordable, talented, and versatile supporting cast, and the winning culture and head coach, to attract big name free agents this summer. Of course, we also have the draft pick stock to trade for star players if we don't sign anyone.
You're overvaluing our existing talent.  Turner and McGee are reclamation projections that Philly dumped.  Jerebko is a decent 28 year old bench player.  Sully is injured, out of shape and entering his contract year.  Olynyk hasn't done much to show he's anything more than a decent bench player.  Thomas is a good scoring backup PG.  Smart looks like he's going to be a solid NBA player but he hasn't shown much star potential.  I'll add Young who is very raw but shows some potential.  That is just not a treasure trove of talent.