Author Topic: 2015 Patriots Football  (Read 149643 times)

Re: 2015 Patriots Football
« Reply #390 on: November 24, 2015, 11:53:31 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Question to the posters who have played the game and actually know it. How much trouble are the Pats in next week? Is Brady going to even survive this game?

I think things will be ok with the offensive line. At this point, they have everyone back but Solder. So I think it's a matter of some guys like Vollmer and Cannon shaking some rust.

It also depends on Amendola and Dobson. If they are ok, the Pats should be fine. A healthy Jamie Collins would also make Denver's day that much harder.
I hope you're right. Are there offensive lineman getting activated next week that weren't against the Bills?
The only inactive OL was Tre' Jackson, so what you see is what you get. Let's hope it's just shaking off some rust, but it's not a good sign they had to bench Andrews. I wonder who starts at C next week.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #391 on: November 24, 2015, 12:20:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Pats are gonna have to get creative next few weeks.  The defense will need to step up.  I'm guessing lots of short passes, power rushes, and field goals.

I'm surprised they haven't involved Scott Chandler more.  That guy can catch passes and make plays, not just at the goal line.  Maybe they need him in pass protection.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #392 on: November 24, 2015, 12:31:56 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Question to the posters who have played the game and actually know it. How much trouble are the Pats in next week? Is Brady going to even survive this game?

I think things will be ok with the offensive line. At this point, they have everyone back but Solder. So I think it's a matter of some guys like Vollmer and Cannon shaking some rust.

It also depends on Amendola and Dobson. If they are ok, the Pats should be fine. A healthy Jamie Collins would also make Denver's day that much harder.
I hope you're right. Are there offensive lineman getting activated next week that weren't against the Bills?
The only inactive OL was Tre' Jackson, so what you see is what you get. Let's hope it's just shaking off some rust, but it's not a good sign they had to bench Andrews. I wonder who starts at C next week.

Vollmer and Cannon clearly didn't play as well as they did earlier in the year. I think there was quite a bit of rust. And i don't see center as a big concern either: Stork was great last year and pretty good after he replaced Andrews last night. The only tweak I'd do is flip Vollmer to LT. Cannon seemed especially overmatched there.

« Reply #393 on: November 24, 2015, 12:43:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Vollmer and Cannon clearly didn't play as well as they did earlier in the year. I think there was quite a bit of rust. And i don't see center as a big concern either: Stork was great last year and pretty good after he replaced Andrews last night. The only tweak I'd do is flip Vollmer to LT. Cannon seemed especially overmatched there.
We're short on OLs, and have two Cs with little positional versatility (no, I don't ever want to see Stork at T again). That's where the concern is.

All in all, the line was like Swiss cheese. They also tried Fleming at RT at some point, and he looked awful.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #394 on: November 24, 2015, 12:44:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I'm surprised they haven't involved Scott Chandler more.  That guy can catch passes and make plays, not just at the goal line.  Maybe they need him in pass protection.
They tried, he just seems pretty awful. Can't get open, and when he does, can't catch the ball half the time. Also seemed slow and unable to break tackles, but I guess not everyone is Gronk.

He looks worse than Hoomanawanui if you ask me.

« Reply #395 on: November 24, 2015, 12:54:34 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
After this season, how is Belichick not the coach of the year? He's been playing with Brady, Gronk, Gostowski and a bunch of mini-Ditkas out there. And now with Amendola going in for an MRI...

Mike

« Reply #396 on: November 24, 2015, 12:55:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
They tried, he just seems pretty awful. Can't get open, and when he does, can't catch the ball half the time. Also seemed slow and unable to break tackles, but I guess not everyone is Gronk.

It's strange, because that dude always made plays against the Pats.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #397 on: November 24, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

It's strange, because that dude always made plays against the Pats.
The Jarreth Jack symptom.

« Reply #398 on: November 24, 2015, 01:21:24 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
We're short on OLs, and have two Cs with little positional versatility (no, I don't ever want to see Stork at T again). That's where the concern is.

All in all, the line was like Swiss cheese. They also tried Fleming at RT at some point, and he looked awful.

Well, I agree that they are weak at tackle. But I am confident with the interior in guys like Stork, Mason, Jackson, and Kline.

Vollmer is a very good tackle. If he's at 100%, he should at least be competent at LT if they put him there. Cannon is a bit of a wildcard, but again, when healthy, he has proven to be at least decent.

So while I have concerns about health, I am confident that a healthy OL of Vollmer, Jackson/Kline, Stork, Mason, and Cannon is good enough for the Pats to succeed.

« Reply #399 on: November 24, 2015, 01:27:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
So while I have concerns about health, I am confident that a healthy OL of Vollmer, Jackson/Kline, Stork, Mason, and Cannon is good enough for the Pats to succeed.
Right, but a lot of the early OL success came from the ability to rotate 8 competent linement (we had (Mason, Cannon, and Kline taking semiregular snaps off the bench), and being able to limit Mason strictly to run downs. When you're down to 6 healthy OLs, expect them to wear out quicker and be less effective.

« Reply #400 on: November 24, 2015, 02:18:46 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
Right, but a lot of the early OL success came from the ability to rotate 8 competent linement (we had (Mason, Cannon, and Kline taking semiregular snaps off the bench), and being able to limit Mason strictly to run downs. When you're down to 6 healthy OLs, expect them to wear out quicker and be less effective.

Well, aside from Solder what has changed? They'll still be able to rotate Jackson, Anderson, and Fleming in with the starters and they could still take out Mason on passing downs.  I think a lot of it has to do with getting healthy, knocking off rust, and re-gelling as a unit.

The loss of Solder hurts, but the rest of the line is now back and most of them have already proven to be competent when healthy.

« Reply #401 on: November 24, 2015, 05:12:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Patriots WR Danny Amendola has a sprained knee and is not expected to miss extended time, according to a report from Comcast SportsNet. Amendola left Monday’s game late in the third quarter and underwent an MRI on Tuesday to determine the severity of the injury. The Patriots were cautiously optimistic it wasn’t a serious injury and the MRI confirmed it, according to ComcastSportsNet.

« Reply #402 on: November 24, 2015, 05:13:47 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

« Reply #403 on: November 24, 2015, 05:39:11 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Yeah, relief that Amendola is not long-term.  Less of a factor, but good news also that dobson's injury isn't as bad as originally thought.     I wouldn't be too upset if they both sat against Denver and pats go with 2 tight ends and primarily work to establish the run.  See if the defense can win another one.

« Reply #404 on: November 24, 2015, 06:53:58 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
So that means the Pats will have, what, LaFell and Harper next week? With Slater as an emergency WR? Yikes.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis